Topics

problem getting 3.6.9.4 running

Gaston Gagnon

Hi,
I am returning to pcb-gcode with the following setup:
Windows XP and Eagle6.5.0 and just downloaded the version 3.6.0.4 of pcb-gcode.

I ran pcb-gcode-setup.ulp on a simple pcb, an etch file is produced but contains automated stuff but nothing related to my traces. Although I can start the viewer directly, it is not open automatically by the ulp.
I poke around the pcb-gcode.ulp a bit and it seems that the function get_os() in preview() does not identify my operating system properly, it returns 2 (that corresponds to OS_MACOSX) instead of 4 (for OS_WINDOWS).

Any idea what I am doing wrong?
Thanks,
Gaston

David K

I have the same PC setup as Gaston, but my issue goes deeper. Thisay even be the same issue as Gaston. I keep getting errors or permission issues when I try to do pcb-gcode setup.ulp. An example of the permission issue is the Eagle says "pcb-gcode-prg.scr" Permission denied. I ever tried it on my window 7 machine and get the same issue. After the gcode file is unzippes should the files be placed in a special Eagle directory or maybe a file link somewhere?

Art Eckstein

I always unzip the files to a folder in the ULP folder. Then Make Sure the Path to that folder is the FIRST on in the ULP directories option.
I run XP so for later versions, you may need to put them in a separate directory (like under your "user" tree) but you still need the directory listing in the options.

art
Country Bubba

At 06:15 PM 2/10/2014, you wrote:

I have the same PC setup as Gaston, but my issue goes deeper. Thisay even be the same issue as Gaston. I keep getting errors or permission issues when I try to do pcb-gcode setup.ulp. An example of the permission issue is the Eagle says "pcb-gcode-prg.scr" Permission denied. I ever tried it on my window 7 machine and get the same issue. After the gcode file is unzippes should the files be placed in a special Eagle directory or maybe a file link somewhere?

__

David K

Sorry, having a Homer Simpson day.

Also if one reads the direction in the Documentation file it tells you how to link it. All else fails; read the directions!

David

From: pcb-gcode@... [mailto:pcb-gcode@...] On Behalf Of Art Eckstein
Sent: Monday, February 10, 2014 4:08 PM
To: pcb-gcode@...
Subject: Re: [pcb-gcode] RE: problem getting 3.6.9.4 running

I always unzip the files to a folder in the ULP folder. Then Make
Sure the Path to that folder is the FIRST on in the ULP directories option.
I run XP so for later versions, you may need to put them in a
separate directory (like under your "user" tree) but you still need
the directory listing in the options.

art
Country Bubba

>I have the same PC setup as Gaston, but my issue goes deeper. Thisay
>even be the same issue as Gaston. I keep getting errors or
>permission issues when I try to do pcb-gcode setup.ulp. An example
>of the permission issue is the Eagle says "pcb-gcode-prg.scr"
>Permission denied. I ever tried it on my window 7 machine and get
>the same issue. After the gcode file is unzippes should the files be
>placed in a special Eagle directory or maybe a file link somewhere?
>
>
>__

Art Eckstein

Hey,
If that is the worst thing you have ever done, consider yourself lucky.  We all have "been there done that and have the tee shirt to prove it" :})

Art
Country Buba

At 07:32 PM 2/10/2014, you wrote:

Sorry, having a Homer Simpson day.

Also if one reads the direction in the Documentation file it tells you how to link it. All else fails; read the directions!
David

From: pcb-gcode@... [ mailto:pcb-gcode@...] On Behalf Of Art Eckstein
Sent: Monday, February 10, 2014 4:08 PM
To: pcb-gcode@...
Subject: Re: [pcb-gcode] RE: problem getting 3.6.9.4 running

I always unzip the files to a folder in the ULP folder. Then Make
Sure the Path to that folder is the FIRST on in the ULP directories option.
I run XP so for later versions, you may need to put them in a
separate directory (like under your "user" tree) but you still need
the directory listing in the options.

art
Country Bubba

>I have the same PC setup as Gaston, but my issue goes deeper. Thisay
>even be the same issue as Gaston. I keep getting errors or
>permission issues when I try to do pcb-gcode setup.ulp. An example
>of the permission issue is the Eagle says "pcb-gcode-prg.scr"
>Permission denied. I ever tried it on my window 7 machine and get
>the same issue. After the gcode file is unzippes should the files be
>placed in a special Eagle directory or maybe a file link somewhere?
>
>
>__

John Johnson <pcbgcode@...>

There is an option, not at my computer now, but it's something like Show progress menu, which you might have turned on. An .scr file is a script, which I used to use in the bad old days, to let people know how the file generation was progressing.

