Topics

Drill Depth Bug

scott.goldthwaite@...

I just ran the bottom drill gcode for my PCB and it didn't drill the holes deep enough.  I have the spot drill set to 0.011, but the checkbox is unchecked, so it shouldn't do this at all - which it did not when I ran the etch job.  In the machine tab, the drill depth is set to 0.08 inches.  What my machine actually did is  go to the drill change position, then go the the first hole and drill it 0.08" (which is good), but every hole after that it drilled to 0.011".   Then it would do another tool change, the first hole after that would be 0.08" and then everything else is 0.011"

Also, I have a question about spot drilling.  I'm using a 0.0118" end mill to do the etching.  Should I enable the spot drilling feature?  Or is this something that's only good for tapered milling bits?

I am using the feature where you can have a range of hole diameters all be drilled with one size drill bit.

john6060842@gmail.com <john6060842@...>

Thanks for reporting this, Scott. What profile are you using?

Spot drilling is probably best for tapered bits, as they are stiffer than drill bits.

Regards,
John

On May 17, 2014, at 2:33 PM, "scott.goldthwaite@... [pcb-gcode]" <pcb-gcode@...> wrote:

I just ran the bottom drill gcode for my PCB and it didn't drill the holes deep enough.  I have the spot drill set to 0.011, but the checkbox is unchecked, so it shouldn't do this at all - which it did not when I ran the etch job.  In the machine tab, the drill depth is set to 0.08 inches.  What my machine actually did is  go to the drill change position, then go the the first hole and drill it 0.08" (which is good), but every hole after that it drilled to 0.011".   Then it would do another tool change, the first hole after that would be 0.08" and then everything else is 0.011"

Also, I have a question about spot drilling.  I'm using a 0.0118" end mill to do the etching.  Should I enable the spot drilling feature?  Or is this something that's only good for tapered milling bits?

I am using the feature where you can have a range of hole diameters all be drilled with one size drill bit.

scott.goldthwaite@...

Attached is the profile I used.  I also zipped up the settings files and attached those also.

---In pcb-gcode@..., <john6060842@...> wrote :

Thanks for reporting this, Scott. What profile are you using?

Spot drilling is probably best for tapered bits, as they are stiffer than drill bits.

Regards,
John

scott.goldthwaite@...

My profile is based on generic.pp.  I think I see the problem, but I don't know how to fix it.
In this code:
string DRILL_HOLE =       RAPID + MOVE_XY + EOL 
                          + FEED + "Z" + real_to_string(SPOT_DRILL_DEPTH) + EOL 
                          + FEED + "Z" + real_to_string(DEFAULT_Z_UP) + EOL;

it has SPOT_DRILL_DEPTH as the value to drill down.  Seems like it should be DRILL_DEPTH or something but I don't know what the variable is named.

John Johnson <john6060842@...>

It should be close by in the drill first hole command. I'll have a look when I'm back at my computer. 

Regards,
John

On May 17, 2014, at 11:26 PM, "scott.goldthwaite@... [pcb-gcode]" <pcb-gcode@...> wrote:

My profile is based on generic.pp.  I think I see the problem, but I don't know how to fix it.

In this code:
string DRILL_HOLE =       RAPID + MOVE_XY + EOL 
                          + FEED + "Z" + real_to_string(SPOT_DRILL_DEPTH) + EOL 
                          + FEED + "Z" + real_to_string(DEFAULT_Z_UP) + EOL;

it has SPOT_DRILL_DEPTH as the value to drill down.  Seems like it should be DRILL_DEPTH or something but I don't know what the variable is named.