Topics

G Code optimiser

Z P

Is the optimiser available as a stand alone application?

mlmcnc

Hi ZP,
The optimizer in PCB-Gcode doesn't optimise the G code. It optimizes the data sent from Eagle which subsequently gets converted into G code. Hence no stand alone version.
It is something that I may consider writing if I find the time and there is sufficient interest, although a Google search will find that there are some already out there.
Regards
Martin Marriott
mlmSolutions

Dan Andersson

On 20 Apr 2014 22:42:01 -0700
<martin312@...> wrote:

Hi ZP,
The optimizer in PCB-Gcode doesn't optimise the G code. It optimizes the data sent from Eagle which subsequently gets converted into G code. Hence no stand alone version.
It is something that I may consider writing if I find the time and there is sufficient interest, although a Google search will find that there are some already out there.
Regards
Martin Marriott
mlmSolutions

There is a gcode optimizer out there!

I think it's called "Opti" and is a part of the standalone Gerber to Gcode conversion written in python.

I use it and it works. I can tell how much it improve the milling but it's a visible improvement.

//Dan, M0DFI

Dan Andersson

On Mon, 21 Apr 2014 07:42:22 +0100
Dan Andersson <dan@...> wrote:

I use it and it works. I CAN NOT tell how much it improve the milling but it's a visible improvement.
//Dan, M0DFI

Z P

 I am currently using the optimiser and it does help minimise high speed uncoordinated traverse movements ( G00 ) .

It does not however have a capacity to modify plunge position or direction of cut Around the isolation path. I gues it is not an editor AND optimiser.

I do modify plunge point and direction of cut ( CW or CCW ) at times when needed in particular with large complex area rubout passes.

Dan Andersson wrote:

> I use it and it works. I CAN NOT tell how much it improve the milling but it's a visible improvement.

//Dan, M0DFI

mlmcnc

Hi ZP,

I'm not sure which optimiser you are referring to in your post. If it is Opti then I can't comment as I do not use it.
If however you are talking about PCB-Gcode then if you wish to select climb or conventional milling on the etch layer, you use the "Prefer Climb" check box on the General Options tab of the Setup screen.

I am not sure what you mean by "modify plunge point". Could you clarify please.

Regards
Martin Marriott
mlmSolutions

Z P

I am referring to Opti.

Plunge point :  isolation paths around a piece of copper usually tends to be a closed loop which has a start and a finish point

consider a bus structure  where adjacent isolation paths have starting points in close proximity to each other; a highly ordered ( optimised) condition as very little air gets to be cut
Now consider same structure where adjacent paths get to start all over the place; patently poorer optimisation.

It it this start point where the tool plunges into laminate that needs to be optimised as well.

This implies a need to shuffle elements in between two G00 statements not just the sequence of blocks of G00 code

On Tuesday, 22 April 2014 9:45 PM, "martin312@..." wrote:

Hi ZP,

I'm not sure which optimiser you are referring to in your post. If it is Opti then I can't comment as I do not use it.
If however you are talking about PCB-Gcode then if you wish to select climb or conventional milling on the etch layer, you use the "Prefer Climb" check box on the General Options tab of the Setup screen.

I am not sure what you mean by "modify plunge point". Could you clarify please.

Regards
Martin Marriott
mlmSolutions

mlmcnc

Hi ZP,

Thanks for clarifying that for me.
As PCB-Gcode allows you to select Climb or Conventional AND optimises the "Plunge Point", I guess you won't be using Opti for your PCB's any more.

Cheers
Martin Marriott
mlmSolutions.

Z P

Opti is the only option for me at the moment as I do not use PCB-Gcode. I use Gerbers exclusively.
I do have the ability to sort, sequence and modify plunge point within gerber environment however a more automated way would be preferable.