Topics

of topic - USB Breakout board

rjweng91@...

I know this is off topic but most of the groups I am on, there is not much activity. I was wondering if anyone uses a USB Breakout board instead of a parallel board. Right now I use a Hobby CNC chopper board and wondering if I may have a issues with it since Reference All Home will not work. I have all the home switches put in and wired correctly. they axis will move maybe 5mm and then zero out.

If you know of a yahoo group that this may be better placed in please let me know.

Bob

jeff.birt

A ‘USB breakout board’ is a misnomer. While there are articles sold as such that is not what they really are. A ‘Break Out Board’ just takes the signals from a parallel port and buffers them (or isolates them) and provides a convenient method to connect to them, like terminal strips. Some BOBs also have other features built in like the ability to drive relays, monitor the charge pump signal etc. The BOB though is just responding to the signals that Mach 3 (or Linux CNC) is providing and buffering the signals in/out. In other words there is no real intelligence or motion control provided by the BOB.

When you get into the realm of wanting to be able to control your machine with a USB or Ethernet connection rather than the parallel port things are different as both communication mediums introduce variable delays in the signals coming out and going in. This means that the device at the other end of the cable from the PC has to have smarts built into it. Basically it is a motion controller that takes the place of the parallel port hardware and software performing these functions on hardware designed for motion control.

For the past 5-6 years I have been using the SmoothStepper in 99% of my controllers. Take a look at: http://www.soigeneris.com/motion_control_and_i_o_boards-list.aspx (my website). When these first came out they were about the only option for Mach3 but now there are several different choices. The thing to watch out for is what features in Mach3 they support, some of the simpler ones do not support a full range of features.

Jeff Birt

Soigeneris.com

I know this is off topic but most of the groups I am on, there is not much activity. I was wondering if anyone uses a USB Breakout board instead of a parallel board. Right now I use a Hobby CNC chopper board and wondering if I may have a issues with it since Reference All Home will not work. I have all the home switches put in and wired correctly. they axis will move maybe 5mm and then zero out.

If you know of a yahoo group that this may be better placed in please let me know.

Bob

keith3125

After somewhat of a 'getting it going', I can't say enough about the SmoothStepper. I'll never go back to a Parallel port.-Keith