Topics

PCB-Gcode in Fusion 360 #pcbgcode

joeaverage

Hi,
I have used PCB-Gcode extensively with EAGLE over a number of years but have recently decided to migrate to Fusion 360.
The electronics/PCB package is very closely related to EAGLE and I have found that it is  as easy to use after adjusting to the new interface.

With Fusion all your projects are stored on the cloud, whereas with EAGLE they are stored on your local hard-drive. While there are a number
of ulp's on the cloud pcb-gcode is not among them. It is intended (by Autodesk) that such a ulp will be stored locally.

I have loaded the pcb-gcode ulp to the Doucuments/Fusion360/ulps (on my local PC) file which is provided for use. I have been
able to run the ulp and it generates the required files but the top.etch and bot.etch files are empty despite the .drill and .mill files
being complete with comments, line numbers and compliant Gcode.

Can anyone suggest a reason that good .dill and .mill files are produced but not .etch files?

Craig

John Johnson

What does the screen look like when the etch files are being created? Do you still see the progressive outlines around the tracks?

On Jul 29, 2020, at 5:23 PM, joeaverage <joe.average@...> wrote:

[...]

Jonathan Lockhart

Craig,

How'd you get that to run in Fusion? I installed it to the ULP folder and when I run it I get a blank pop up window. Using the latest version of Fusion on Win10.

Regards,
Jon

On Wed, Jul 29, 2020, 6:29 PM John Johnson <john@...> wrote:
[...]

No, the displays flickers briefly as if it's doing the calculations and a 'Pour panel' briefly shows, the panel is part of the new Fusion interface .

Now that you have me thinking about what I see I'm wondering if the 'Pour', being the rectangle of the PCB outline needs to be defined
BEFORE the ulp can generate the Gcode? In which case the Pour panel which has the choice data needs to be active BEFORE the ulp runs?

Craig

"
How'd you get that to run in Fusion? I installed it to the ULP folder and when I run it I get a blank pop up window. Using the latest version of Fusion on Win10."

I downloaded a fresh copy of the zipped pcb-gcode file direct from Autosoft and installed the entire (un-zipped) contents in the Documents/Fusion360/ulps file.

When running Fusion Electronics Design go to the 'Automate' tab, select the orange "RunULP' icon. Select the local directory (Documents) rather than the Temp folder to which
the cloud based ULPs are loaded to, by the drop down selection. Select pcb-gcode-setup and run.

[...]

Thanks Craig, I will give that a try again. I previously installed and posted about it not running but I think I may have been on the temp folder not documents. I will let you know the results and send any pics I have.

Regards,
Jon

On Wed, Jul 29, 2020, 8:47 PM joeaverage <joe.average@...> wrote:
Hi,

"
[...]

I have been experimenting trying to find a solution to the empty .etch files, to no avail as yet.

I have tried making a rectangular pour, both top and bottom sides, without any change, namely strangely
empty .etc files but complete and intact .drill and .mill files.

I presume that the ulp actually runs on the local PC. Only when the project is saved does it get saved to the cloud.
Thus the generated files (.drill, .mill,.top.etch and.bot.etch) get saved to a temporary file on the local hard drive
until or unless the contents of the file is uploaded to the cloud.
The path to the files is reasonably torturous:
C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\Temp\Neutron\ElectronFileOutput\2bc73b8b-e893-4770-9b65-71cfe347664d

The fact that the .drill and .mill files are present and correct after running pcb-gcode suggests that the ulp can navigate
to the required location and create/update the files there. Is it feasible that the potentially much larger .etch files
cannot be created/updated at the location above?

Rather than dig down to the location I would like to save the generated Gcode files in the Documents/Fusion360 file or a subfolder
of it. How would I go about modifying the file path in the setup page?

Craig

[...]

That's correct. The pour works like a ground plane pour, isolating itself from existing tracks by some increasing amount. The pour is then processed as polygonal line segments by pcb-gcode to generate the g-code movements for mechanical etching.
If the pour isn't happening, the whole process fails.

