From: pcb-gcode@... [mailto:pcb-gcode@...]
Sent: Friday, 28 October 2016 3:38 PM
To: pcb-gcode@...
Subject: [pcb-gcode] Move text to milling layer

Has anyone run across (or written) a ulp to move all of the part designators (R1, C12, etc.) to the milling layer? It seems like it would be nice to have an engraved "silk screen".

Paul Galarneau

Hi,

FYI.  I use FreePCB to create my PCB drawings and TurboCNC for machining.  There may be difference with other PCB editors.  FreePCB uses UCAMCO for reference.

http://www.ucamco.com/files/downloads/file/81/the_gerber_file_format_specification.pdf?a25bee2557eb3cae2d756be2e9fca7e8.  I use MS.exe (MicroStar) DOS text

editor, a very old software.  It supports macros that come real handy to edit Gerber files.  But, I believe that you could use Notepad++

(https://notepad-plus-plus.org/).  I have a table CNC.  I remove the tool motor and install a pen holder that I fabricated.  I use a felt pen in a plastic tube with a

small spring to push down the pen so it stays on the surface but doesn't get destroyed if the CNC goes to low

Here are the steps to convert silkscreen Gerber file to GCode (again with FreePCB silk screen file)

1- Remove all * at end of line.

2- Remove all lines with “G54”.

3- Keep "G70" "G90" ("G71" "G91").  This selects Inch or Metric mode.

4- Remove “M00” “M02”. (Program Stop and Program End)

5- Remove all lines not starting with "G": EX: %, $ and any number.

6- Search “G04” and replace by “(“.  Gerber “G04” is comment (ignore data block); GCODE “G04” is Dwell Time.

7- Search “D01” and remove it.  D01 is “Draw mode on”.

8- Search “D02” and remove it.  On same line, replace G01 for G00 (temporary). D02 is “Draw mode off”.

9- Add a line before all “G00” line to rise “Z-axis” EX: “G00 Z0.010”.  Since I use a very fine pen .4mm (0.015748"), I keep “Z-axis” movement to a minimum.

10- Add a line before all “G01” to lower “Z-axis” EX: “G00 Z-0.002”

11- Replace “G00” to “G01”.  Since this is not for cutting material, only to "drag" a pen over it, I increase speed for G01 a lot with Command “FXXX”.

Note: For readability only, I like to put a space between the command and the coordinates. EX: G00 X0Y0

There is a lot “Z-axis” movement, but since the movements are very small, it doesn’t really affect much the time it takes to draw the silk.

Hope this helps.

Paul J J

Has anyone run across (or written) a ulp to move all of the part designators (R1, C12, etc.) to the milling layer? It seems like it would be nice to have an engraved "silk screen".

MC Cason

On 10/27/2016 11:38 PM, stockwiz@... [pcb-gcode] wrote:

Has anyone run across (or written) a ulp to move all of the part designators (R1, C12, etc.) to the milling layer? It seems like it would be nice to have an engraved "silk screen".

  Smash the component.  Right click the name, and change it's layer to wherever you want it to be.  If your ground plane is big enough, you can put the names directly into the copper layer (Top, or Bottom).

  A very quick example:
https://flic.kr/p/MZUryT

--
MC Cason