Re: Outhouses for those in tents

Tim McCormick

a Hygiene Working Group was one of the top priority directions identified at the June 25 Forum, as described in item #3 of the post-event wrapup post here: https://groups.io/g/pdxshelterforum/message/10.

With this conversation we could say it is now in action -- subproject to examine current hygiene needs & responses, help and develop them or perhaps new ones. Thanks for suggestions, everyone, and let's keep in mind we're here to surface and share ideas, we shouldn't feel like we have to be already expert-level informed or have complete solutions, for it to be constructive discussion.

Despite the thread subject line, I'd ask: need this be only for 'those in tents'? perhaps they could be, for anyone in public, run as a revenue-making service by houseless caretakers. Public toilets are a general need, just like housing is a general need, and I'm in favor of approaches that assume we're all in the same boat and make use of that equation. What if we conceived some kind of 2.0 version of the Portland Loo, designed for agile street-community deployment & maintenance? [also, why need the unhoused be in tents? Let's get/build better, safer dwelling setups].

Also, could they be composting, or exploring/demonstrating something other than our standard, biohazardous & industrialized sewage-pumpout method? There is loads of work going on globally, and keen interesting locally/regionally, to develop new more sustainable & efficient ways to do facilities like this.

Q #1:  can anyone with leads/contacts at Downtown Neighborhood Association, City, etc try to find out for us what is this recent funding of 50 additional outhouses?  Who's been funded, is it a budget allocation or a contract, what stipulations are on it as to how it's done? This seems like the current boat in the water, let's see if/how it might be steered.

Meanwhile, significant existing community-driven efforts include:

1) Hygiene4All project led by Sandra Comstock (Sandra@..., Bcc-ed here), as mentioned by Barb.
This aims to create a prototype 2-toilet, houseless-designed & -run hygiene facility in the Central Eastside.
h4apdx.org.
facebook.com/HygieneForA/.

2) Cascadia Clusters, led by Andy Olshin who presented at the Forum and proposed there this as near-term focus.
They are currently focusing on ShowerPod units, solar/propane powered, including one currently deployed at times in Old Town as Andy's picture on other thread shows.

ANDY any ideas/plans for toilet/outhouse structures? I imagine it's been suggested or discussed.

Personally, mobile bathrooms designed/build/run like CC does seem WAY more appealing and appropriate than Port-a-Potties, everything about which signals emergency/temporary / non-housed / outcasting. I'd rather we avoided things we can't imagine a Commissioner / senior official / leader putting in their own back yard or vacation property.

On Sun, Jul 26, 2020 at 3:16 PM Darlene Urban Garrett <darleneurbangarrett@...> wrote:
Barb,

I don't think we are reinventing anything or even inventing anything. We are saying more safe, clean, sanitary options need to be made available and funding needs to be allocated for this.Camping on the sidewalks is literally doing nothing for no one.

I believe those that are unsheltered should be involved, espicially doing camp oversight , management, helping to find sites, and  moving people to safe sanitary locations.

I also believe that just because a person does not have lived experience, does not mean they cannot help. A wise doctor once told me that you don't have to have the problem in order to know how to cure it.

Best
Darlene