Topics

How to etch a powerplane with pcb-gcode? #etch

Christian Robert Adzic

Hi!

I have to make a pcb where are power traces also beside signal traces.
The power traces are for the main AC/230v which are going into a relay then out on two outputs.

Everything is fine, but! I wish to mill all the copper around the power traces so I can get a copper less clear distance between
the traces so it could not happen does a spark is jumping over the traces.

When we mill our pcb with cnc, we can setup the clearance between the traces, but I don't have to remove the whole
copper from the pcb, just in the area where the power traces are.

I don't know if I explained enough correct but here is a simple picture about my problem:

The N$9, N$10 and N$12 are the power traces.
I wish to remove the copper area what I marked with some green drawings.

Any idea how to achieve this with the pcb-gcode plugin for Eagle?

Thank you.

Fred Genius

I’ve had the same problem before, solved it by adding my own gcode at the end of the milling process – used a 2mm carbide end mill to do the milling, removes large areas quickly.

Fred Ö¿Ö

I have to make a pcb where are power traces also beside signal traces.
The power traces are for the main AC/230v which are going into a relay then out on two outputs.

Everything is fine, but! I wish to mill all the copper around the power traces so I can get a copper less clear distance between
the traces so it could not happen does a spark is jumping over the traces.

When we mill our pcb with cnc, we can setup the clearance between the traces, but I don't have to remove the whole
copper from the pcb, just in the area where the power traces are.

I don't know if I explained enough correct but here is a simple picture about my problem:

The N$9, N$10 and N$12 are the power traces.
I wish to remove the copper area what I marked with some green drawings.

Any idea how to achieve this with the pcb-gcode plugin for Eagle?

Thank you.

Attachments:

Christian Robert Adzic

Hi!

Thanks for the advice,
I'm new in this stuff and I'm relaying to software created/converted gcode sources.
Can you pls send me some example  how you managed the problem?

You don't need to make a complex think just a few steps of code so I can figure out what is doing.

Actually, I like your idea how you solved the problem.

My best regards.

Fred Genius

Edited

If you’re using Mach3, you can use one of the built-in script wizards, ‘Rectangular Pocket’ I think would suit this purpose best.

Otherwise, not difficult to write the code yourself, something like this (doing this from my head so please check before actually running anything based on this):

G0 X0 Y0 ; rapid move to start point

G1 Z-0.01 Fnnnn ; lower tool to cutting depth (nnnn is the feed rate, in mm/minute or mm/second whichever appropriate for your machine)

G1 X100 ; mill the first ‘x’ leg

G1 Y1 ; move the tool by half the diameter

G1 X0 ; mill the second leg

G1 Y2;

G1 X100

That will mill an area 100mm by whatever your final Y value is (+ tool radius), at a depth of 0.01mm. Hope this is useful…

Fred Ö¿Ö

I'm new in this stuff and I'm relaying to software created/converted gcode sources.
Can you pls send me some example  how you managed the problem?

You don't need to make a complex think just a few steps of code so I can figure out what is doing.

Actually, I like your idea how you solved the problem.

My best regards.

Harvey White

On Sun, 25 Nov 2018 18:31:34 -0000, you wrote:

One thing you can do is to define the class of the signal as
(arbitrary name) "high power" then define the trace width and minimum
spacing. (then route...)

If PCBGCODE pays attention to that, then you're fine. The traces will
be autorouted far enough away, and if you're hand routing the board,
the DRC check will whine at you.

If not, then just draw the ground plane to exclude the area, or check
how eagle does "keep outs and restricts". That might help.

Harvey

[...]

* My_pcb.jpg <https://groups.io/g/pcbgcode/attachment/7903/0>

Fred Genius

I thought of that, great if you're having boards made professionally, but if you're using cnc isolation milling it's a very tedious and time-consuming process to remove large areas of copper with a V bit.

Christian Robert Adzic

Thank's guys!

One of these solutions will solve my problem.

I think also does engraving a large area of copper with a V carve bit will take too much time.
I will use an endmill bit 2-3mm.

This situation is not a common situation so a bit coding in gcode would be fine I assume.

Thank's all of you.
My best regards.

Fred Genius

A 1/8” end mill has the same size shank as a V bit (typically), so perhaps more convenient than a 2mm or 3mm bit. Although ER11A collets are designed to close up 0.5mm, I found it somewhat difficult to get a 3mm shank tight in a 1/8” collet..

Fred Ö¿Ö

One of these solutions will solve my problem.

I think also does engraving a large area of copper with a V carve bit will take too much time.
I will use an endmill bit 2-3mm.

This situation is not a common situation so a bit coding in gcode would be fine I assume.

Thank's all of you.
My best regards.

John Johnson

You could look into doing a polygon with a crosshatch fill pattern, with the pattern spacing smaller than your endmill size. Been a while, so I’m a bit rusty on the details.
You could also just draw a grid or stripes on the milling layer.

From: Fred Genius <fredgenius@...>
Reply: pcbgcode@groups.io <pcbgcode@groups.io>
Date: November 25, 2018 at 3:26:01 PM
To: pcbgcode@groups.io <pcbgcode@groups.io>