From: Alan Marconett <KM6VV@...>
To: pcb-gcode@...
Subject: Re: [pcb-gcode] Re: Welcome, Message delays, Future Features and other administrivia
Date: Fri, 08 Sep 2006 23:17:17 -0700

Hi Keith,

Have you researched them? It would be interesting to find something
with a small enough beam and bright enough to expose a photosensitive
board or a film!

thanks,

Alan KM6VV

keith3125 wrote:
This place has some crazy bright,UV LEDs/LASERs:
http://www.roithner-laser.com/index.htm
-Keith
Find your old friends and discover what they're doing now. http://ninemsn.com.au/share/redir/adTrack.asp?mode=click&clientID=389&referral=HM_tagline_SEP06&URL=http://ninemsn.schoolfriends.com.au

keith3125

That's a good idea Gavin. You could make a fully black sheet of laser toner as a resist and
heat transfer it to the copper. I've already made a very high power IR laser that I bought as
a diode,new/surplus with a heat sink to attach to my headstock(that's my next step is a
fixture for that) for under $50 at about 1 Watt(Polaroid made these originally but now a
place called Boston Laser,I believe, bought that division). Of course you have to be very
careful with these ,eye-wise but also picked up some really good goggles for a little less
than the diode.My laser burns toner beautifully and with a really nice and thin width,
properly focused.Just need to regulate the voltage and current properly. You get about a
Watt at 2 Volts and an amp but you can adjust to some degree the wattage(requires a
threshold current however).You'd also need some extra cooling if you're cutting that long
or give the laser some time off every so often.It does get quite hot.-Keith

--- In pcb-gcode@..., "Gavin McIntosh" <gavinmc3@...> wrote:

Nice laser link.
UV/purple ones should be ok, power is high for semi laser.
Used in Blueray DVD drives?

What about infrared lasers? burning off the resist, as long as the resist
absorbs IR, the copper underneith wont absorb the IR. Semi IR laser high
enough power or need to go to CO2.
Any laser cutter users on group?

Gavin

From: Alan Marconett <KM6VV@...>
To: pcb-gcode@...
Subject: Re: [pcb-gcode] Re: Welcome, Message delays, Future Features and
other administrivia
Date: Fri, 08 Sep 2006 23:17:17 -0700

Hi Keith,

keith3125 wrote:
This place has some crazy bright,UV LEDs/LASERs:
http://www.roithner-laser.com/index.htm
-Keith
Find your old friends and discover what they're doing now.
http://ninemsn.com.au/share/redir/adTrack.asp?
mode=click&clientID=389&referral=HM_tagline_SEP06&URL=http://
ninemsn.schoolfriends.com.au

Gavin McIntosh <gavinmc3@...>

Keith,

Sounds like a job for water cooling, get one of those pentium pc cooler systems and a nice big 44 Gallon drum of water. Wonder if you could use same laser to cut plastic stencil for paste?

Gavin

From: "keith3125" <kc1of36@...>
To: pcb-gcode@...
Subject: [pcb-gcode] Re: Lasers
Date: Sat, 09 Sep 2006 12:41:16 -0000

[...]
The future of MSN Messenger is here: download now http://ninemsn.com.au/livemessenger/

keith3125

I was thinking of using a Peltier device to cool it. They're pretty cheap.
Most of these lasers like cutting dark material. I have a video of a small 60mw IR diode(like
what's in a CD burner) I rigged up 'scoring' black heat shrink but you can't see the cut too
well. It's very fine.It runs really cool and you can even hook the right fiber optic to it rather
than put the diode in the headstock. Good for some things,not for everything.
Here's the video.You can see the smoke.
http://www.lightlink.com/keith/LDIODE60mw.wmv

From: "keith3125" <kc1of36@...>
To: pcb-gcode@...
Date: Sat, 09 Sep 2006 12:41:16 -0000

[...]

KM6VV

Hi Keith,

This sounds very encouraging. Where can I find one? Is it one of the Luxeonstar units?
http://www.luxeonstar.com/

I'd like to here more about your experiments! You have CNC to move it around then?

Alan KM6VV

keith3125 wrote:

[...]

If you mean the high power laser,I found quite a few on ebay. Some have fiber optic 'pig-
tails'. Check out 'mi-lasers', ebay store
Luxeon only makes the L.E.D.s (Luxeon is actually Phillips).You can buy them right on their
site.Many are also sold on ebay-Keith

keith3125 wrote:

[...]

You mean the laser diode out of a CD writer can do that? What power/drive does it need? This could work!

