Topics

PCB-Gcode in Fusion 360 #pcbgcode

joeaverage

Hi,
I have used PCB-Gcode extensively with EAGLE over a number of years but have recently decided to migrate to Fusion 360.
The electronics/PCB package is very closely related to EAGLE and I have found that it is  as easy to use after adjusting to the new interface.

With Fusion all your projects are stored on the cloud, whereas with EAGLE they are stored on your local hard-drive. While there are a number
of ulp's on the cloud pcb-gcode is not among them. It is intended (by Autodesk) that such a ulp will be stored locally.

I have loaded the pcb-gcode ulp to the Doucuments/Fusion360/ulps (on my local PC) file which is provided for use. I have been
able to run the ulp and it generates the required files but the top.etch and bot.etch files are empty despite the .drill and .mill files
being complete with comments, line numbers and compliant Gcode.

Can anyone suggest a reason that good .dill and .mill files are produced but not .etch files?

Craig

John Johnson

What does the screen look like when the etch files are being created? Do you still see the progressive outlines around the tracks?

On Jul 29, 2020, at 5:23 PM, joeaverage <joe.average@...> wrote:

[...]

Jonathan Lockhart

Craig,

How'd you get that to run in Fusion? I installed it to the ULP folder and when I run it I get a blank pop up window. Using the latest version of Fusion on Win10.

Regards,
Jon

On Wed, Jul 29, 2020, 6:29 PM John Johnson <john@...> wrote:
[...]

No, the displays flickers briefly as if it's doing the calculations and a 'Pour panel' briefly shows, the panel is part of the new Fusion interface .

Now that you have me thinking about what I see I'm wondering if the 'Pour', being the rectangle of the PCB outline needs to be defined
BEFORE the ulp can generate the Gcode? In which case the Pour panel which has the choice data needs to be active BEFORE the ulp runs?

Craig

"
How'd you get that to run in Fusion? I installed it to the ULP folder and when I run it I get a blank pop up window. Using the latest version of Fusion on Win10."

I downloaded a fresh copy of the zipped pcb-gcode file direct from Autosoft and installed the entire (un-zipped) contents in the Documents/Fusion360/ulps file.

When running Fusion Electronics Design go to the 'Automate' tab, select the orange "RunULP' icon. Select the local directory (Documents) rather than the Temp folder to which
the cloud based ULPs are loaded to, by the drop down selection. Select pcb-gcode-setup and run.

[...]

Thanks Craig, I will give that a try again. I previously installed and posted about it not running but I think I may have been on the temp folder not documents. I will let you know the results and send any pics I have.

Regards,
Jon

On Wed, Jul 29, 2020, 8:47 PM joeaverage <joe.average@...> wrote:
Hi,

"
[...]

I have been experimenting trying to find a solution to the empty .etch files, to no avail as yet.

I have tried making a rectangular pour, both top and bottom sides, without any change, namely strangely
empty .etc files but complete and intact .drill and .mill files.

I presume that the ulp actually runs on the local PC. Only when the project is saved does it get saved to the cloud.
Thus the generated files (.drill, .mill,.top.etch and.bot.etch) get saved to a temporary file on the local hard drive
until or unless the contents of the file is uploaded to the cloud.
The path to the files is reasonably torturous:
C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\Temp\Neutron\ElectronFileOutput\2bc73b8b-e893-4770-9b65-71cfe347664d

The fact that the .drill and .mill files are present and correct after running pcb-gcode suggests that the ulp can navigate
to the required location and create/update the files there. Is it feasible that the potentially much larger .etch files
cannot be created/updated at the location above?

Rather than dig down to the location I would like to save the generated Gcode files in the Documents/Fusion360 file or a subfolder
of it. How would I go about modifying the file path in the setup page?

Craig

[...]

That's correct. The pour works like a ground plane pour, isolating itself from existing tracks by some increasing amount. The pour is then processed as polygonal line segments by pcb-gcode to generate the g-code movements for mechanical etching.
If the pour isn't happening, the whole process fails.

On Jul 29, 2020, 8:33 PM -0400, joeaverage <joe.average@...>, wrote:
Hi,

[...]

that comports well with what I see happening in EAGLE, namely a pour isolated by a small but increasing amount
with successive iterations.

The process does not (visually) appear the same in Fusion. I would guess that PCB-gcode calls for a pour and as a result Fusion
generates a panel with the appropriate data, isolation distance, thermals etc. My guess is the intention is that the panel should be populated
with your choices if different from the defaults and the panel OKed before the pour is calculated. The panels flash up that briefly that its
impossible to view or otherwise update it before the next successive panel appears.

I did try creating a ground pour in the original PCB artwork but that did not in itself allow pcb-gcode to work with regard to generating
compliant .etch files.

I also tried creating a .etch file with just a single pass hoping that the panel would exist long enough that I might view it, to no avail.

I have a subscription for Fusion, largely because of the CAD/CAM features but as it includes an unlimited (by comparison to the free
EAGLE offering) PCB design solution I am keen to get it to work. I am not a fan of subscription based software but when I compare the overall
value of the components offered as a single solution it does make sense and I overcame my aversion to a subscription.

Craig.