Topics

#pcbgcode #thanks #development #pcbgcode #development #thanks

Jonathan Lockhart

Greetings PCB-Gcode Community,

I want to thank the admins for the add to the group. I stumbled upon PCB Gcode in a FB group for the Sainsmart 3018 CNC I had picked up for doing home/hobby electronics. Currently I have been experimenting with KiCAD and Fusion 360 Electronics. At the moment I have been using FlatCAM for my milling, but have been having issues. It tends to cut on the inside of the path even when selection default for the cut area. Verified this will diff, visual inspection in Visual Code, and running test on wood blanks. I tested CopperCAM with decent results, but 90 Euros is a bit steep for a hobby. Several people recommended the software in the FB group, and I found my way here.

First, I would like to point out the download link in "Files" on the group no longer appears to work. I downloaded the file, opened it, selected the Dropbox link inside, but the page reports that the file no longer exists. I don't know if there is an updated version to download.

Second, with Autodesk beginning to migrate Eagle into Fusion 360 as Fusion 360 Electronics, I was wondering if there was any request or plan to migrate support for the ULP files into that as well? I attempted to run the files from the Eagle plugins database for PCB Gcode in Fusion, and they operate, but I get a few errors where PCB Gcode can't access certain file locations, which appear to be outside the tools path hierarchy, which means set up can't complete. Setup shows a blank box where the configs should be based on documentation screenshots.

Thanks again, and here is a note on my setup if anyone is interested.
Sainsmart 3018 MX3
Mach3 w/ custom VB scripts as M-code to fix known USB to Serial probe command issues
Autoleveller AE
KiCAD or Fusion 360 Electronics -> FlatCAM (for the moment, may be switching to Eagle if necessary)

mariob_1960@...

¿Hay alguna manera de usar pcbgcode con Kicad?

Jonathan Lockhart

Greetings Mariob,

I am unfamiliar with the ability to use PCBGcode with KiCAD if there is one. My understanding was it only worked with Eagle.

I started with KiCAD->FlatCAM->Mach3 with Autoleveller b/c I found several tutorials and a Udemy course that went that route. I have been using Fusion 360 for CAD for my 3D printer, and saw in the updates to start the year "Electronics" being added in. I was more looking for a way to integrate PCBGcode into Fusion Electronics or ask if support for that will be forthcoming.

John Johnson

As you can probably tell by the file dates in the archive, work on pcb-gcode slowed when I started college, and all but stopped when I started my PhD. My CNC has been sitting neglected for several years. I don't expect that to change very soon. I hoped by putting the source on github that people would submit pull requests of fixes and enhancements, but there hasn't been a lot of that (actually none to date). I hope they won't, but if Autodesk completely breaks pcb-gcode, I might be able to do some work on it if there is enough demand for it.

I deleted the file with the download link to reduce confusion - there is a zip of the archive already in the files section.

kcress1x@sbcglobal.net

John; I'm very curious about what you're majoring in. :)

jlockhartrt;  I have Fusion360 and use Eagle for my layouts.   I gave Eagle-baked-into-F360 a try and found it... odd and a bit scary with respect to maybe trying a large layout with.  It didn't feel very safe or that it's ready for prime time.

Jonathan Lockhart

Oh yes I remember the doctoral days. All I did was school and work full time. Trust me, I empathize with you on the spare time.

Well I decide to do a Udemy course and the guy used KiCAD which I started on but was playing with Eagle in Fusion since I know they added it earlier this year. I have done the live stream tutorials for it but wasn't anything that I hadn't learned in KiCAD and the parts library is a bit lacking at the moment. I did find the auto trace was good.

As for PCB Gcode it opens but it indicates write errors so the configs don't load. I am currently out but when I get a chance I will upload some pictures. The ULP files run but I can't get around the permissions issues. Right now I been using copperCAM as I had issues with FlatCAM. That thing is buggy AF.

Regards,
Jon

On Sat, Jun 6, 2020, 5:21 PM kcress1x@... <kcress@...> wrote:
John; I'm very curious about what you're majoring in. :)

jlockhartrt;  I have Fusion360 and use Eagle for my layouts.   I gave Eagle-baked-into-F360 a try and found it... odd and a bit scary with respect to maybe trying a large layout with.  It didn't feel very safe or that it's ready for prime time.

Rick Watson

The copperCAM web site I tried at https://www.galaad.net/coppercam-eng.html is flagged as a trojan by Malwarebytes. Anyone know if that is the correct site?

Rick

Jonathan Lockhart

Yes that is correct and its not. They actually are pretty responsive on support too.

On Sat, Jun 6, 2020 at 05:21 PM, kcress1x@... wrote:

I'm very curious about what you're majoring in.

I'm in a Cognitive Motor Control Lab, studying how sensory loss affects the way people think about and do reach and grasp tasks. This is applicable to people with amputation (why they generally hate prostheses), stroke, diabetic peripheral neuropathy, etc.

Thanks for asking!

Sean Hall

False positive matey. I downloaded and purchased it last week and had no problems. Sean Hall

Sent from my Motorola Smartphone