From: pcbgcode@groups.io <pcbgcode@groups.io> On Behalf Of JBDynamics
Sent: Tuesday, August 11, 2020 8:52 AM
To: pcbgcode@groups.io
Subject: [pcbgcode] 2 layer board via connections #via #2-layer

So I know that professional PCB companies use brush plating to apply copper to the holes of vias to connect the layers. What are others using for via connections? I’ve heard of tiny brass rivets being used, but I don’t know what they are called or where to buy them. Also, if I were to buy a brush plating setup what does everyone recommend?

Jerry Lee Marcel

On Tue, Aug 11, 2020 at 06:00 PM, JBDynamics wrote:
So I know that professional PCB companies use brush plating to apply copper to the holes of vias to connect the layers. What are others using for via connections? I’ve heard of tiny brass rivets being used, but I don’t know what they are called or where to buy them.
https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/33011350830.html?src=google&albch=shopping&acnt=248-630-5778&isdl=y&slnk=&plac=&mtctp=&albbt=Gploogle_7_shopping&aff_atform=google&aff_short_key=UneMJZVf&gclsrc=aw.ds&&albagn=888888&&ds_e_adid=438856512841&ds_e_matchtype=&ds_e_device=c&ds_e_network=u&ds_e_product_group_id=743612850874&ds_e_product_id=fr33011350830&ds_e_product_merchant_id=108087487&ds_e_product_country=FR&ds_e_product_language=fr&ds_e_product_channel=online&ds_e_product_store_id=&ds_url_v=2&ds_dest_url=https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/33011350830.html?&albcp=10191220517&albag=107473525088&gclid=Cj0KCQjwg8n5BRCdARIsALxKb9750l5RDUGYnwVYNVMLQQRADl8nwWoRF0e86VrrwfHiK4HEAn6493EaAnVYEALw_wcB

Harvey White

I've used both wire stitching and rivets.

The rivets I got used something like a 0.050 hole (roughly).  Not only do they take up more space when used, you must be very careful when you use them.  Both top and bottom should be soldered to the foil carefully.  They cannot be placed under a chip unless it's a dip chip in a socket.

Using a wire jumper is a fair amount of work, but limits the possibility of bad solder joints.  The pc lands can be made smaller, as well.

I did toy with the idea of taking a piece of soft copper wire that would match the through hole size, swage the bottom and the top to make a solid rivet, then soldering both sides.  Never made that project.

I will note that registration between top and bottom layers becomes more critical as part density increases.

Harvey

On 8/11/2020 11:51 AM, JBDynamics wrote:
So I know that professional PCB companies use brush plating to apply copper to the holes of vias to connect the layers. What are others using for via connections? I’ve heard of tiny brass rivets being used, but I don’t know what they are called or where to buy them. Also, if I were to buy a brush plating setup what does everyone recommend?

John Ferguson

Hi Rich Obel.

What does Amazon call them?

john

On 8/11/20 12:04 PM, Rick Obel wrote:

I use tiny brass rivets – a huge timesaver compared to my original method of putting wire through the holes.  My rivets are 0.9mm diameter, and I get them on amazon (not always available).