Topics

Profile for Piranha FX CNC Router

John Poindexter

Has anybody written a profile for a Piranha FX CNC router?  It has limited g-code processing: only G0, G1, G2, G3, M3. M2, F and S.  Also it uses ijk format for arcs rather than the R format.

Art Eckstein

John,
It appears that nobody else will step forward with a file and I can't help with that either.  Have you tried the "generic" post that comes with the package???  However, if it uses the same controller as the Shark and does NOT support the tool change command, it is beyond me to be able to solve.  We attempted this on the http://pcbgcode.org a while back and it is beyond me how to make a pp to work without tool changes.

Has anybody written a profile for a Piranha FX CNC router?  It has limited g-code processing: only G0, G1, G2, G3, M3. M2, F and S.  Also it uses ijk format for arcs rather than the R format.

Posted by: john.poindexter@...

John Johnson

Perhaps someone on the list knows of a free/cheap utility to convert R arcs to IJK arcs?
I found this editor, but it’s a bit spendy.

Sent with Unibox

On Mar 22, 2017, at 8:59 AM, Art Eckstein art.eckstein@... [pcb-gcode] wrote:

John,
It appears that nobody else will step forward with a file and I can't help with that either.  Have you tried the "generic" post that comes with the package???  However, if it uses the same controller as the Shark and does NOT support the tool change command, it is beyond me to be able to solve.  We attempted this on thehttp://pcbgcode.orga while back and it is beyond me how to make a pp to work without tool changes.

Has anybody written a profile for a Piranha FX CNC router?  It has limited g-code processing: only G0, G1, G2, G3, M3. M2, F and S.  Also it uses ijk format for arcs rather than the R format.

Posted by: john.poindexter@...

Harvey White

On Wed, 22 Mar 2017 08:59:59 -0400, you wrote:

John,
It appears that nobody else will step forward with a file and I can't
help with that either. Have you tried the "generic" post that comes
with the package??? However, if it uses the same controller as the
Shark and does NOT support the tool change command, it is beyond me
to be able to solve. We attempted this on the http://pcbgcode.org a
while back and it is beyond me how to make a pp to work without tool changes.
I've never tried it, and I am not going to claim to know all that much
about G code, but from a programming point of view, perhaps you could:

1) remember existing location
2) Z up as much as reasonable
3) pause
4) user message on screen
5) user manually changes tool
6) user hits continue
7) resume operations with new tool

Not elegant, but was it tried?

Harvey

Has anybody written a profile for a Piranha FX CNC router? It has
limited g-code processing: only G0, G1, G2, G3, M3. M2, F and
S. Also it uses ijk format for arcs rather than the R format.

----------
Posted by: john.poindexter@...

----------

Art Eckstein

Harvey,
The problem was that Tool changes are encoded in the G-code file and his controller puked on it because it does not recognize tool changes!

Good Thought though.

On Wed, 22 Mar 2017 08:59:59 -0400, you wrote:

>John,
>It appears that nobody else will step forward with a file and I can't
>help with that either.  Have you tried the "generic" post that comes
>with the package???  However, if it uses the same controller as the
>Shark and does NOT support the tool change command, it is beyond me
>to be able to solve.  We attempted this on the http://pcbgcode.org a
>while back and it is beyond me how to make a pp to work without tool changes.

I've never tried it, and I am not going to claim to know all that much
about G code, but from a programming point of view, perhaps you could:

1) remember existing location
2) Z up as much as reasonable
3) pause
4) user message on screen
5) user manually changes tool
6) user hits continue
7) resume operations with new tool

Not elegant, but was it tried?

Harvey

>Art
>Country Bubba
>

>At 07:39 PM 3/21/2017, you wrote:
>

>>Has anybody written a profile for a Piranha FX CNC router?  It has
>>limited g-code processing: only G0, G1, G2, G3, M3. M2, F and
>>S.  Also it uses ijk format for arcs rather than the R format.
>>

>>----------
>>Posted by: john.poindexter@...
>>
>>----------

Harvey White

On Wed, 22 Mar 2017 12:45:33 -0400, you wrote:

Harvey,
The problem was that Tool changes are encoded in the G-code file and
his controller puked on it because it does not recognize tool changes!

