Topics

Mill shapes not appearing in pcbgcode #pcbgcode #drill

patcooper@...

I have had a good look on the forum but can't work this out.

Created a simple closed shape in Eagle using the line tool. Run ulp which shows the shape in preview, open layer in estlcam - all ok.

Draw circle on mill layer in Eagle, preview ok, open in estlcam, centre of circle present with mill path but no circle. Dummy run shows mill goes to circle location, mills a single point (as per multiple pass depth) raises and continues with next operation.

So what am I doing wrong and how do you mill a large round hole in the pcb ?

Fabrizio Papa

Hi,
I've noticed that sometimes pcbgcode misses the G01 or other G command before the instructions so that most cnc software can't read it properly.

patcooper@...

This may not be an issue with pcbgcode but had to start somewhere.

Art Eckstein

Hey,
This may be associated with how the cnc software is setup.
IF the cnc controller is in "modal" mode, and you have subsequent lines of code that are of the same G instruction (ex. G1 etc), it is not necessary to issue the Gx code each time.  This goes back to the paper tape and early cnc machine and was an effort to reduce code size.
If the controller is in "non-modal" mode, you need to have the Gx code issued at each line.

HTH

Country

At 8/21/2020 01:19 PM, Fabrizio Papa wrote:
Hi,
I've noticed that sometimes pcbgcode misses the G01 or other G command before the instructions so that most cnc software can't read it properly.Â
_._,_._,_

Groups.io Links:

John Johnson

I can’t recall if I fixed the circle issue. As I recall, using two circle halves (arcs) was the workaround.

On Aug 21, 2020, at 9:34 AM, patcooper@... wrote:

I have had a good look on the forum but can't work this out.

Created a simple closed shape in Eagle using the line tool. Run ulp which shows the shape in preview, open layer in estlcam - all ok.

Draw circle on mill layer in Eagle, preview ok, open in estlcam, centre of circle present with mill path but no circle. Dummy run shows mill goes to circle location, mills a single point (as per multiple pass depth) raises and continues with next operation.

So what am I doing wrong and how do you mill a large round hole in the pcb ?

mlmcnc

Instead of a full circle, try two semi-circles.

I have had a good look on the forum but can't work this out.

Created a simple closed shape in Eagle using the line tool. Run ulp which shows the shape in preview, open layer in estlcam - all ok.

Draw circle on mill layer in Eagle, preview ok, open in estlcam, centre of circle present with mill path but no circle. Dummy run shows mill goes to circle location, mills a single point (as per multiple pass depth) raises and continues with next operation.

So what am I doing wrong and how do you mill a large round hole in the pcb ?

joeaverage

Hi,
Ive never had any success with a circle be converted into compliant Gcode either.

I use the 'multiple arc' method, namely create an arc of approx 180 degrees and then create a second
arc to complete the circle. Arcs do generate compliant Gcode.

Occasionally I've had issues where if I create a rectangle of just four straight lines, PCB-Gcode will generate a milling
file but not cut anything as it will never issue any Gcodes required to lower the tool into in PCB. If however I include
a small, even very small 45degree chamfer at each corner then PCB-Gcode produces good Gcode.

Craig

Instead of a full circle, try two semi-circles.

I have had a good look on the forum but can't work this out.

Created a simple closed shape in Eagle using the line tool. Run ulp which shows the shape in preview, open layer in estlcam - all ok.

Draw circle on mill layer in Eagle, preview ok, open in estlcam, centre of circle present with mill path but no circle. Dummy run shows mill goes to circle location, mills a single point (as per multiple pass depth) raises and continues with next operation.

So what am I doing wrong and how do you mill a large round hole in the pcb ?

patcooper@...

Thanks for replies, experimenting with curves but at the end of the day it is not a show stopper.

patcooper@...

Just thought I would try something but did not work...

Generate GCODE to mill a 10mm circle 2.5mm deep, did this online as I am not clever enough to code.

Loaded into estlcam and did a dummy run, again just shows centre coordinates but no cutout.

Ah well...

( File created using Intuwiz Software Service )
( http://www.intuwiz.com )
( More information: http://www.intuwiz.com/circle.html )
( File created:  2020-08-22  21:00:02  )

G00 Z1 F70
G00 X-4.5 Y0 F70
G01 Z-0.5 F50
G02 I4.5
G01 Z-1
G02 I4.5
G01 Z-1.5
G02 I4.5
G01 Z-2
G02 I4.5
G01 Z-2.5
G02 I4.5
G00 Z1 F70
G00 X0 Y0 F70
M30

Jerry Lee Marcel

On Sat, Aug 22, 2020 at 08:15 PM, <patcooper@...> wrote:
Generate GCODE to mill a 10mm circle 2.5mm deep, did this online as I am not clever enough to code.

Loaded into estlcam and did a dummy run, again just shows centre coordinates but no cutout.

Jerry Lee Marcel

Edited

On Sat, Aug 22, 2020 at 08:15 PM, <patcooper@...> wrote:
Generate GCODE to mill a 10mm circle 2.5mm deep, did this online as I am not clever enough to code.

Loaded into estlcam and did a dummy run, again just shows centre coordinates but no cutout.
If what you psted is the complete code, no wonder. This code lacks some essentials, like the G17-21 that define units and plans, and in particular it doesn't have the SxxxxM03 code that starts the spindle!
I'll have  a look at this intuwiz site but I have a feeling they don't offer full solutions...
EDIT: Actually, I've checked the website and many important bits of code are missing, whatever the operation.
Typically a g-code file should have something like this at the start: between brackets are original comments issued by Heeks software. Between square brackets are my personal comments.
N10O1(Programme CN 1)
N20(tool change to 5 mm Fraise à rainurer)
N30T6M06 [this is the actual tool change command - ignored on most DIY CNC's]
N40G17G90G21 [G17 selects layer X-Y G90 selects absolute coordinates G21 selects mm as units]
N50(Esquisse 84) [Indicates what sketch is used]
N60G00X-2.5Y0S10000M03 [G00X-2.5Y0 rapids to coordinates XY S10000 defines spindle speed M03 triggers CW spindle rotation]
I would strongly suggest you try to grok some G-code basics, you won't regret it. I couldn't write a working G-code manually, but I know how to find why one gode doesn't work (and sometimes fix it)

patcooper@...

Thanks, the spindle is switched manually. I have no idea if these sites will provide definitive code but worth a shot.

Jerry Lee Marcel

On Sun, Aug 23, 2020 at 10:34 AM, <patcooper@...> wrote:
Thanks, the spindle is switched manually.
The simulator doesn't know it! That's why it shows no action.

patcooper@...

To simulate a process in Estlcam you just need the board connected and run the code. There is no feedback from the mill other than limits/sensors if fitted.

Jerry Lee Marcel

Edited

On Sun, Aug 23, 2020 at 11:36 AM, <patcooper@...> wrote:
To simulate a process in Estlcam you just need the board connected and run the code.
If this code has no initialization, can it run? All the simulators I have used till then won't move it those are missing.
EDIT: I'm not familiar with ESTLCAM, but I couldn't find how their simulation works...

patcooper@...

"Properly" generated code from eagle runs ok as a dry run but as you pointed out it has all the initialisation features needed to work wrapped round the actual code. Probably a bit naive of me to expect this other code just to work by itself. I guess I could try inserting into some existing code but to be honest I don't want to waste any more of your time !.

Cheers.