On Jul 29, 2020, 8:33 PM -0400, joeaverage <joe.average@...>, wrote:
Hi,

[...]

that comports well with what I see happening in EAGLE, namely a pour isolated by a small but increasing amount
with successive iterations.

The process does not (visually) appear the same in Fusion. I would guess that PCB-gcode calls for a pour and as a result Fusion
generates a panel with the appropriate data, isolation distance, thermals etc. My guess is the intention is that the panel should be populated
with your choices if different from the defaults and the panel OKed before the pour is calculated. The panels flash up that briefly that its
impossible to view or otherwise update it before the next successive panel appears.

I did try creating a ground pour in the original PCB artwork but that did not in itself allow pcb-gcode to work with regard to generating
compliant .etch files.

I also tried creating a .etch file with just a single pass hoping that the panel would exist long enough that I might view it, to no avail.

I have a subscription for Fusion, largely because of the CAD/CAM features but as it includes an unlimited (by comparison to the free
EAGLE offering) PCB design solution I am keen to get it to work. I am not a fan of subscription based software but when I compare the overall
value of the components offered as a single solution it does make sense and I overcame my aversion to a subscription.

Craig.

[...]

Pierre Hilson

Edited

Hello,

First message in this group. I spent hours reading your messages and this helped me to use pcb-gcode to laser etch pcb boards using a old and modified 3D printer.
Thank you for that. You made it possible.

Yesterday, looking at an Eagle problem with my son, we discovered that Fusion 360 was taking over PCB design.
Before investing too much time learning Eagle, we made the switch and I spent an evening trying to make pcb-gcode working again.

Here is what I did:
  1. Copied "C:\Users\p.hilson\Documents\EAGLE\ulps\pcb-gcode-2019" to "C:\Users\p.hilson\Documents\Fusion 360\ulps\pcb-gcode-2019"
  2. Launch the ULP pcb-gcode-setup.ulp:
    1. Click Automate / Run ULP
    2. Choose the right directory in the dropdown menu.
    3. Choose pcb-gcode-setup.ulp
    4. ERROR: ULP complained about some path not correct.
  3. Moved the content of "C:\Users\p.hilson\Documents\Fusion 360\ulps\pcb-gcode-2019" one directory up, straight into "C:\Users\p.hilson\Documents\Fusion 360\ulps"
  4. Launch the ULP pcb-gcode-setup.ulp:
    1. Click Automate / Run ULP
    2. Choose the right directory in the dropdown menu.
    3. Choose pcb-gcode-setup.ulp
    4. Checked the options and changed the output directory to "c:/Temp/pcb-gcode"
  5. Launch the ULP pcb-gcode.ulp:
    1. Click Automate / Run ULP
    2. Choose the right directory in the dropdown menu.
    3. Choose and launch pcb-gcode.ulp
    4. ERROR:
      C:/Users/p.hilson/Documents/Fusion 360/ulps/pcb-gcode.ulp(1494)
      polygons loop is deprecated. Use polyPours polyShapes polyCutouts instead.
I have tried different things to not avail. Before the error pops up, I see that the ULP draws a polygon outside of the limits of the board dimensions.
Maybe a problem with a label being outside of the board ?

Any help will be really appreciated.

Thank you,

Pierre

joeaverage

Hi,
I have used PCB-Gcode in EAGLE extensively for some years and daily for the last several months in the way
of work.

A while ago I bought a Fusion 360 subscription. I'm not a fan of subscription software but all the features of
Fusion 360 make it hard to refuse. One of the features that I wanted was that EAGLE, I had been using the free,
non-commercial (ahem!!!) version that would with a Fusion subscription become the Pro (un-restricted) version.

As it turns out not withstanding the new interface the Fusion 360 implementation of EAGLE is pretty good.

One thing which does not work is PCB-Gcode.

