Topics

What cad software is everyone using?

Marc <dfs@...>

I've seen several references to Eagle, so I know at least some of you guys are using it.

I bought the non-commercial copy of Eagle 7.X several years ago.

Now that Autocad has taken over and tried to force everyone to an annual subscription I'm

either going to continue with the V. 7.6.0 release I have, or find something new.

Anyone know where to download the LAST 7.x.x release, and what version it is?

Years ago It was a close call between buying Eagle and 'Target 3001!'.

I chose Eagle. I have not used it a lot and I'm not worried about the learning curve of switching to something else.

Supposedly 'Target 3001!' can spit out Gerber files.

I'm not exactly clear on how PCB-GCODE generates its tool paths. Does it take the Gerber Files and trace around the

defined copper?

In short there is a ton of info on the net about the various EDC/CAD/CAM packages but the devil seems to be in the details

of actually USING them in the real world.

Also a lot has changed and I think most of the tutorials, reviews and comparisons are out of date and not representative

of the current 2017 state of affairs.

I'm also considering trying to start using CPLDs & FPGAs on a Personal/Hobby basis.

When you can dynamically change the use of given pins, I presume they would best be configured/altered at the board routing phase.

How is that normally done in the hobby/personal use market space?

I know about the super expensive commercial systems, but this is just for personal use, I won't be buying any of those packages.

Marc

Art Eckstein

Pcb-Gcode is an add in ULP (User language Program) designed specifically for Eagle. As far as I know, it will not work with any other program. So if a person wants to use Pcb-Gcode ulp, it follows they are also using Eage or some version of it.

Now having stated that, I am still using V 6.1.0.  As I remember, when V7 came out there were some bugs so I never went to it and as has been noted recently, there are definite problems with V8 beyond the fact that it has been taken over by Autodesk. As a retired engineer, I follow the principal of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" .  V6 works very well for me and Pcb-Gcode V3.6.2.4 is very stable as well.  Again, as this is a hobby for me, why go through the learning curve of new versions that usually contain more fluff than substantial new "features"?  The only problem I ran into recently was a new library that I downloaded and it cautioned some new feature wasn't compatible with my version of Eagle, but it still ran just fine and all the necessary pins, labels, etc were there and it worked.

On another note, I was conversing with JJ recently and with his requirements at school, it will be some time before he will be able to devote a fair amount of time to doing any major upgrades to the system.  There may be more news on that subject from him in the near future.

[...]

Thank You.

I feel a little stupid, I didn't even consider if being an Eagle ULP Extension.

I joined the list quite some time ago and forgot about the details, and why I was interested in the first place. It supported Eagle...

For what it's worth, I found Target 3001! has an isolation milling function built in.

No idea if it's any good or not.

Thanks.
Marc

�

� At 02:11 PM 4/17/2017, you wrote:

[...]

Harvey White

On Mon, 17 Apr 2017 12:11:31 -0600, you wrote:

I've seen several references to Eagle, so I know at least some of you
guys are using it.

I bought the non-commercial copy of Eagle 7.X several years ago.
Stay with it unless you like whatever additional features there are or
you adore the subscription model.

Now that Autocad has taken over and tried to force everyone to an annual
subscription I'm

either going to continue with the V. 7.6.0 release I have, or find
something new.
7.7 exists. Look at the yahoo eagle cad list, I think that they had a
link to the 7.7 version.

Anyone know where to download the LAST 7.x.x release, and what version
it is?

Years ago It was a close call between buying Eagle and 'Target 3001!'.

I chose Eagle. I have not used it a lot and I'm not worried about the
learning curve of switching to something else.
People either love it or hate it, I've seen few who are indifferent to
it.

Supposedly 'Target 3001!' can spit out Gerber files.

So can eagle.

I'm not exactly clear on how PCB-GCODE generates its tool paths. Does it
take the Gerber Files and trace around the

defined copper?
Nope, reads the board files directly, as has been mentioned, is a ULP
program.

In short there is a ton of info on the net about the various EDC/CAD/CAM
packages but the devil seems to be in the details
Likely always is.

of actually USING them in the real world.

Also a lot has changed and I think most of the tutorials, reviews and
comparisons are out of date and not representative

of the current 2017 state of affairs.
Yep. However, it's not too bad once you figure out how it is supposed
to work. Similar for almost anything like that, though.

I'm also considering trying to start using CPLDs & FPGAs on a
Personal/Hobby basis.

When you can dynamically change the use of given pins, I presume they
would best be configured/altered at the board routing phase.
Yes, true.

How is that normally done in the hobby/personal use market space?
Depends on what you're doing. For a specific design, I pick a pinout
based on routing, then see if the VHDL and router can handle that.
Many times you have to look at specific (NON-generic) pin functions,
such as boot, data inputs, clock lines, and resets.

I know about the super expensive commercial systems, but this is just
for personal use, I won't be buying any of those packages.
I use Xilinx, and ISE design suite 14.7. Be aware that there are
issues with 14.7 and windows 8, which requires replacing a DLL with an
alternate DLL. No idea about win10, don't use it.

Again, optimize layout for PCB, see if the chip can support it.
oh, and be VERY religious with the bypass capacitors, putting them as
close to the pins as you can.

OSHPARK can take Eagle files if you run into a design you can't make.
Plated through holes and fine traces are the problem. In the more
dense PC boards you may find this a problem. However, for OSHPARK
(and other commercial suppliers), board size is the driver=cost; while
in home made boards, producibility and not putting vias under chips is
the major criteria.

Harvey

Marc

John Dammeyer

I'm still using Protel99SE even though I have a newer version of Altium.  So far I haven't upgraded my CNC router to using the new ball screws and rails I bought so it's still a bit too imprecise for PC boards.

I can't see any reason to upgrade my Altium to a newer version.
John

peterg1000

After problems with earlier revisions of Eagle 8 when running pcb-gcode ulp, the latest revision  (Eagle 8.1.0 ) seems to be problem free when generating tool paths. There is no problem in using the freeware version, one just needs to register with Autodesk

There are however two annoying pcb-gcode problems, Firstly, the graphic on the setup programme is totally garbled although the remainder of the programme operates as it always did.

Secondly, the preview option has never worked for me, in spite of downloading Java. I've given up trying and now use the toolpath preview in UCCNC control software.  This software will run in demo mode without a UC100 license and can load pcb-gcode files directly for viewing.

Marc <dfs@...>

Thanks everyone.

Good pointer to the Eagle Yahoo Group, didn't know there was one.

I've look at parts & dev. board prices and think I'll probably start with the Altera MAX II CPLD Devices.

Dev board for less than 10 bucks and EPM240T100C5N TQFP100 devices for about $1.25.

I know they are trailing edge technology, but they appear to still be supported on the latest free

Intel/Altera tools

