Topics

Gaps in milling

scott.goldthwaite@...

I ran pcb-gcode on a board I just finished designing.  Looking at the pcb-gcode viewer, there are a few spots where there are gaps in the milling (see attached file "gaps in milling.png").   I also attached a screenshot of the board ("input Board.png) and the brd and sch file.  My pcb-gcode settings are:

Isolation: Min 0.005, Max 0.02, step, 0.01

Tool diameter 0.015

I haven't looked at the gode in another viewer and I actually milled the PCB, so it's possible the gcode is fine and it's a viewer problem.

Am I doing something wrong or is this a pcb-gcode problem?  I'm using pcb-gcode version 3.6.2. Eagle version 6.5.0 on a Mac.

John Johnson <john6060842@...>

Change the isolate parameter on the pour to a higher value (0.040 worked for me), or lower your minimum isolation in pcb-gcode (0.001 worked for me). The gaps are caused by the pour and the track being too close to make two passes through, as we discussed previously.

BTW, the pour is a bit of a mess. I cleaned it up so I could see what was going on. I don't see that the keep out areas were needed, as they're both being milled off in the end. Also, the milling is really close to the tracks and pads on the right end of the board. Finally, pcb-gcode plays nicer when all the cutting areas are to the left and above the origin (i.e. positive coordinates), so I shifted everything over. No warranties expressed or implied :-)

On Tue, May 20, 2014 at 9:36 PM, scott.goldthwaite@... [pcb-gcode] <pcb-gcode@...> wrote:

I ran pcb-gcode on a board I just finished designing.  Looking at the pcb-gcode viewer, there are a few spots where there are gaps in the milling (see attached file "gaps in milling.png").   I also attached a screenshot of the board ("input Board.png) and the brd and sch file.  My pcb-gcode settings are:

Isolation: Min 0.005, Max 0.02, step, 0.01

Tool diameter 0.015

I haven't looked at the gode in another viewer and I actually milled the PCB, so it's possible the gcode is fine and it's a viewer problem.

Am I doing something wrong or is this a pcb-gcode problem?  I'm using pcb-gcode version 3.6.2. Eagle version 6.5.0 on a Mac.

scott.goldthwaite@...

Great feedback, thanks.  I had the keepout areas there because the autorouter was putting traces in those areas.  At the time I had deleted the outline wires on the dimension layer and only had the fat line in the milling layer.  I added the outline back in on the dimension layer, I don't know if autorouter uses that as a boundary or not - I didn't test the autorouter after I added the outline back in.

I thought my problem might have something to do with the ground pour.