Topics

Smallest practical SMD size for etched boards? #pcbgcode

John Ferguson

I find I need to do a two sided board with some resistors and caps.  It looks like 1206 might be usable.  Is there any experience with anything smaller, or is even 1206 too small?

I have a reflow oven but so far have done all my soldering by hand

john ferguson

karmannelectric

I've done 0603 without too much trouble but for home milled boards I
prefer 0805. I wouldn't run a trace between the pads though (not that
I've tried; I'm worried about solder shorts without a solder mask) but I
bet you could with a 1206.
- Steve

I find I need to do a two sided board with some resistors and caps.  It
looks like 1206 might be usable.  Is there any experience with anything
smaller, or is even 1206 too small?

john ferguson

harry0099@...

Edited

Hi John,

if you use a v-bit with narrow tip (e.g 0.2 or even 0.1 mm) and a decent angle (e.g 10..30°), there is - or at least I see - no reason why you shouldn't use even smaller SMD parts.
I once did a design, two sided, too, with, I think it's 0603 parts and a 4x4 mm QFN chip. The linked page is in german, but there is a translation feature at the bottom of the page.

Harald

John Ferguson

Harry, that is very impressive work.  thanks for the link. 

john

On 8/10/20 11:00 AM, harry0099@... wrote:
Hi John,

if you use a v-bit with narrow tip (e.g 0.2 or even 0.1 mm) and a decent angle (e.g 10..30°), there is - or at least I see - no reason why you shouldn't use even smaller SMD parts.
I once did a design, two sided, too, with 0402 parts and a 4x4 mm QFN chip. The linked page is in german, but there is a translation feature at the bottom of the page.

Harald

peterg1000

Edited

Hi John,

No reason to avoid the 0603 components if your router is good to 0.001 - 0.002".  I use a V bit with a 30deg angle and a calibrated minimum isolation of 0.29mm - or just under 0.012" at a milling depth of 0.005".  The particular one I favour ( from StoneyCNC )leaves smooth edges to the etched lines - 0.2mm or 0.3mm endmills have all proven unsatisfactory, leaving rough frayed edges to the tracks.  V bits from China are dirt cheap and totally useless - frayed edges and unpredictable calibrated track widths - don't even pick up your barge pole!!

You'll need a means of getting your FR4 absolutely flat for this to work - I use a homemade vacuum table milled flat in situ for this.  I either use a vacuum pump or if convenient, very thin double sided tape to attach the workpiece and use a homemade touch probe to establish Z = 0 for each tool I use (repeatability is better than 0.0005").

Getting the correct ( VERY small) amount of solder paste has been the biggest challenge - and my latest experiment using a solder mask cut from 0.3mm mylar sheet is still under way.  As an alternative I've used a very fine hypodermic needle ( 25 gauge ) as a "trowel" to transfer from a bead of solder paste on a piece of siliconised paper to a solder pad. Its tedious in the extreme so I hope the solder mask experiment works. 

I've some pics of the latest effort, but have no idea of how to get this into a post - if it's even possible

With double sided boards,  vias are drilled to 1/32" and I then use 1/32" brass rivets (model engineering supplies) to join the tracks.  When purchased these rivets are usually well oxidised, so I soak overnight in "Clock Cleaning Solution" to get them bright and shiny. Handle with tweezers to avoid contamination.

Peter

Harvey White

I do double sided boards, 1206 and 805.  805 makes the layouts a bit easier in terms of parts packing.  I've used 608, but they get pickier about hand soldering.

Harvey

On 8/10/2020 10:18 AM, John Ferguson via groups.io wrote:
I find I need to do a two sided board with some resistors and caps.  It looks like 1206 might be usable.  Is there any experience with anything smaller, or is even 1206 too small?

john ferguson

John Ferguson

Thanks much gentlemen.

the specs for what I want to do show 805.s I'll try them.

best,

john