Topics

V3.1.1.1

Art Eckstein <a_eckstein@...>

JJ,
I am "attempting" (unsuccessfully) to modify this system to suit my
particular situation and the way I work.

I have been trying to put a "conditional" statement in the
"user-gcode.h", but correct me if I am wrong; This is the wrong place
to do it and I may have to put it in the "pcb-file-utils.h" file????

OOPS:
After writing the above, I answered my own question:})

Yep, the conditional went into the "pcb-file-utils.h" and works like
a charm. I even got the "if" statements the right way around the
first time (and I think that is a first also) :-)

Now if I can just get the fixture made and make some pcb

Art

PS: if you would like, I will forward my changes to you for your use,
but unless someone has a setup "similar" to mine, it won't do much good.

John Johnson <johnatl@...>

I would like to see what you did. I thought I had enough insertion points that it would only be a matter of filling in the blanks.

Thanks for the update!

On 06-Jan-2006, at 17:55, Art Eckstein wrote:

JJ,
I am "attempting" (unsuccessfully) to modify this system to suit my
particular situation and the way I work.

I have been trying to put a "conditional" statement in the
"user-gcode.h", but correct me if I am wrong; This is the wrong place
to do it and I may have to put it in the "pcb-file-utils.h" file????

OOPS:
After writing the above, I answered my own question:})

Yep, the conditional went into the "pcb-file-utils.h" and works like
a charm. I even got the "if" statements the right way around the
first time (and I think that is a first also) :-)

Now if I can just get the fixture made and make some pcb

Art

PS: if you would like, I will forward my changes to you for your use,
but unless someone has a setup "similar" to mine, it won't do much good.

Yahoo! Groups Links

---
Help everyone. If you can't do that, then at least be nice.

Art Eckstein <a_eckstein@...>

JJ,
Being sent direct to you!

[...]

satchid23

Dear JJ,

Wonderful changes, I am surprised that the mm changes are already in.

Something else:

Apart from the machine dependent settings, could the settings be settings
that are practically usable? I am asking this because I am a novice in this.
I have no clue what are the most standard setting for PCB mechanical
etching. I would like to ask you to put basic save sizes in the basic setup.
Then if someone like me starts without even changing these settings, there
could be a reasonable good board turned out and no damage done to the tools.
Then after gaining some experience the novice can start tuning these
settings to his own experience.

I was also looking at the milling depth: could there be a slip in decimal
places.

Another thing:

Would It not be easier that the G-code default filename would be the same as
the eagle board file name from what it was created with the possibility to
change it when one needed that. Then the command to make G-code from an
eagle board would be: run g-code. Then a popup screen would appear to show
the place and filename. Then a "save" or "change and save" would do the job.
The popup screen could remember the directory where the G-code was placed
before. This would be more like standard saving in the windows environment.

I know that this might be a loooooot of work, therefore it is only a
suggestion. I am not a programmer, and know not how much work these things
are.

Thanks for what you already accomplished for us. I made my first board and,
even with a to large bit, it looks great.

Greetings

Willy

[...]

Electronics
<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Electronics+hobby&w1=Electronics+hobby&
w2=Craft+hobby&w3=Hobby+and+craft+supply&w4=Electronics+software&w5=Electron
ics&w6=Printed+circuit+board&c=6&s=138&.sig=F1C2uve5xjqxrb-0LKOwJg> hobby

Craft
<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Craft+hobby&w1=Electronics+hobby&w2=Cra
ft+hobby&w3=Hobby+and+craft+supply&w4=Electronics+software&w5=Electronics&w6
=Printed+circuit+board&c=6&s=138&.sig=GshLuLStUduDsa41DTPJDQ> hobby

Hobby
<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Hobby+and+craft+supply&w1=Electronics+h
obby&w2=Craft+hobby&w3=Hobby+and+craft+supply&w4=Electronics+software&w5=Ele
ctronics&w6=Printed+circuit+board&c=6&s=138&.sig=jJOqIaLugJQzT_ast_klYQ>
and craft supply

Electronics
<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Electronics+software&w1=Electronics+hob
by&w2=Craft+hobby&w3=Hobby+and+craft+supply&w4=Electronics+software&w5=Elect
ronics&w6=Printed+circuit+board&c=6&s=138&.sig=2dAhhdrn66Pf50zighewYQ>
software

Electronics
<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Electronics&w1=Electronics+hobby&w2=Cra
ft+hobby&w3=Hobby+and+craft+supply&w4=Electronics+software&w5=Electronics&w6
=Printed+circuit+board&c=6&s=138&.sig=V4Ecroq-jEr2vA0J9eAa0A>

Printed
<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Printed+circuit+board&w1=Electronics+ho
bby&w2=Craft+hobby&w3=Hobby+and+craft+supply&w4=Electronics+software&w5=Elec
tronics&w6=Printed+circuit+board&c=6&s=138&.sig=H8TOSFfQV9XuLw3ifC18fA>
circuit board

_____

YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

* Visit your group "pcb-gcode
<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/pcb-gcode> " on the web.

