Topics

PCB-GCode Beta Release 3

John Johnson <johnatl@...>

Hello Folks,

The beta release of pcb-gcode version 3 is in the Files section of this group.

Please don't post the file(s) anywhere else. If you know someone who might want the program, have them download it from the Yahoo! group, or email the .zip file to them. This keeps me from worrying that there might be a copy somewhere that is buggy and won't get updated.

In this release you will find:

The setup program. I find it much easier to use than having to edit setup files, and I think everyone will like it. See the readme.html file for info on how to use it. Thanks to everyone who sent me their own special flavor of gcode-defaults.h. One profile I just discovered I left out is for the Isel used by Andreas. I'll try to get this up ASAP.

A new readme file. The readme is now in HTML, view it with your favorite web browser. I like plain text readmes, but I just couldn't convey the information as clearly as I wanted without some formatting.

Improved milling code. Milling files (for layer 46, the Milling Layer) now use arcs where possible. This improves accuracy, and reduces file size.

Temporary file eliminated. The temporary file used when creating the drill files has been eliminated, yeah! This has been the most often reported problem.

Improved speed. The program now skips more of the sections it does not have to produce files for. Previously, the program was run for each set of files, whether they produced anything or not.

Improved compatibility. The three included profiles (emc.pp, mach.pp and turbocnc.pp) are now more compatible with their respective programs. Most notably, G05 has been replaced with G04 for dwells, and for parameters, # has been replaced with P. This may break compatibility with TurboCNC < 4.0. If so, I will create a profile for it.

Have fun, and let me know how it goes!

---
Help everyone. If you can't do that, then at least be nice.

Art Eckstein <a_eckstein@...>

JJ,
I have downloaded the files, put them in my Eagle directory.

I then ran the "setup" and did the "accept"
Then did "run

and got the following message:
"string DWELL_TIME = PARAM + "%f";"
in the file:
"gcode-defaults.h"

Any ideas???

By the way, I was trying to use the TCNC pp file

bubba

At 10:10 PM 12/29/2005, you wrote:
[...]

Yahoo! Groups Links

John Johnson <johnatl@...>

Hi Art,

I've uploaded pcb-gcode-3.0.1.zip that fixes this problem. Thanks for the report!

On 30-Dec-2005, at 10:22, Art Eckstein wrote:

[...]

That seemed to have fixed that one! Thanks.

Now for a question as I am not quite sure where to start.
I use "fixtures" for various options. One of the first was for my "automatic tool length compensation" and now for part location.
I would like to configure the system to handle this and to add the necessary code for the tool length compensation.
I use:
G53 for machine coordinates (also a specified location for the tool length)
G54 will be for the fixture of the Component side of the board
G55 will be the fixture for the Solder side of the board
G59 is my tool change place

If you could give me a hint as to where to start, I would like to give it a go to see what I can do!

Thanks in advance,

Art

At 11:50 AM 12/30/2005, you wrote:
Hi Art,

I've uploaded pcb-gcode-3.0.1.zip that fixes this problem. Thanks for
the report!

John Johnson <johnatl@...>

Art,

I'm not to familiar with using offsets.

As I understand it, you want a G54 near the beginning of the filetop.nc and filetd.nc files, a G55 near the beginning of the filebot.nc and filebd.nc files.

Where does the G59 come in? There is a provision for setting X,Y,Z for a tool change position already. Do you mean you want something like:

G59
G00 Z0
G00 X0 Y0
M06 T2
G54

On 30-Dec-2005, at 12:50, Art Eckstein wrote:

[...]

Exactly!

This way, when I setup, I will have known offsets for the various part placements. I have home switches on the machine so I always know where (or can reset) G53 to X0Y0 and then do the offesets for the other fixtures. With the fixture I am building, I will then always use the same corner of the pcb for the origin and not have to do any setup other than flip the board to its new location.
Will put some pictures up when I get the thing built.

[...]

I'm working on it Art. It will take a little more time.

Looking forward to seeing your pictures.

On 31-Dec-2005, at 07:30, Art Eckstein wrote:

[...]

Not a problem, I am also in the process of setting up a wireless network to the shop (+/- 300ft 91M) as I am tired of sneaker netting and forgetting one little g-code file! Am trying different antennas to see if I can get it to work through the trees etc!

Later,

art