Topics

Annotated g-code weirdness...! #mill

Patrick Ferrick

Hi all-

I'm attempting to produce gcode to drill a tiny little test board with a single 8-pin DIP and no traces.   I will use linuxcnc, and when I generate a drill file for the most basic setup (all I did was turn off comments, I believe) I get the attached screenshot.

I have figured out how to modify the gcode by tweaking user-gcode.h and also by commenting out various simple stuff in pcb-gcode.ulp .
I am at a loss to modify/omit the stuff in the screenshot, though.  Plus there's a concerning spindle start-stop I can't seem to modify.

Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Patrick

John Johnson

Hi Patrick,

Just a quick note - I would recommend using Notepad++ to edit your files on Windows.

https://notepad-plus-plus.org/

On 20 May 2020, at 13:45, Patrick Ferrick wrote:

Hi all-

I'm attempting to produce gcode to drill a tiny little test board with a single 8-pin DIP and no traces.   I will use linuxcnc, and when I generate a drill file for the most basic setup (all I did was turn off comments, I believe) I get the attached screenshot.

I have figured out how to modify the gcode by tweaking *user-gcode.h* and also by commenting out various simple stuff in *pcb-gcode.ulp .
* I am at a loss to modify/omit the stuff in the screenshot, though.  Plus there's a concerning spindle start-stop I can't seem to modify.

Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Patrick

Patrick Ferrick

I do use Notepad++ and really like it!  Now if I can just get my noggin around how certain things end up in certain places in the code, I'll be all set.  I have figured out how to adjust user-gcode.h and that takes care of 75% of the changes I'd like to implement.  So far, though, I haven't been able to see where some of the highlighted stuff is generated.

For example, when I search for things like 'High' which appears in the very beginning, I find it nowhere in any of the files I'm sifting through!

I'll get it eventually I'm sure.  Thank you for what is obviously a very non-trivial amount of work to pull this off!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy , an AT&T LTE smartphone

[...]

To get rid of the first two lines, turn off NC File Comment Machine Settings. You'll find it in GCode options. See page 12 of the manual.

The user-gcode.h should be thought of as a last resort for getting the generated gcode the way you want it. Other things you can look at are creating your own .pp profile. See page 21 of the manual.