_____

John Johnson <johnatl@...>

On 07-Jan-2006, at 06:43, Satchid wrote:
Wonderful changes, I am surprised that the mm changes are already in.
Thanks!

Apart from the machine dependent settings, could the settings be settings
that are practically usable? I am asking this because I am a novice in this.
I have no clue what are the most standard setting for PCB mechanical
etching. I would like to ask you to put basic save sizes in the basic setup.
Then if someone like me starts without even changing these settings, there
could be a reasonable good board turned out and no damage done to the tools.
Then after gaining some experience the novice can start tuning these
settings to his own experience.
I believe I started with that, but I think the feedrate of 60IPM is really high. Should start at 10IPM or so. I'll change the isolation and step values too. Again, these got changed as time went on. I'll setup some safe settings and try to leave them alone :-)

I was also looking at the milling depth: could there be a slip in decimal
places.
I'll check on that.

Would It not be easier that the G-code default filename would be the same as
the eagle board file name from what it was created with the possibility to
change it when one needed that. Then the command to make G-code from an
eagle board would be: run g-code. Then a popup screen would appear to show
the place and filename. Then a "save" or "change and save" would do the job.
The popup screen could remember the directory where the G-code was placed
before. This would be more like standard saving in the windows environment.
It already does the first part of your request. If you
run pcb-gcode
the files are saved where ever the board file is. They are also named the same as the board, with the usual "bot, top, bd, etc." added, plus the extension from gcode-defaults.h. As far as the Save window, I'll enter that as a request, then think on it. I like my software like waitresses in my favorite restaurants, they are there when you need them, but unobtrusive otherwise. "I'll get you some more water. Here is your water. I'll get you some bread. Here is some bread for you., etc."

I know that this might be a loooooot of work, therefore it is only a
suggestion. I am not a programmer, and know not how much work these things
are.
Actually, the unit conversion wasn't that bad. I was kind of surprised. I'm using techniques learned from the Pragmatic Programmers (http://www.pragprog.com) and they really help. I'm also using Subversion to keep up with all the changes in the files. Again, another /great/ help. (I know you aren't interested in programming, but someone reading this at a later date might be.)

Programmers need non-programmers to keep the software usable :-) There are so many things that don't make sense with software, that's why it is so hard to learn. For example, if you're working on a document in a program and want to print it, you go to the File menu. We're used to this now, but if you think about it, you want to Print the document, not File it. This is just the tip of the iceberg, of course.

Thanks for what you already accomplished for us. I made my first board and,
even with a to large bit, it looks great.
Glad it's working for you Willy!
I've used a lot of things to cut boards, from broken drill bits ground to a flat sided point, to a 0.020" end mill that I broke, 0.010" end mills (not broken), and a 60 deg V cutter. Everything seems to work pretty well. The edges of the copper seem to be affected the most. The broken bits leave a kind of "coin edge" on the copper. That is, the copper kind of rolls up in small globs. The better cutters improve that. Speaking of cutters, I just ordered a couple from Think & Tinker (with Daya, another user in the group). I'm looking forward to getting my machine back
together so I'll be able to use them.

Happy routing, and thanks again for the suggestions.

---
Help everyone. If you can't do that, then at least be nice.

dayap1

--- In pcb-gcode@..., John Johnson <johnatl@m...> wrote:

On 07-Jan-2006, at 06:43, Satchid wrote:
Wonderful changes, I am surprised that the mm changes are already
in.

Thanks!
Part of message deleted here

[...]

Hi JJ,
Fedex tells me that the bits will be delivered on the 12th Thursday.
Please send me an email with your mailing address, or other means of
getting the cutters to you.

By the way, I played around with the latest version of the program
with menus etc, and I like the idea of not having to directly change
header files. Nice Job!

I an curious-- what's your day job? I am a software designer working
on Telecomm products (DSLAMs, Routers etc)

Regards.

Daya.

---
Help everyone. If you can't do that, then at least be nice.