Topics

tinning prep that worked

John Ferguson

Bingo,

cleaning up the board with 800 grit crocus cloth and then acetone produced perfect tinning. I guess the alcohol I used on an earlier board didn't really get all the oil/grease off.

Thanks for the suggestions.

john

casy_ch@tbwil.ch

I always do it first with alcohol and then with steel wool used for saucepans in the kitchen. The latter confer a nice surface to the copper and tinning is no problem.

Jean-Claude

Am 08.05.2017 um 16:17 schrieb john jferg977@... [pcb-gcode]:

Bingo,

cleaning up the board with 800 grit crocus cloth and then acetone
produced perfect tinning. I guess the alcohol I used on an earlier
board didn't really get all the oil/grease off.

Thanks for the suggestions.

john

Harvey White

On Mon, 8 May 2017 17:05:16 +0200, you wrote:

I always do it first with alcohol and then with steel wool used for
saucepans in the kitchen. The latter confer a nice surface to the copper
and tinning is no problem.
I've heard tales of the fragments of steel getting embedded in the
board and causing problems. That's why I use the wet/dry 1000 grit
paper.

Harvey

Jean-Claude

Am 08.05.2017 um 16:17 schrieb john jferg977@... [pcb-gcode]:

Bingo,

cleaning up the board with 800 grit crocus cloth and then acetone
produced perfect tinning. I guess the alcohol I used on an earlier
board didn't really get all the oil/grease off.

Thanks for the suggestions.

My personal favorite is a green scotchbrite pad along with some acetone.