Topics

2 layer board via connections #via #2-layer

JBDynamics

So I know that professional PCB companies use brush plating to apply copper to the holes of vias to connect the layers. What are others using for via connections? I’ve heard of tiny brass rivets being used, but I don’t know what they are called or where to buy them. Also, if I were to buy a brush plating setup what does everyone recommend?

Rick Obel

I use tiny brass rivets – a huge timesaver compared to my original method of putting wire through the holes.  My rivets are 0.9mm diameter, and I get them on amazon (not always available).

From: pcbgcode@groups.io <pcbgcode@groups.io> On Behalf Of JBDynamics
Sent: Tuesday, August 11, 2020 8:52 AM
To: pcbgcode@groups.io
Subject: [pcbgcode] 2 layer board via connections #via #2-layer

So I know that professional PCB companies use brush plating to apply copper to the holes of vias to connect the layers. What are others using for via connections? I’ve heard of tiny brass rivets being used, but I don’t know what they are called or where to buy them. Also, if I were to buy a brush plating setup what does everyone recommend?

Jerry Lee Marcel

On Tue, Aug 11, 2020 at 06:00 PM, JBDynamics wrote:
So I know that professional PCB companies use brush plating to apply copper to the holes of vias to connect the layers. What are others using for via connections? I’ve heard of tiny brass rivets being used, but I don’t know what they are called or where to buy them.
https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/33011350830.html?src=google&albch=shopping&acnt=248-630-5778&isdl=y&slnk=&plac=&mtctp=&albbt=Gploogle_7_shopping&aff_atform=google&aff_short_key=UneMJZVf&gclsrc=aw.ds&&albagn=888888&&ds_e_adid=438856512841&ds_e_matchtype=&ds_e_device=c&ds_e_network=u&ds_e_product_group_id=743612850874&ds_e_product_id=fr33011350830&ds_e_product_merchant_id=108087487&ds_e_product_country=FR&ds_e_product_language=fr&ds_e_product_channel=online&ds_e_product_store_id=&ds_url_v=2&ds_dest_url=https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/33011350830.html?&albcp=10191220517&albag=107473525088&gclid=Cj0KCQjwg8n5BRCdARIsALxKb9750l5RDUGYnwVYNVMLQQRADl8nwWoRF0e86VrrwfHiK4HEAn6493EaAnVYEALw_wcB

Harvey White

I've used both wire stitching and rivets.

The rivets I got used something like a 0.050 hole (roughly).  Not only do they take up more space when used, you must be very careful when you use them.  Both top and bottom should be soldered to the foil carefully.  They cannot be placed under a chip unless it's a dip chip in a socket.

Using a wire jumper is a fair amount of work, but limits the possibility of bad solder joints.  The pc lands can be made smaller, as well.

I did toy with the idea of taking a piece of soft copper wire that would match the through hole size, swage the bottom and the top to make a solid rivet, then soldering both sides.  Never made that project.

I will note that registration between top and bottom layers becomes more critical as part density increases.

Harvey

On 8/11/2020 11:51 AM, JBDynamics wrote:

John Ferguson

Hi Rich Obel.

What does Amazon call them?

john

On 8/11/20 12:04 PM, Rick Obel wrote:

I use tiny brass rivets – a huge timesaver compared to my original method of putting wire through the holes.  My rivets are 0.9mm diameter, and I get them on amazon (not always available).

Dan Evers

Given that I use a combination of SMD and through hole components: I always try to use a through hole component’s lead instead of a via to change trace planes. If that’s not possible then I use a via and 30AWG wire to connect them.  Also, if PCBs need plated through holes then it’s been cheaper/easier to contract that out to a fab facility.

I avoid the rivets because of the real-estate issue and, as you should solder them on both sides too, you’re not saving any time or effort w/ rivet.

Exception: Rivets are good for building old-school amplifier boards (not PCBs per se) where your doing solder-pool style of interconnections.

Best of luck.

On Aug 11, 2020, 9:00 AM -0700, JBDynamics <Jeremy@...>, wrote:

peterg1000

I use 1/32" brass rivets which fit nicely into a 0.9mm hole.  Heads are really small so they fit easily onto a 50 mil land. both top and bottom.

The most important thing when using these rivets is to ensure that they are free of tarnish and grease. A wash in IPA deals with the grease, followed by an overnight soak in "Clock Cleaning Solution" leaves them free of tarnish and really easy to solder, 

I insert all that are required from the component side and solder in position before inverting the board and clipping off the excess to leave about 20 mils for soldering.

Peter.

Hsin Cheng Lai

Ok

peterg1000 via groups.io <petergharrison@...> 於 2020年8月12日 05:02 寫道:

I use 1/32" brass rivets which fit nicely into a 0.9mm hole.  Heads are really small so they fit easily onto a 50 mil land. both top and bottom.

The most important thing when using these rivets is to ensure that they are free of tarnish and grease. A wash in IPA deals with the grease, followed by an overnight soak in "Clock Cleaning Solution" leaves them free of tarnish and really easy to solder, 

I insert all that are required from the component side and solder in position before inverting the board and clipping off the excess to leave about 20 mils for soldering.

Rick Obel

From: pcbgcode@groups.io <pcbgcode@groups.io> On Behalf Of John Ferguson via groups.io
Sent: Tuesday, August 11, 2020 11:03 AM
Subject: Re: [pcbgcode] 2 layer board via connections #via #2-layer

Hi Rich Obel.

What does Amazon call them?

john

On 8/11/20 12:04 PM, Rick Obel wrote:

peterg1000

Hi Rick,

EXACTLY what I need - been looking for something like this for years.

Thanks for the link - now to try and find a supplier in UK or Europe.

Peter

MC Briers

On Wed, Aug 12, 2020 at 9:44 AM peterg1000 via groups.io <petergharrison=btinternet.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi Rick,

EXACTLY what I need - been looking for something like this for years.

Thanks for the link - now to try and find a supplier in UK or Europe.

Peter

Jan Olsfors

peterg1000

Edited

MC,
Thanks so much for the UK Amazon link - actually seem to have a choice of sub millimeter sizes.    BRILLIANT!!

Jan, 
You tube clip has opened my eyes - wonder where I can get one of those riveting machines.  Many thanks

Cheers both

Peter

PS  I've just found the source of the riveting machines - eye watering price!!  Company also sells rivets - several minute sizes

Brian Palmer

I found some on amazon. Search for "Metal Elements Copper Hollow Rivet Double-sided circuit board PCB vias”

Brian

mh1492

Here's some,
https://model-motorcars.myshopify.com/collections/small-parts-hardware

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

John Ferguson

Wow, and in Florida too.  thanks much. john

On 8/12/20 7:51 PM, mh1492 via groups.io wrote:
Here's some,
https://model-motorcars.myshopify.com/collections/small-parts-hardware

JBDynamics

Thanks for the information, the board I need to prototype is not size constrained, and I can avoid vias underneath chips so the rivets should work for me.