Let me know if you do or don't get it straightened out and I can look into it further. 

Regards,
JJ

On Feb 10, 2014, at 6:15 PM, <mabell@...> wrote:

I have the same PC setup as Gaston, but my issue goes deeper. Thisay even be the same issue as Gaston. I keep getting errors or permission issues when I try to do pcb-gcode setup.ulp. An example of the permission issue is the Eagle says "pcb-gcode-prg.scr" Permission denied. I ever tried it on my window 7 machine and get the same issue. After the gcode file is unzippes should the files be placed in a special Eagle directory or maybe a file link somewhere?

Gaston Gagnon

Yes, get_os() is definitely returning a value of 2 which implies my operating system is a OS_MACOSX which it is unfortunately not.

I do not know where pcb-gcode.ulp confuses my Windows xp with a Mac

Here is a bit more of my setup:
I have more then one version of eagle installed so I first start a batch file which sets the variable HOME then starts the eagle version I want to use:

SET HOME=D:\Documents and Settings\gg\Application Data\CadSoft\EAGLE 6
"D:\Program Files\EAGLE-6.5.0\bin\eagle.exe"

I extracted pcbgcode zip file in
D:\Documents and Settings\gg\Application Data\CadSoft\EAGLE 6\

Finally, in control panel Directories, I have the following line in User Language Programs:
$HOME\pcb-gcode-3.6.0.4;$EAGLEDIR\ulp;K:\gaston_E\EAGLE 6.2\ulp-gg;

Anyone sees something wrong with this method?
Gaston

On 10/02/2014 5:38 PM, Gaston Gagnon wrote:

Hi,

I ran pcb-gcode-setup.ulp on a simple pcb, an etch file is produced but contains automated stuff but nothing related to my traces. Although I can start the viewer directly, it is not open automatically by the ulp.
I poke around the pcb-gcode.ulp a bit and it seems that the function get_os() in preview() does not identify my operating system properly, it returns 2 (that corresponds to OS_MACOSX) instead of 4 (for OS_WINDOWS).

Thanks,
Gaston

Would you happen to have a folder named Applications in the root of your drive?
Pcb-gcode looks for /Applications/* and if found concludes that it is running on a Mac.

Regards,
JJ

On Feb 10, 2014, at 8:36 PM, Gaston Gagnon <gaston.gagnon@...> wrote:

Yes, get_os() is definitely returning a value of 2 which implies my operating system is a OS_MACOSX which it is unfortunately not.

I have more then one version of eagle installed so I first start a batch file which sets the variable HOME then starts the eagle version I want to use:

Finally, in control panel Directories, I have the following line in User Language Programs:

Gaston

Hi,

Thanks,
Gaston

Gaston Gagnon

Yes there was one. I renamed it and that resolved the os confusion
I can also observe that the etch file is now generated.
The only thing left is the viewer still does not open so I suspect that there is something that prevent system() call from executing normally because I can start the viewer directly from it directory.
Gaston

On 10/02/2014 9:24 PM, John Johnson wrote:

Pcb-gcode looks for /Applications/* and if found concludes that it is running on a Mac.

Regards,
JJ

Gaston

Hi,

Thanks,
Gaston

--

Gaston Gagnon

Hi John, thanks for your help.

I can also add that line 104 in function preview() of pcb-gcode.ulp returns -1 which indicates that the call did not execute successfully. That also explain why the viewer does not open.
Would you know what is causing this?
Gaston

On 10/02/2014 9:56 PM, Gaston Gagnon wrote:

The only thing left is the viewer still does not open so I suspect that there is something that prevent system() call from executing normally because I can start the viewer directly from it directory.
Gaston

Regards,
JJ

Gaston

Hi,

Thanks,
Gaston

--

I would stick in a call to have a look at g_path just before line 104.
dlgMessageBox(g_path);

Then see if the result of that + the path to the viewer actually points to the viewer.exe .
If not, there could be something wrong in the Options | Directories in Eagle's control panel, as Art mentioned. It could also have to do with the setting of the HOME variable. I'm not sure what that means to Eagle, and will have to look it up.
If the path does look correct, I would create a test.ulp file, and put a single call to the entire path from g_path + the path to the viewer in a call to system(), run it, and see if it works.

Let us know what you find out.

Regards,
JJ

On Feb 10, 2014, at 11:12 PM, Gaston Gagnon <gaston.gagnon@...> wrote:

I can also add that line 104 in function preview() of pcb-gcode.ulp returns -1 which indicates that the call did not execute successfully. That also explain why the viewer does not open.
Gaston

Gaston

Regards,
JJ

Gaston

Hi,

Thanks,
Gaston

--

Gaston Gagnon

I did check g_path and the system call parameter was indeed right.