I found that PCB-Gcode would generate all the required files but the two most important, top.etch and
bot.etch, were empty....ie no Gcode? The .mill and .drill files are fine, so what gives?.

I started a support ticket with Autodesk, and to be fair to them they have responded well.

The bottom line, after several emails back and forth, was that Fusion does polygon pours rather differently
to the way EAGLE did it, so much so that PCB-Gcode no longer works. I am assured that the Fusion development team
is working to correct the ulp's such that they work with the new Fusion 360 version, but it has not happened yet.

There was one work-around using Fusion's Manufacture module that might work. I have been so busy I have not had the time
to investigate the process properly.

What I really, REALLY need is PCB-Gcode to work with Fusion, my workload demands it.

What I have been doing, and not without its shortcomings, is to Export an EAGLE .brd file and open that file in EAGLE and can thereafter
use PCB-Gcode as normal. That does mean however that you have no linked .sch file and that EAGLE Libraries are not necessarily
identical to Fusion Libraries.

If, like me you want to use Fusion 360 and want still to be able to use PCB-Gcode, then you need to start a support ticket with Autodesk.
Only when they get a repeated and increasing load of enquiries about the bug that prevents PCB-Gcode from working will they address
the resources necessary to fix it.

Craig

[...]

The space in your path could be a problem. I don't recall if I ever created a workaround for that (in "Fusion 360").
The larger issue is the last error that you got. This looks like they have changed the ulp language, causing pcb-gcode to break.
Probably the most expedient way to resolve the issue is to downgrade to Eagle for the time being.

On Aug 18, 2020, 2:13 AM -0400, zorglups.mailing@..., wrote:

[...]

Thank you all for your replies.

I spent some more hours tonight and here are my findings:

  1. "S.polygones(P) {" does not exist anymore and should be replaced with "S.polyPours(P) {"
    This makes the trick.
  2. To be consistent, I changed also "polygone %s %f (%f %f) (%f %f) (%f %f) (%f %f) (%f %f);\n" into "ppour %s %f (%f %f) (%f %f) (%f %f) (%f %f) (%f %f);\n"

The documentations of the old and new polygon objects are here:
http://web.mit.edu/xavid/arch/i386_rhel4/help/186.htm
http://help.autodesk.com/view/fusion360/ENU/?guid=ECD-ULP-POLYPOUR

I did not understand why the polygon was created with the signal name "_OUTLINES_".
The documentation explains that this does some tricks for milling.
See last line here: http://web.mit.edu/xavid/arch/i386_rhel4/help/71.htm

I did not find any reference of this in the Fusion 360 documentation.

Well... We are almost there...
The fact is that  This "_OUTLINES_" stuff does not seem to work in Fusion 360.

It does not connect to GND as it did in Eagle.

I took a simple board y son did (for his water rocket projects). The 4 vias in the corner are connected to GND.

Here after is my board in Eagle after the command:
polygon _OUTLINES_ 0.100000 (-1.288222 -2.936391) (63.653400 -2.936391) (63.653400 45.393666) (-1.288222 45.393666) (-1.288222 -2.936391);

Here after is my board in Fusion after the command:

Note: Sorry but the board is slightly different. Lets concentrate on the vias in the corner.
ppour _OUTLINES_ 0.100000 (-0.051000 -2.688975) (62.281000 -2.688975) (62.281000 44.963666) (-0.051000 44.963666) (-0.051000 -2.688975);

I did compare Eagle and Fusion 360 versions of the outlines.ulp and mill-outlines.ulp that one can find in the example directory.
The changes between the 2 are the ones I made in pcb-gcode.ulp

I tried those ulp but they exhibit the same problem. The GND does not get connected to the polygon.

Do you know the best way to report this problem to Autodesk ?

Note: mill-outlines.ulp seems to be close to pcb-gcode and seems maintained so it is worth having a look imho.

Best regards,

Pierre