Alan KM6VV
P.S. Sorry, I seem to be playing ketch-up on the posts.

keith3125 wrote:

I was thinking of using a Peltier device to cool it. They're pretty cheap.
Most of these lasers like cutting dark material. I have a video of a small 60mw IR diode(like what's in a CD burner) I rigged up 'scoring' black heat shrink but you can't see the cut too well. It's very fine.It runs really cool and you can even hook the right fiber optic to it rather than put the diode in the headstock. Good for some things,not for everything.
Here's the video.You can see the smoke.
http://www.lightlink.com/keith/LDIODE60mw.wmv

keith3125

Yes,what is on the video was a laser diode made for CD burning. I got 3 new ones on ebay
for $15 for the 3.
1.8-2.2Volts @ 95-140ma -Keith

keith3125 wrote:

I was thinking of using a Peltier device to cool it. They're pretty cheap.
Most of these lasers like cutting dark material. I have a video of a small 60mw IR diode
(like
what's in a CD burner) I rigged up 'scoring' black heat shrink but you can't see the cut
too
well. It's very fine.It runs really cool and you can even hook the right fiber optic to it
rather
than put the diode in the headstock. Good for some things,not for everything.
Here's the video.You can see the smoke.
http://www.lightlink.com/keith/LDIODE60mw.wmv

KM6VV

Hi Keith,

So then a 35 mw laser diode from Luxeon? I see lumens, no mw. The K2 is 135 lumens for white.
I see a royal blue, but no UV.

Alan KM6VV

keith3125 wrote:

If you mean the high power laser,I found quite a few on ebay. Some have fiber optic 'pig-
tails'. Check out 'mi-lasers', ebay store
Luxeon only makes the L.E.D.s (Luxeon is actually Phillips).You can buy them right on their site.Many are also sold on ebay-Keith

--- In pcb-gcode@..., KM6VV <KM6VV@...> wrote:

keith3125

Luxeon make the L.E.D.s ; not the lasers. Re-read my posts. It's all there : )
I see a very nice laser on mi-lasers at Ebay that has a pigtailed fiber optic,WITH an internal
cooler(peltier). He sells these a lot. These are 150mw. Again,the laser you see in the video
is 60mw or a little more depending on the current you pump in.-Keith

keith3125 wrote:

If you mean the high power laser,I found quite a few on ebay. Some have fiber optic
'pig-
tails'. Check out 'mi-lasers', ebay store
Luxeon only makes the L.E.D.s (Luxeon is actually Phillips).You can buy them right on
their
site.Many are also sold on ebay-Keith

--- In pcb-gcode@..., KM6VV <KM6VV@> wrote:

KM6VV

Hi Keith,

That price if fine.

1.8-2.2Volts @ 95-140ma 400 nm or so? What burn width (spot) did you get?

What did you search for on ebay? I found laser diodes, but no UV. And nothing when searching with "CD".

I wonder if it would burn off a Staedtler 318 Lumocolor marker ink? That might be easy to apply. But a bit wasteful if one needs to cover the entire board. Maybe not. Of course, only an "isolation burn" would really be needed. THEN, we're compatible with PCB-GCODE!

Alan KM6VV

keith3125 wrote:

Yes,what is on the video was a laser diode made for CD burning. I got 3 new ones on ebay for $15 for the 3. 1.8-2.2Volts @ 95-140ma -Keith

Gavin McIntosh <gavinmc3@...>

Seem to remember photo plotters use a halogen lamp with aperture pens, ie hollow needles.
UV curing epoxy could be another option, thin coating of epoxy then run UV pens over tracks then wash of uncured epoxy. Do enough layers and you have a STL setup.

Gavin

From: KM6VV <KM6VV@...>
To: pcb-gcode@...
Subject: Re: [pcb-gcode] Re: Lasers
Date: Sat, 09 Sep 2006 14:50:56 -0700

Hi Keith,

Nothing but cars & over 100,000 of them at carsales.com.au http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http%3A%2F%2Fsecure%2Dau%2Eimrworldwide%2Ecom%2Fcgi%2Dbin%2Fa%2Fci%5F450304%2Fet%5F2%2Fcg%5F801577%2Fpi%5F1005244%2Fai%5F836752&_t=12345&_r=emailtagline_tig_over100k&_m=EXT

John Johnson <johnatl@...>

On Saturday, September 09, 2006, at 08:44AM, keith3125 <kc1of36@...> wrote:

That's a good idea Gavin. You could make a fully black sheet of laser toner as a resist and
heat transfer it to the copper.
You could also try a transfer paper that I believe is used for toll (sp?) painting. It has a waxy graphite coating on thin paper. Put a sheet onto a PCB, run the laser over it, let it cool, and peel away the excess. All hypothetical, of course :-)
It's available at arts/crafts stores, such as Michael's here in the US.

