Topics

Best size end mill for milling perimeter of PCB? #mill

Terry Gray

Maybe a bit off topic but can someone recommend the best size and type of end mill for milling out the perimeter of a PCB?

keith3125

On Sunday, December 22, 2019, 05:00:35 PM EST, Terry Gray <twgray2007@...> wrote:

Maybe a bit off topic but can someone recommend the best size and type of end mill for milling out the perimeter of a PCB?

Dan.Staver

I use the largest size bit I can while keeping it 2-3 mils smaller than the smallest gap between traces.

Dan Staver
Tave Tech Corp.
3130 Hollycrest Dr.
Colorado Springs, CO 80920
+1-719-359-5352 - office
+1-719-502-1675 - cell
tavetech - Skype
dan.staver@...
www.tavetech.com
W3QDO

On Dec 22, 2019, at 3:05 PM, keith3125 via Groups.Io <kc1of36@...> wrote:

On Sunday, December 22, 2019, 05:00:35 PM EST, Terry Gray <twgray2007@...> wrote:

Maybe a bit off topic but can someone recommend the best size and type of end mill for milling out the perimeter of a PCB?

keith3125

He was asking about cutting the perimeter.

On Sunday, December 22, 2019, 05:08:44 PM EST, Dan.Staver <dan.staver@...> wrote:

I use the largest size bit I can while keeping it 2-3 mils smaller than the smallest gap between traces.

Dan Staver
Tave Tech Corp.
3130 Hollycrest Dr.
Colorado Springs, CO 80920
+1-719-359-5352 - office
+1-719-502-1675 - cell
tavetech - Skype
dan.staver@...
www.tavetech.com
W3QDO

On Dec 22, 2019, at 3:05 PM, keith3125 via Groups.Io <kc1of36@...> wrote:

On Sunday, December 22, 2019, 05:00:35 PM EST, Terry Gray <twgray2007@...> wrote:

Maybe a bit off topic but can someone recommend the best size and type of end mill for milling out the perimeter of a PCB?

Vaughn

Hi Gerry, I use V point mills. 60 Degree normally, but there are also 30 and 15 degree I think. After milling the board, my mill, mills a border. This I then follow to cut the board to size. If I mill the surround, all the way through, the board will become detached from the mill bed, so making is unstable, unless you stick it to the bed all over?

Once milled and cut I can then clean up if needed with a file.

Hope this helps Vaughn

--
M0VLK - LARC Chairman 2018/19
2E0EDN

mariob_1960@...

Edited

0.0625 inches equals 1.6mm, I'm going to try, I usually use 2mm.

Vaughn, are you using vacuum table?

I am close to finishing my smart vacuum table version, for low cost, high vacuum and low flow vacuum pump, I am using a refrigerator / fridge motir, which allows pcb milling even after drilling.

I hope to be successful, it is still necessary for you to be practical and useful

Here a video showing first tests
https://youtu.be/GKixnoCBAQA

John Ferguson

This is what I use for the permiterw,

Amana Tool 51515 SC Spiral 'O' Single Flute, Plastic Cutting 1/16 D x
1/4 CH x 1/8 SHK x 2 Inch Long Down-Cut CNC Router Bit with Mirror Finish

I use pcbcode for the traces and a 15 degree etcher (name if anyone is interested), and SheetCam for the perimeter. Sheetcam has a function for lifting the cutter at intervals as it cuts to form tabs. One can cut the tabs off after the perimeter is cut using a razor blade.

All of my boards are same size (2x3). I have an aluminum fixture to drill the holes in the corners, and an HDPE  fixture which bolts to my 6040 CNC router.  The HDPE fixture is drilled to align with the corner holes in the PCB board and I hold it down with 4 nylon 6-32 socket head cap screws.

I face off the top of the HDPE fixture with a one inch fly cutter to level the surface.  When I'm doing boards, there is usually a sequence as I home in on something which will work so I only need to do the facing once.  But I do have to do it every time I take the fixture off the router bed and need to replace it.

If anyone is interested I can send the full details of this setup.

Groups.io Links:

You automatically follow any topics you start or reply to.

