Subject: [pcb-gcode] RE: Autoleveller first try
To: pcb-gcode@...
Date: Sunday, October 13, 2013, 2:13 PM

Yep, move the tool tip about 3/8" above
the surface and zero Z. When the probing procedure starts,
the tool probes slightly more than -3/8". It should say
something about zeroing the Z in the comments  of the gcode
file too.
From
your description, that does sounds like what's happening
here but I could be wrong.
best,

---In pcb-gcode@...,
<brc_q@...> wrote:

So what
your saying is set Z to zero while the tool bit is approx.
3/8" above the PCB surface?

On Sunday, October 13, 2013 7:40 AM,
"daedelus1982@..." <daedelus1982@...>
wrote:

Right at the start, you need to zero your Z axis
to approximately 3/8" above the surface of the
material, so this could be the cause of the other problems
if you didnt do this. http://www.autoleveller.co.uk/autoleveller-guide/
Try
to test on some scrap matierial and maybe some older tool
bits first but let me know it the problem
persists.
best,James.

---In
pcb-gcode@..., <pcb-gcode@...>
wrote:

So after getting the
autoleveller windows version running ok I had the
autoleveller run my gcode as generated
by pcb-gcode. It generated the new g-code with probing
and z movement corrections ok as far as
I can see but the file is somewhat obscure to me since
I have no idea how the corrections are implimented.
(Would be nice when running autoleveller if it could
remember linuxCNC or Mach3 selection for next time)
I set up my pcb mill and started the gcode with
levelling, since I start at the right side being a bottom
etch
the machine moves the spindle all the way to the left
side of the pcb but within bounds of the pcb outline.
Then it sat there with no z axis movement, I hit cycle
start again then it started moving the z axis and
taking
measurements. The first time it went along most of the
path then near the last 2 tracks it was like not getting
the
probe contact so would drive down that 1/16 of an inch.
So I stopped it rechecked the probe contact using
mach3
diag screen and it showed it was working. Reset
everything and tried again, this time it made it all the
way, probed
70 points then stopped for a tool change which I
didn't have to do since I was using the engraving bit as
the
contact. I hit cycle start again to continue and the
spindle went to the first spot and the z axis went down
BUT
didn't stop where it should have and went thru the
pcb and into the table. The tip of the bit broke off but it
still
cut ok just made a wider path which was fine for the
pcb I was doing and didn't need to take multiple runs.

Like I said at the beginning I looked at the gcode that
autoleveller generated but can't tell why the z axis
went
that deep. I did restart the pcb engraving with out
leveller corrections and it ran ok other than the engraving
width
was wider since the bit tip was damaged (a Soigeneris
bit I might add, it took a licking but kept on
ticking).
I would be willing to upload or send the autolevelled
gcode file so someone that is familiar with its coding
can tell me why the z axis did what it did.
Thanks,
Bruce

glennashmore

I combine the files and add a tool change and touch off between functions.

mlmcnc

Hi Bruce,

I'm glad you were successful.
Regarding your wish to use Autoleveller for Milling and Engraving.
1) Milling - I'm assuming that your spoilboard has been surfaced prior to your mounting the PCB on it. If so, there shouldn't be a need to autolevel the milling paths as you will be cutting through the board, the bottom face of which should therefore be level unlike the top.

2) Text - One solution that works for me is to cut the text gcode from the text file and append it to the etch file. Then run it through Autoleveller

Regards
Martin Marriott
mlmSolutions

--- In pcb-gcode@..., bruce q <brc_q@...> wrote:

Well I tried the autoleveler again this time on a different engraver and I really needed it to work since
my first attempt at engraving a larger pcb on this new machine I was getting a big difference in
Z height.
So I have to report the leveling went like a charm ( as long as I heed the 3/8" Z start), worked great!
The only thing I wish it had was a way to use the Z corrections on other engraving processes
like milling the outline of the pcb and engraving text on the pcb too. I can't re-probe with the traces
engraved already since the probe could end up in a engraved out spot.
Bruce

To: pcb-gcode@...
Date: Sunday, October 13, 2013, 2:13 PM

wrote:

[...]

bruce q

Yes, that thought had occurred to me but the tool change and resetting Z to touch off could be problematic. I may try that though.

Subject: RE: UPDATE:Re: [pcb-gcode] RE: Autoleveller first try
To: pcb-gcode@...
Date: Friday, January 31, 2014, 4:16 AM

I combine the files and add a tool change
and touch off between functions.

bruce q

For milling the outline of the PCB I am not going through the PCB but just creating a line to use for trimming/cutting
the PCB. Eventually I would like to go right through and leave connection spots (their name eludes me right now)
where I can breakaway the PCB.

Combining the text file with the etch file will work but I haven't tried that yet and looks easy to do.

Another commented to combine files milling and text to the etch file, I will start with the text file first and see how that works.

Oh and I haven't surfaced a "spoilboard" to make things flat and I have thought of doing it but I am relying on autoleveler
to take care of this flatness issue for me. A "spoilboard" will be in the works later.
Thanks,
Bruce

Subject: UPDATE:Re: [pcb-gcode] RE: Autoleveller first try
To: pcb-gcode@...
Date: Friday, January 31, 2014, 4:48 AM

Hi Bruce,

<pcb-gcode@...>

> [...]

the

> pcb I was doing and didn't need to take multiple
runs.

> Like I said at the beginning I looked at the gcode
that

> autoleveller generated but can't tell why the z
axis

> went

> that deep. I did restart the pcb engraving with out

> leveller corrections and it ran ok other than the
engraving

> width

> was wider since the bit tip was damaged (a
Soigeneris

> bit I might add, it took a licking but kept on

> ticking).

> I would be willing to upload or send the
autolevelled

> gcode file so someone that is familiar with its
coding

> can tell me why the z axis did what it did.

glennashmore

I keep the following code fragment in a separate file and insert it between the drill, etch and mill files.

( ----------------------------------------------------------------)
(  Tool change with touch off for Autoleveler files)
(Insert between drill and etch files )
G00 Z0.1000
M5                        (Stop spindle)
G00 Z2.5000          (Go to origin for tool change)
G00 X0.1000  Y0.0000 (Offset slightly to avoid alignment drill)
M6                        (connect probe lead & Change the tool)
G00 Z0.2500
G31 Z-0.375 F4       (Do a rough probe and set Z to 0)
G92 Z0
G00 Z0.1000
G31 Z-0.1250 F2      (Fine tune Z)
G92 Z0
G00 Z0.1000
M3                          (Start spindle)