Topics

'prefer climb'??

rub.zyc@...

Can any body tell me what this option does in the new version of pcb-gcode?
what I observed is that CNC cut shallow at the beginning and somehow cut to correct depth later.

Thanks
Yichao

mlmcnc

Hi there,
"Climb milling" is when the edge of the cutter that is cutting the material is moving in the opposite direction to that of the cutters forward movement ie if you were hand holding the spindle motor it would be trying to "climb" away from the cut (bad idea for hand held routing).
It sometimes gives a better finish than "conventional" milling.

"Prefer Climb" therefore selects this path direction when cutting on the trace etch. It will move the cutter in a clockwise direction around the tracks. Unchecking this will obviously select conventional milling (anticlockwise).

This does not have any effect on the milling layer cuts.

Regards
Martin Marriott
mlmSolutions.

rub.zyc@...

Thank you for your help. So it assumes blade spin clockwise?

Yichao

mlmcnc

Hi Yichao,
True. I am not aware of any milling cutters that are intended to rotate anticlockwise (when viewed from the spindle).

Martin Marriott
mlmSolutions