I did try this test ulp:
system("D:\Documents and Settings\gg\Application Data\CadSoft\EAGLE 6\pcb-gcode-3.6.0.4\viewer\application.windows\viewer.exe");

That does not open the viewer but typing the following line directly in windows opens the viewer:

D:\Documents and Settings\gg\Application Data\CadSoft\EAGLE 6\pcb-gcode-3.6.0.4\viewer\application.windows\viewer.exe
Gaston

On 10/02/2014 11:26 PM, John Johnson wrote:

dlgMessageBox(g_path);

Then see if the result of that + the path to the viewer actually points to the viewer.exe .
If not, there could be something wrong in the Options | Directories in Eagle's control panel, as Art mentioned. It could also have to do with the setting of the HOME variable. I'm not sure what that means to Eagle, and will have to look it up.
If the path does look correct, I would create a test.ulp file, and put a single call to the entire path from g_path + the path to the viewer in a call to system(), run it, and see if it works.

Regards,
JJ

Gaston

Gaston

Regards,
JJ

Gaston

Hi,

Thanks,
Gaston

--

I'm at a loss Gaston.
The only thing I can think of is there might be an issue with the Java installation and the runtime cannot be found when running from Eagle, but can through the command prompt. Maybe there are different environment variables when running form Eagle and running from the command prompt.

It's almost as if Eagle asked permission to run an external program, and 'No' was clicked.

I created a question on the Eagle forum here:
perhaps someone can help us out.

Regards,
JJ

On Mon, Feb 10, 2014 at 11:48 PM, Gaston Gagnon <gaston.gagnon@...> wrote:

I did try this test ulp:
system("D:\Documents and Settings\gg\Application Data\CadSoft\EAGLE 6\pcb-gcode-3.6.0.4\viewer\application.windows\viewer.exe");

That does not open the viewer but typing the following line directly in windows opens the viewer:

D:\Documents and Settings\gg\Application Data\CadSoft\EAGLE 6\pcb-gcode-3.6.0.4\viewer\application.windows\viewer.exe
Gaston

dlgMessageBox(g_path);

Regards,
JJ

Gaston

Gaston

Regards,
JJ

Gaston

Hi,

Thanks,
Gaston

--

--
Sent from a MacBook Pro

How about trying a test.ulp with a system command to run something else, such as notepad.exe?
That will tell us if Eagle can't run anything, or if there is a problem running viewer.exe only.

Regards,
JJ

On Tue, Feb 11, 2014 at 9:26 AM, John Johnson <pcbgcode@...> wrote:
I'm at a loss Gaston.
The only thing I can think of is there might be an issue with the Java installation and the runtime cannot be found when running from Eagle, but can through the command prompt. Maybe there are different environment variables when running form Eagle and running from the command prompt.

It's almost as if Eagle asked permission to run an external program, and 'No' was clicked.

Regards,
JJ

I did try this test ulp:

Gaston

dlgMessageBox(g_path);

Regards,
JJ

Gaston

Gaston

Regards,
JJ

Gaston

Hi,

Thanks,
Gaston

--

--
Sent from a MacBook Pro

--
Sent from a MacBook Pro

Gaston Gagnon

Will do after lunch.
Gaston

On 11/02/2014 11:46 AM, John Johnson wrote:

How about trying a test.ulp with a system command to run something else, such as notepad.exe?
That will tell us if Eagle can't run anything, or if there is a problem running viewer.exe only.

Regards,
JJ

I'm at a loss Gaston.

Regards,
JJ

I did try this test ulp:

Gaston

dlgMessageBox(g_path);

Regards,
JJ

Gaston

Gaston

Regards,
JJ

Sent from my iPad

Gaston

Hi,

Thanks,
Gaston

--

--

Gaston Gagnon

testsystemcall.ulp
1) system("notepad.exe");
Result: works

2) system("D:\Documents and Settings\gg\Application Data\CadSoft\EAGLE 6\pcb-gcode-3.6.0.4\viewer\application.windows\viewer.exe");
Result: does not work

Then I copied viewer.exe to the root:
3) system("d:\viewer.exe");
Results:  does not work either

Gaston
Nota; I reinstalled Java yesterday (jre7)

On 11/02/2014 11:46 AM, John Johnson wrote:

Regards,
JJ

I'm at a loss Gaston.

Regards,
JJ

I did try this test ulp:

Gaston

dlgMessageBox(g_path);

Regards,
JJ

Gaston

Gaston

Regards,
JJ

Sent from my iPad

Gaston

Hi,

Thanks,
Gaston

--

--
Sent from a MacBook Pro

--
Sent from a MacBook Pro