Good Thought though.
Aha. Write program in C, C++, Pascal or basic to parse file, and
substitute.

Could also be done with a text editor macro in word, for instance.

C compiler with "preprocess only?" enabled? #defines for macros? Not
sure if that would work.

Harvey

[...]

Trouble is you have to interface with his controller which happens to be some sort of chinesium usb one and we have no documentation.
Don't care what language you try to use, if we don't know the protocol, how can it be done.

Disclaimer, I am not a real programmer nor do I play one on TV!

On Wed, 22 Mar 2017 12:45:33 -0400, you wrote:

>Harvey,
>The problem was that Tool changes are encoded in the G-code file and
>his controller puked on it because it does not recognize tool changes!
>
>Good Thought though.

Aha.  Write program in C, C++, Pascal or basic to parse file, and
substitute.

Could also be done with a text editor macro in word, for instance.

C compiler with "preprocess only?" enabled?  #defines for macros?  Not
sure if that would work.

Harvey

>Art
>Country Bubba
>

>At 12:38 PM 3/22/2017, you wrote:
>>On Wed, 22 Mar 2017 08:59:59 -0400, you wrote:
>>
>> >John,
>> >It appears that nobody else will step forward with a file and I can't
>> >help with that either.  Have you tried the "generic" post that comes
>> >with the package???  However, if it uses the same controller as the
>> >Shark and does NOT support the tool change command, it is beyond me
>> >to be able to solve.  We attempted this on the http://pcbgcode.org a
>> >while back and it is beyond me how to make a pp to work without
>> tool changes.
>>
>>I've never tried it, and I am not going to claim to know all that much
>>about G code, but from a programming point of view, perhaps you could:
>>
>>1) remember existing location
>>2) Z up as much as reasonable
>>3) pause
>>4) user message on screen
>>5) user manually changes tool
>>6) user hits continue
>>7) resume operations with new tool
>>
>>Not elegant, but was it tried?
>>
>>Harvey
>>

>> >Art
>> >Country Bubba

------------------------------------
Posted by: Harvey White
------------------------------------

Patrick

Hey,

I'm using this java program:
To contoll a GRBL Controller over USB.

But the Program also have an export function.

greetings
Patrick

John Poindexter

Thank you all for your comments.  I'm going to continue my study and research.  I got a Piranha FX this winter primarily for woodworking, but I decided to try PCBs.  I have designed a boar monitoring system for our sailboat in Annapolis using a Raspberry Pi 3 and need an interface board for the sensor inputs.  So I'm new to the PCB carving world.  It is a rather simple interface board with a 12 to 5vdc power supply, a relay, and an ADC device, along with the sensor input wiring.  I've done the schematic and board layout in Eagle.

I had planned to use a 30 degree 2-flute carbide engraving bit with a 5mil tip to cut the traces.  All holes are of the same diameter.  So there is only 1 tool change involved.  I was assuming the hole drilling file would be separate from the engraving file so I could run the files on the Piranha in 2 different steps -- actually 3 to include the traces on the bottom of the board.

So I would modify the generic pp file to change the arc commands to use ijk format vice R and change the Drill commands to simply up and down commands for the Z axis.

John

Harvey White

On Wed, 22 Mar 2017 13:46:01 -0400, you wrote:

Trouble is you have to interface with his controller which happens to
be some sort of chinesium usb one and we have no documentation.
Don't care what language you try to use, if we don't know the
protocol, how can it be done.
Ok, I was thinking take G-code, munge it into another format as needed
(since we know what his controller doesn't like), then feed that to
the controller. Almost looks as if he's got a custom interface that
talks to his controller.

