Topics

Viewer problems

Art Eckstein

As noted in a few previous posts, we now have a problem using "viewer" to check our boards IF we have updated java to V8 (or as it is recognized in viewer 1.8). So today, was doing some looking around and find that in my case as I use windows, it seems the stupid registry is the cause of the problem. Looking in the program files, I find that all the 1.7 info is there, but viewer will not recognize. it. I would rather not simply reload java 7 because of its use in a variety of programs most notably in my browser for various functions.
Now having said that, I did some searching in the source files of the viewer and find the mention of 1.7 only in the "Release" file. I changed that to 1.8, in hopes it might make a difference, but to no avail. I also tried using the old dos trick of putting the java files in the viewer directory to see if it would possibly look there first, but still no success.

If I was as smart as some people on this board, I would simply recompile if I knew how!!!!!!!

Anybody got any ideas they might be able to share???

John Johnson <john6060842@...>

Apologies, this is crappy support (update: it didn't work, read before attempting):

Download Processing:

open viewer/viewer.pde in Processing
File | Export Application
Turn the check boxes on for the OSes you need.
Click Export
and bam, it takes you to an error page that says the code in the viewer needs to be updated.

Sorry, just can't do it right now. I might be able to look at it this weekend, or if it's an easy fix maybe some kind soul can post the fix here.

On Mar 19, 2015, at 5:05 PM, Art Eckstein art.eckstein@... [pcb-gcode] <pcb-gcode@...> wrote:

[...]

JJ,
No apologies necessary, I posted this so maybe this ole fart can learn something!!!  I know your busy and thought maybe someone else might be able to solve our problem and then we all learn!

Will give your direction a try and see what happens.  Hey, at the worst is it will break it!

Country bubba

https://processing.org/download/?processing

[...]

Ward Elder

Here is a DropBox link to the recompiled viewer.  I embedded Java into it so the .exe is larger.  There are two folders application.windows32 and 64.  Copy the contents of the one you want to use into your ulp\viewer\application.windows folder .  This version worked fine for me with Eagle 7.2.0 and Windows 8.1 x64

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/hprbutsmxe5ys87/AACgrfr79L6vI5lY1UonDV70a?dl=0

Thank you,

Ward M. Elder

ElderSoft

42 Appleton St.

Winnipeg, MB

R2G1K5

(204) 791-7754   (Cell)

ward@...

[...]

Ward,
Thanks for trying, but it isn't working right for me.  I tried both versions and while it does not throw an error, I am not seeing the actual viewer screens that I am accustomed to.  Will keep playing around with it to see if I can make it work properly.

Just for the record, I am using:
Eagle Version 6.1.0 for  Windows

 and pcb-gcode Version 3.6.2.4

On Win7

[...]

Too bad.  My Windows 8.1 64 bit is happy with Eagle 7.2.0.  I will try to recompile “without” Java being included.

I have recompiled the viewer.exe without Java included.  Same DropBox location:  https://www.dropbox.com/sh/hprbutsmxe5ys87/AACgrfr79L6vI5lY1UonDV70a?dl=0

[...]

Thanks once again, but still not getting the "view", get the message to close the screen, but never see it to begin with. Will keep playing with it to see if I am not the problem.  (Probably am)