View/Reply Online (#8025) <https://groups.io/g/pcbgcode/message/8025> | Reply To Group <mailto:pcbgcode@groups.io?subject=Re:%20Re%3A%20%5Bpcbgcode%5D%20Best%20size%20end%20mill%20for%20milling%20perimeter%20of%20PCB%3F%20%23mill> | Reply To Sender <mailto:mariob_1960@...?subject=Private:%20Re:%20Re%3A%20%5Bpcbgcode%5D%20Best%20size%20end%20mill%20for%20milling%20perimeter%20of%20PCB%3F%20%23mill> | Mute This Topic <https://groups.io/mt/69217775/88436> | New Topic <https://groups.io/g/pcbgcode/post>

_._,_._,_

Dan.Staver

Sorry, I missed that fact :-)

I use precisebits.com router bits for routing perimeters and internal channels. https://www.precisebits.com/

Dan Staver
Tave Tech Corp.
3130 Hollycrest Dr.
Colorado Springs, CO 80920
+1-719-359-5352 - office
+1-719-502-1675 - cell
tavetech - Skype
dan.staver@...
www.tavetech.com
W3QDO

On Dec 22, 2019, at 3:13 PM, keith3125 via Groups.Io <kc1of36@...> wrote:

[...]

John, could you send me the details?

Terry Gray

Thanks all!  Appreciate the quick responses.

John Ferguson

Later.  john

On 12/23/19 2:19 PM, Terry Gray wrote:
John, could you send me the details?

Stephen Muscato

We used TULON 3/32"  P/N 44093803 when I was employed.

Similar to these, just the end was different.  "Fish Point" is what we called them.

Steve

On Sunday, December 22, 2019, 4:00:34 PM CST, Terry Gray <twgray2007@...> wrote:

Maybe a bit off topic but can someone recommend the best size and type of end mill for milling out the perimeter of a PCB?

John Ferguson

EM3E8-0100-15V 0.0100in. (0.254mm) tip dia., 3-flute 15° tapered stub trace-isolation bit, 0.020 in. DOC, 1.42 in. (36mm) OAL

This is what I use for routing traces on my 6040.  I get them from Precise Bits in Colorado.

I run them at 24000 rpm and get really nice results.  As I said, I use a different bit for cutting out the perimeters.

John

mariob_1960@...

John, ¿qué velocidad de alimentación utilizas para las trazas y para cortar?

John Ferguson

Hola Mario,

las velocidades son

para trazas 20 (IPM) pulgado por minuto XY,  10 pulgado por minuto in Z

        cortar 8 (IPM) pulgado por minuto XY, 6 pulgado por minuto in Z

        todos 24,000 RPM

bueno suerte con eso.

john

No Aprendi esas palabras in escuela hace 60 anos ahora.

On 12/26/19 4:29 AM, mariob_1960 via Groups.Io wrote:
John, ¿qué velocidad de alimentación utilizas para las trazas y para cortar?

Phillip Vogel

I'd like to get details of your work holding solution. Do you do anything about possible bows in the boards? I have found that if I don't use either a vacuum fixture or double-sided tape, the board height is all over the place. That said, I have successfully (but not easily) completed boards with 8mil traces/spaces on a Taig mill.

Amana Tool 51515 SC Spiral 'O' Single Flute, Plastic Cutting 1/16 D x
1/4 CH x 1/8 SHK x 2 Inch Long Down-Cut CNC Router Bit with Mirror Finish

I use pcbcode for the traces and a 15 degree etcher (name if anyone is interested), and SheetCam for the perimeter. Sheetcam has a function for lifting the cutter at intervals as it cuts to form tabs. One can cut the tabs off after the perimeter is cut using a razor blade.

All of my boards are same size (2x3). I have an aluminum fixture to drill the holes in the corners, and an HDPE  fixture which bolts to my
6040 CNC router.  The HDPE fixture is drilled to align with the corner holes in the PCB board and I hold it down with 4 nylon 6-32 socket head cap screws.

I face off the top of the HDPE fixture with a one inch fly cutter to level the surface.  When I'm doing boards, there is usually a sequence as I home in on something which will work so I only need to do the facing once.  But I do have to do it every time I take the fixture off the router bed and need to replace it.

If anyone is interested I can send the full details of this setup.

Groups.io Links:

You automatically follow any topics you start or reply to.

View/Reply Online (#8025) <https://groups.io/g/pcbgcode/message/8025>
| Reply To Group
<mailto:pcbgcode@groups.io?subject=Re:%20Re%3A%20%5Bpcbgcode%5D%20Best
%20size%20end%20mill%20for%20milling%20perimeter%20of%20PCB%3F%20%23mi
ll>
| Reply To Sender
<mailto:mariob_1960@...?subject=Private:%20Re:%20Re%3A%20%5Bp
cbgcode%5D%20Best%20size%20end%20mill%20for%20milling%20perimeter%20of
%20PCB%3F%20%23mill>
| Mute This Topic <https://groups.io/mt/69217775/88436> | New Topic
<https://groups.io/g/pcbgcode/post>

<https://groups.io/g/pcbgcode/leave/defanged>
[jferg977@...]