Also, as far as the machine, you don't have to move the laser around, You just need one or two front/first surface mirrors. You move the mirror(s) around, no vibration on the laser, and you can use an aquarium full of ammonia for cooling :-)

---
Help everyone. If you can't do that, then at least be nice.

KM6VV

Hi Gavin,

That's a possibility. Something that would work well for a resist, UV cure, and be easy to wash off the unwanted resist. How much light does it take to expose these spray-on resists? They sound like they'd be perfect.

Can we compress the time needed to expose? Instead of 3 minutes (?) of UV florescent light, how about a short burst from a UV diode (or laser diode)? I wouldn't mind inching along at only a few IPM if needed.

Anybody got a Laser diode I can experiment with? I don't want to pay too much. ... I just dismantled a CD drive, and came down to a 3 terminal laser diode. Attached was a small pot and cap all connected with a flexible PCB. Drive was a Sony, but as mentioned, no info on the diode. several optical components that would be useful, but the xy actuator assembly used to move the mirror would have to be secured. How to I connect the diode?

STL and RP are another interest!

Alan KM6VV

Gavin McIntosh wrote:

Seem to remember photo plotters use a halogen lamp with aperture pens, ie hollow needles.
UV curing epoxy could be another option, thin coating of epoxy then run UV pens over tracks then wash of uncured epoxy. Do enough layers and you have a STL setup.

Gavin

Gavin McIntosh <gavinmc3@...>

Alan,

Use the laser to melt toner powder onto the copper.
Or use plastic/wax to build up stl parts.
I got some polymorph plastic, melts at 62C, make a micro hot melt glue gun?
What about those DIY rubber stamps, dip them in resist and stamp the copper?
Laser cut plastic stencils and spray paint? Hmm inkjet printer with water resistant paint.
Cost of ink jets is so cheap now, pull one apart and convert it to moving platten.
Need to find print head without the chips, HP? Google time.
Hmm converted inkjet for laser cutter? only need one mirror if tray moves.

Laser diodes need constant current source, blown up a few years ago when they were expensive.
Light safe box with safety interlocks?

Gavin

From: KM6VV <KM6VV@...>
To: pcb-gcode@...
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2006 12:48:26 -0700

Hi Gavin,

[...]

Windows Live Spaces: share up to 500 photos per month, free http://spaces.live.com/

kbmarsha@...

Zcorp RP company uses a similar deposition process. You should check them
out. www.zcorp.com

From: KM6VV <KM6VV@...>
To: pcb-gcode@...
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2006 12:48:26 -0700

Hi Gavin,

[...]

Cool stuff, if I had lots of money that would be nice to have in the shed.
If the same thing with a $600 mill I will be happy, even happier if it can be done with a $60 inkjet:)

From: KM6VV <KM6VV@...>
To: pcb-gcode@...
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2006 12:48:26 -0700

Hi Gavin,

[...]

1000s of Sexy Singles online now at Lavalife. Click here http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http%3A%2F%2Flavalife9%2Eninemsn%2Ecom%2Eau%2Fclickthru%2Fclickthru%2Eact%3Fid%3Dninemsn%26context%3Dan99%26locale%3Den%5FAU%26a%3D23198&_t=751140432&_r=emailtaglines_search_aug06&_m=EXT

KM6VV

Hi Gavin,

We just got an RP (rapid prototype) here at work. So far, only the MEs are
using it. Maybe I'll get a chance sometime!

With small simple boards, and a need for a great number of them, a rubber
stamp COULD work. My first sight of a milled board (deep milled!) made me
think of something like that as well.

I hadn't wanted to play with ink jets, but I have dismantled a few laser
jets. I'm all filled up with projects now, although I'd LOVE to just buy a
Laser Diode w/ regulator that I could make up a mount for and get it moving
on my Sherline mill (or new PCB mill). After seeing the lenses, mirror and
some other unidentifiable optical piece in the CD drive, I'm not anxious to
do much with it. A raw diode would probably make too big a spot? I'd
better just prefect my own board milling, for now. I suppose I'll HAVE to
do some resist process to make really fine pitch boards at some point
regardless.

Best regards,

Alan KM6VV

Behalf Of Gavin McIntosh

[...]

Hi Marsha (?),

Thanks for the URL. We're using a new machine by Proto Pulsion

http://www.protopulsion.com/

I've already done some thinking on the process. It uses ABS "wire"; and
heats it up and extrudes it onto a CNC platform.

There is already a group that is playing with extruding low-temp materials:

http://reprapdoc.voodoo.co.nz/bin/view/Main/Version2OfThePolymorphExtrusionH
ead

I tell you guys, these products will be available or in the hands of
hobbyists in only a few years!

Alan KM6VV