Topics

etching labels?

John Ferguson

It occurs to me that i could etch labels on the non copper side of boards. Is anyone here doing that?

Hi John,

That’s certainly possible. Vector text on the milling layer is ‘engraved’ rather than being ‘outlined’ so it looks nicer. Text that is mirrored will be etched on the bottom layer, while non-mirrored text will be etched on the top layer.

Another possibility is printing the layout from Eagle and pasting it onto the top of the board. I did this in the past and I think it looks pretty nice. I had to make starter holes in the paper with an awl for the component legs, as they are hard to press through the paper. Picture attached.

Sent with Unibox

On May 20, 2017, at 12:18 PM, john jferg977@... [pcb-gcode] wrote:

It occurs to me that i could etch labels on the non copper side of
boards. Is anyone here doing that?

Yep, been doing that for some time.  I mill them about .005" deep and then "fill" with a sharpie and wipe the excess off.  Makes a nice contrast that is easy to read.  I use Vector Text that is .1" high and put it on Milling Layer 46.  Make sure you check the box in the setup ulp to "Generate Text".  This will give you two files one for top side and one for bottom side with proper mirroring. I haven't tried to do a bottom one because you would have to be sure you didn't cut any traces. So the bottom text file isn't used.

I have also used it to include some of the symbols etc that are normally in the milling file.  However the milling file is generally has a much deeper depth of cut so I do a cut and paste from the top milling file into the top text file and it works quite well.

It occurs to me that i could etch labels on the non copper side of
boards. Is anyone here doing that?

thanks much. problem is my board has a number of latching 4-pin connectors and in a year i'll forget which is which.

john

On 05/20/2017 01:04 PM, Art Eckstein art.eckstein@... [pcb-gcode] wrote:
�

[...]

Dan.Staver

I mill letters in the top copper using Eagle PCB vector font 50mil high with 10% (5mil) stroke width. They come out great.

Dan Staver
Tave Tech Corp.
3130 Hollycrest Dr.
Colorado Springs, CO 80920
+1-719-359-5352 - office
+1-719-502-1675 - cell
tavetech - Skype
W3QDO

On May 20, 2017, at 11:20 AM, john jferg977@... [pcb-gcode] <pcb-gcode@...> wrote:

[...]

thanks much.  when i get to smd projects I'll do it your way.

best,

john