Topics

how do I get holes cut in board? #eagle #pcbgcode #mill

John Ferguson

I'm having great success with Eagle 9.2.2. I make small boards for through-hole components and, so far have been able to get everything on a single layer without jumpers but next project will require them.

I do an outline on the Milling layer and the router4 cuts out the board.

I have NOT been able to get a 1/4 inch hole recognized and cut however.  It doesn't get picked up by PCB-GCODE and doesn't get cut.  I use the Circle command in Draw to make the hole. I've put it on the milling layer and alternatively on the Dimensions layer, but no-joy.

It possible that I don't have Eagle set up right?

What would you look at if this was your problem?

john

Ken McNabb

John,

I experienced a similar problem in EAGLE 7.7 as well. From what I can find is that the milling layer does not recognise holes as routing paths.
Something I haven't tried yet is the make to hole with two 180 degree arcs. I suspect this will work from my experience with arcs on other boards.

Ken

John Ferguson

Thanks much. great idea. i'll try it.

john

On 1/16/19 5:46 PM, Ken McNabb wrote:
John,

I experienced a similar problem in EAGLE 7.7 as well. From what I can find is that the milling layer does not recognise holes as routing paths.
Something I haven't tried yet is the make to hole with two 180 degree arcs. I suspect this will work from my experience with arcs on other boards.

Ken

peterg1000

John,

Just tested the "arc theory" and can confirm that milling layers contain the necessary GCODE.

Of course due allowance will be needed to allow for tool diameter, and the GCODE will need to be edited to set correct cutting depths for multiple passes.  Personally I set this to 0.3mm when using a 3mm diameter tool and normally set the lowest cut to 0.1mm below the bottom surface.

Peter

John Ferguson

Hi Peter,

Thank you for your note.  The hole in question is to pass power leads up through the board from a 9 volt battery to be mounted beneath.  so diameter isn't critical. I've been trying to reduce the amopunt of editing the g-code requires but one problem continues.

I like to use the etching bit to prick the pads .011 inch the better to center the drills later.  I set the prick depth to .011 and the drill depth to .075, but what happens is the pricks get run to .075.  So I have to edit them in the G-Code.

This seems buggy to me.

best,

john