Topics

New member here; Milled my first PCB this evening

dayap1

Hi John and Group,

Happy new year!! and Happy routing!!!

I started learning Eaglecad on Saturday, and finished milling my first
PCB a couple of hours ago. It is a simple PCB, with just 3 10 pin
headers with a few connections between them.

pcb-gcode created purr-fect code first time.

I use a CNCd Harbor Freight Minimill, with TurboCNC for control.
Went to Highland Hardware (Yes, I am in Atlanta) and got their last
Dremel 9909 bit. Since the max speed of my spindle is about 4000RPM,
the tip snapped on the first cut at 10IPM. Fortunately, the remainder
of the bit worked fine at 2IPM so I was able to complete the PCB.
I also stopped the program after the first pass, without any offset
routing, and used 320 grit Wet/Dry paper to remove the burrs and
slivers. It cleaned up real nice for me.

Is there any reason for multiple passes rather than one pass followed
by sanding?

By the way, try this excellent (and free) CNC simulator.

http://www.cncedit.com/

Regards.

Daya.

l0bulls <dakb0rr02@...>

Congratulations.

Is there any reason for multiple passes rather than one pass followed
by sanding?
I like to do one pass using a very fine bit to get detail
then I use a wider bit pass to increase the isolation thus reducing the
risk of accidental shorts and solder bridging. I suppose in theory there
may also be a noise/capacitance argument against very close tracks but
for me its mostly to guard against my ham fisted soldering.

John Johnson <johnatl@...>

Hello Daya,

I'm glad pcb-gcode worked well for you!

One pass and sanding is definitely an option. On larger or more intricate boards, the sliver removal can be a bit tedious, so that's why the multiple passes are available.

On 02-Jan-2006, at 22:50, dayap1 wrote:

[...]

Yahoo! Groups Links

---
Help everyone. If you can't do that, then at least be nice.