_._,_._,_
Attachments:
DSC07307.JPG: https://groups.io/g/pcbgcode/attachment/8026/0

Phillip Vogel

Just a data point: 0.0625 inches is 1/16 inch, a pretty common size in our metric-illiterate world.

Also, I’d really like to hear more about your vacuum fixture. I have built one, but I’m curious as to how you get that smart hole tolerance. Mine lets go when there is a hole of any significant size.

0.0625 inches equals 1.6mm, I'm going to try, I usually use 2mm.

Vaughn, are you using vacuum table?

I am close to finishing my smart vacuum table version, for low cost, high vacuum and low flow vacuum pump, I am using a refrigerator / fridge motir, which allows pcb milling even after drilling.

I hope to be successful, it is still necessary for you to be practical and useful

Here a video showing first tests
https://youtu.be/GKixnoCBAQA

Gaston Gagnon

Hi Phillip,
I have not follow this tread so I hope this is helpful and pertinent, otherwise I am sorry.

I use this program successfully to compensate for the problem you allude to:

On 2020-03-11 11:54 a.m., Phillip Vogel wrote:
I'd like to get details of your work holding solution. Do you do anything about possible bows in the boards? I have found that if I don't use either a vacuum fixture or double-sided tape, the board height is all over the place. That said, I have successfully (but not easily) completed boards with 8mil traces/spaces on a Taig mill.

  Amana Tool 51515 SC Spiral 'O' Single Flute, Plastic Cutting 1/16 D x
  1/4 CH x 1/8 SHK x 2 Inch Long Down-Cut CNC Router Bit with Mirror Finish

I use pcbcode for the traces and a 15 degree etcher (name if anyone is interested), and SheetCam for the perimeter. Sheetcam has a function for lifting the cutter at intervals as it cuts to form tabs. One can cut the tabs off after the perimeter is cut using a razor blade.

All of my boards are same size (2x3). I have an aluminum fixture to drill the holes in the corners, and an HDPE  fixture which bolts to my
6040 CNC router.  The HDPE fixture is drilled to align with the corner holes in the PCB board and I hold it down with 4 nylon 6-32 socket head cap screws.

I face off the top of the HDPE fixture with a one inch fly cutter to level the surface.  When I'm doing boards, there is usually a sequence as I home in on something which will work so I only need to do the facing once.  But I do have to do it every time I take the fixture off the router bed and need to replace it.

If anyone is interested I can send the full details of this setup.

Groups.io Links:

You automatically follow any topics you start or reply to.

View/Reply Online (#8025) <https://groups.io/g/pcbgcode/message/8025>
| Reply To Group
<mailto:pcbgcode@groups.io?subject=Re:%20Re%3A%20%5Bpcbgcode%5D%20Best
%20size%20end%20mill%20for%20milling%20perimeter%20of%20PCB%3F%20%23mi
ll>
| Reply To Sender
<mailto:mariob_1960@...?subject=Private:%20Re:%20Re%3A%20%5Bp
cbgcode%5D%20Best%20size%20end%20mill%20for%20milling%20perimeter%20of
%20PCB%3F%20%23mill>
| Mute This Topic <https://groups.io/mt/69217775/88436> | New Topic
<https://groups.io/g/pcbgcode/post>

<https://groups.io/g/pcbgcode/leave/defanged>
[jferg977@...]

_._,_._,_
Attachments:
DSC07307.JPG: https://groups.io/g/pcbgcode/attachment/8026/0

John Blanchard

I use the cheap v-bits for milling the perimeter (cutting out the board).

I use 0.5 mm end mills for the isolation pass with a depth of 3 mils (~0.08 mm). The only way this works is using the Autoleveler program Gaston mentioned. I don't take any special care to level the board. My CNC bed is fly cut but I use a piece of scrap wood on top of the bed and attach the PCB blank to the board with double sided carpet tape. I typically set the Autoleveler to probe the board about every 1/2 inch (~12mm). Flooding the board with a thin layer of cutting oil after probing and before cutting gives much cleaner traces. The oil also keeps the dust down. I use a 0.8 mm drill for all holes and hand drill or ream larger holes after machining is complete.

I only make single sided boards and seldom design traces less than 20 mils (~0.5mm).

I like following this group as I'm always ready to learn better ways.

John