Topics

Alternative method of isolation milling

m_elias

Hey fellow pcb millers! I just tried an alternate method of milling my isolation cuts. Rather than using the etch file generated by pcb-gcode, I drew my own lines on the milling layer. This allows me to maximize the amount of copper left on the board and minimize the amount of cutting needed. The down side is, it's a lot of manual drawing and I can only draw the lines for the top or bot layer (all milling layer items in eagle are generated for top and bot layers). For this board all my components are through-hole, so I used the top-etch and bot-mill files.

I have attached a couple screen shots showing what I mean, they are both for the bottom of the board. Is there a way of generating these type of isolation cut files instead of me drawing them manually? Does anyone do something similar? This just occurred to me, maybe I could use the text layer for the other side of the board if I don't want any actual text anyways.

mlmcnc

I believe that Art has given you the solution. A single pass cut combined with a ground pour will maximise the amount of copper left on your board.

Regards
Martin Marriott
mlmSolutions

m_elias

Thanks for the replies, but did you guys look at my attachments? My etch file shows I'm already using single pass, and if I add a ground pour, pcb-gcode creates another isolation cut around the ground pour. Don't get me wrong, pcb-gcode is a great piece of software and I appreciate JJ making it available for us to use and I realize it would be quite complicated to write software that can do what I want. I was just hoping I wasn't the only one doing this and maybe there was name for this technique, Voronoi diagrams look pretty close.

m_elias

I'm afraid I'm already using the single pass option, and adding a ground pour just creates another isolation cut around that. Voronoi diagrams look pretty close, but it sounds like manually drawing the cut lines is my only option for now.

Svend Poulsen

Could it be something like this, you are looking for: http://sourceforge.net/projects/visolate/

To: pcb-gcode@...
From: pcb-gcode@...
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2015 06:24:47 -0700
Subject: [pcb-gcode] Re: Alternative method of isolation milling

I'm afraid I'm already using the single pass option, and adding a ground pour just creates another isolation cut around that. Voronoi diagrams look pretty close, but it sounds like manually drawing the cut lines is my only option for now.

Ashraf Emam

Hi,
  Did you try to alter design rules of Eagle from the menu(Menu - Edit - Design Rules). You can control the amount of copper for each pad, line and isolation.
I am using it and I get remarkable results.
Good Luck
Ashraf

On Apr 1, 2015, at 4:24 PM, m_elias@... [pcb-gcode] <pcb-gcode@...> wrote:

I'm afraid I'm already using the single pass option, and adding a ground pour just creates another isolation cut around that. Voronoi diagrams look pretty close, but it sounds like manually drawing the cut lines is my only option for now.

m_elias

This looks interesting, I will check it out when I get the time. Thanks Svend!