ACTION for unsheltered: by Tues 4pm, write or sign up to testify at City Council Weds re $128M funding

Tim McCormick

A significant decision point and precedent-setting will occur Weds 9:30am-12pm, with a City Council 2nd hearing and vote: to "accept and appropriate $128M in [Federal CARES Act funds] and delegate authority to the Program Bureau Directors to execute contracts."

In the proposed plan, $19M is slated to go to the Joint Office of Homeless Services (city/county joint agency), without a clear plan for how they will spend it. We share the urgent concern of Commissionar JoAnn Hardesty who has announced her opposition to the plan:
"We continue to spend all of our resources on people who already have some kind of temporary shelter, and almost none on people who [do] not.”

We need to get people testifying and writing in steadily, to push City/County to fairly consider and expand cost-effective, empowering, alternative shelter and village options which the community widely supports. We need new villages soon, as existing C3PO camp permits end, and a mass eviction crisis looms.

1) Send written testimony:  Email the Council Clerk at cctestimony@.... Say who you are, where you live, how you're involved, and briefly & specifically what you urge.

2) Sign up to testify and get meeting link:

https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_1liDKB38TsCccbZhaBN75A

Specify agenda item 596 as what you're testifying on, this will you called at the right time, which will be sometime after 9:30am Weds.

Background:

a) last week's 1st hearing on it:
https://www.portlandmercury.com/blogtown/2020/07/15/28642033/city-council-considers-a-114-million-covid-19-relief-proposal
b) the agenda item (No. 596):

https://www.portlandoregon.gov/auditor/article/763917

onward and upward (from street and houselessness)..
Tim.