Disclaimer, I am not a real programmer nor do I play one on TV!
hmmm... I am, but I'm not on TV.... <grin>

Harvey

[...]

Posted by: Harvey White <madyn@...>
------------------------------------

David Whiteley

My elementary Tool Changer procedure in LinuxCNC is to stop the router (M5) send the router 1.5" above the job followed by (M0) for pause.
I have a 1.5" block to test the tool height above the job.
I then disable the router power, remove tool-1 and insert tool-2 sat on the block.
If the tool lengths are too different I have a switch that disables the stepper drivers and allows me to manually adjust the z height onto the block.
Remove the block.
Enable stepper drivers.
Enable router power.
Type "s" to continue.

John Poindexter

Thanks for your procedure.

John

My elementary Tool Changer procedure in LinuxCNC is to stop the router (M5) send the router 1.5" above the job followed by (M0) for pause.

I have a 1.5" block to test the tool height above the job.

I then disable the router power, remove tool-1 and insert tool-2 sat on the block.

If the tool lengths are too different I have a switch that disables the stepper drivers and allows me to manually adjust the z height onto the block.

Remove the block.

Enable stepper drivers.

Enable router power.

Type "s" to continue.

skybox

If you using Mach3 you may want to purchase 2010 Mach3. I believe it's $20 dollars or so.  It's a new screen set that also incorporates a new zero routine that allows a tool change. In essence, when the code comes upon a M6 it moves to a tool change location where the new tool is inserted.  You then click cycle run and it moves to a fixed plate where it automatically zeros the the new tool then moves to its cutting location. Well worth 20 dollars.

Roger

On Mar 23, 2017, at 2:23 PM, 'john.poindexter@...' john.poindexter@... [pcb-gcode] <pcb-gcode@...> wrote:

Thanks for your procedure.

John

My elementary Tool Changer procedure in LinuxCNC is to stop the router (M5) send the router 1.5" above the job followed by (M0) for pause.

I have a 1.5" block to test the tool height above the job.

I then disable the router power, remove tool-1 and insert tool-2 sat on the block.

If the tool lengths are too different I have a switch that disables the stepper drivers and allows me to manually adjust the z height onto the block.

Remove the block.

Enable stepper drivers.

Enable router power.

Type "s" to continue.

John Poindexter

Roger,

Thanks, but I’m using the controller that comes with the Piranha FX CNC router and wouldn’t want to go to the expense of the Mach3…smile.  I have recommended to NextWave Automation that they upgrade their controller so they have a better chance of reaching the hobbyist market for PCB creatation.

John

My elementary Tool Changer procedure in LinuxCNC is to stop the router (M5) send the router 1.5" above the job followed by (M0) for pause.

I have a 1.5" block to test the tool height above the job.

I then disable the router power, remove tool-1 and insert tool-2 sat on the block.

If the tool lengths are too different I have a switch that disables the stepper drivers and allows me to manually adjust the z height onto the block.

Remove the block.

Enable stepper drivers.

Enable router power.

Type "s" to continue.

Art Eckstein

John,
I realize we kind of gave up on you some time ago, BUT this weekend, I was looking for something in the manual (pcbgcode.pdf located in the docx folder) and found this on page 27 referring on how to bypass gcodes that your controller might not recognize (such at tool change in your case) :

"The de?nitions in the ?le are ?exible in some aspects, and restricted in others. The
main restriction is that a de?nition that expects a certain number of parameters must be
given that number of parameters. Unused parameters can be passed as comments in the
g-code.
For example, if the controller does not understand the DWELL command, it can be
changed to a comment. In the listing, DWELL is de?ned to be:
46 string DWELL = "G04 " + PARAM + "%f" + EOL;
This can be made into a comment the controller will ignore by surrounding it with
COMMENT_BEGIN and COMMENT_END:
46 string DWELL = COMMENT_BEGIN + "G04 " + PARAM + "%f" + COMMENT_END
+ EOL;"

This might help you with that part, but I still havn't found a workaround for the R vs IJK arc problem.