Topics

getting ".gcode" from eagle to cnc plotter #eagle #pcbgcode #gcode

ticaret.etudu@...

hi everyone
i'm new at both pcb design and getting print it out. I have a mini cnc plotter to use for printing the layout of pcb design. I have seen videos on youtube guys doing the printing job. But my question is "isnt there any way to get .gcode (not .nc code) from Eagle ? ". As far as i see they all make it via InkSpace and some other programs and make it for milling CNCs.
I'm stuck here.
Glad you being helped and Thanks :)

Art Eckstein

If I am reading your statement correctly, the file your outputting is fine.
Gcode files are a clear text file and can have any extension.  If your using the pcb-gcode.ulp to generate the code, there is an entry to tell it what extension you want for your file output. You can make it anything you want.  For the existing files, just rename them to your desired extension.

Country Bubba

At 8/9/2018 03:11 AM, ticaret.etudu@... wrote:
hi everyone
i'm new at both pcb design and getting print it out. I have a mini cnc plotter to use for printing the layout of pcb design. I have seen videos on youtube guys doing the printing job. But my question is "isnt there any way to get .gcode (not .nc code) from Eagle ? ". As far as i see they all make it via InkSpace and some other programs and make it for milling CNCs.
I'm stuck here.
Glad you being helped and Thanks

Vaughn

Hi still new also and had gthe same problem.

Was given this: its called PCB-GCODE and downloadable from here:

Its another programme that runs in Eagle, once you have made and tested your schematic. This then converts the schematic to gcode and gives a number of files that run in most cnc machines.

I and a few friends use the *,tap files for our machines.

Hope this helps Vaughn

--
M0VLK
2E0EDN

ticaret.etudu@...

thanks
But even if I did the change of file extension i get some printing errors, something irrelevant. Printing crashes at somewhere and I cannot fix it(for example it says unknown code or the plotter gets crazy)
what should i do ?
and what about .hpgl and .plt files ?

ticaret.etudu@...

I'm asking for just being clear about it. I'm using ink CNC plotter(pen holding machine). You mean kind of machine like mine or the milling one ?
Thanks

Vaughn

I use a mill but if you set pcbgcode up so the depth of cut is 0, then instead of trying to cut it should just touch paper and draw.

As I say very ne to this too so just thinking out laud.

Im sure others will have a better solution

Vaughn

On Thu, 9 Aug 2018 at 12:59, <ticaret.etudu@...> wrote:
I'm asking for just being clear about it. I'm using ink CNC plotter(pen holding machine). You mean kind of machine like mine or the milling one ?
Thanks

--
M0VLK
2E0EDN
M6HJZ 73 to all

Vaughn

I use a mill but if you set pcbgcode up so the depth of cut is 0, then instead of trying to cut it should just touch paper and draw.

As I say very ne to this too so just thinking out laud.

Im sure others will have a better solution

Vaughn

Art Eckstein

The pcb-gcode ulp addin to Eagle is designed to generate gcodes to "etch" the trace outlines on a milling machine or router that has a controller using gcodes. As noted in another message, Mach is a popular controller that is used by many. There are several others that will also work.
It (pcb-gcode) is NOT designed to be used on a pen plotter. What you are describing is a "printing" operation and you will need to configure your system with the proper driver files (configuration) so it will plot the desired output. The output files you describe (.plt or .hpgl) are files formatted for a plotter. It has been many years since I have used either of those formats and to be honest have forgotten how to get them to plot:{(

HTH
Country

At 8/9/2018 07:10 AM, ticaret.etudu@... wrote:
I'm asking for just being clear about it. I'm using ink CNC plotter(pen holding machine). You mean kind of machine like mine or the milling one ?
Thanks

ticaret.etudu@...

Edited

thanks
so you mean that in a way(a forbidden way), we can print our pcb design on a paper from .hpgl and .ptl files by a CNC plotter(pen holding CNC) ?

Art Eckstein

Yes, sure can and this is the way it is/was done to make transparencies for making resist patterns on the pcb or to do the toner transfer method of laying down resist on the raw pcb.

Nothing forbidden about it. Just a different way to get to the end result.

Country

At 8/9/2018 09:12 AM, ticaret.etudu@... wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]
thanks
so you mean that in a way(a forbidden way), we can print our pcb design on a paper from .hpgl and .ptl files by a CNC plotter(pen holding CNC) ?

ticaret.etudu@...

is it the way the ironing and acide get place at pcb ?
should I use the .hpgl file(the gcode file) for printing directly for plotter pcb printing? (by processing gcode sender, other ones)
thanks

Art Eckstein

Yes, toner transfer is done using an iron and an acid etching solution.

Exactly what is the make and model of the machine that your trying to plot to??  Then maybe we can arrive at a good solution.

Country

At 8/9/2018 09:38 AM, ticaret.etudu@... wrote:
is it the way the ironing and acide get place at pcb ?
should I use the .hpgl file(the gcode file) for printing directly for plotter pcb printing? (by processing gcode sender, other ones)
thanks

ticaret.etudu@...

my plotter is kind of these two (xy flatbed plotter)
and sorry for late replying

Art Eckstein

Ok, now that I understand that we are not dealing with a "commercial" plotter, we need to know what controller your using to drive the plotter and the software behind it.  Different combinations will require different solutions.

For instance, are you using and Ardunio, raspberry Pi, or what for the controller hardware?
Then what software are you running on it such as grbl, Easy Street Draw; or what??

We need this info to nail down the command set you need to use for getting meaningful output results.

Country Bubba

 At 8/10/2018 02:41 AM, ticaret.etudu@... wrote:

my plotter is kind of these two (xy flatbed plotter)
and sorry for late replying

Attachments:

ticaret.etudu@...

An arduino uno and for the controlling I use  processing program

Art Eckstein

Which "processing program"??

Need to know what it wants to be fed.

Country

At 8/10/2018 08:33 AM, ticaret.etudu@... wrote:
An arduino uno and for the controlling I use processing program

ticaret.etudu@...

Edited

This one  https://processing.org/download/
For Windows 64bit
And I send  Gcode files(with .Gcode extension from Inkspace, I was exporting my pcb layout as an image and converting it in Inkspace to gcode) but i heard that eagle can make gcode for plotters and couldnt find its way

Art Eckstein

OK, have been away from the house most of the afternoon, but will look into it this evening and get back to you.

Country

At 8/10/2018 02:01 PM, ticaret.etudu@... wrote:
This one  https://processing.org/download/
For wimWind 64bit

ticaret.etudu@...

Ok waiting for it

Art Eckstein

I spent a while looking at the site you linked to and have come to the conclusion that it is a programing language system.

Pcb-gcode is designed only to output gcode and as such is not compatible with your system. I do not know how to covert gcode to your input requirements either.

Sorry for the bad news.

You will need a controller like Mach3/4, Linuxcnc, Turbocnc, Grbl, etc.
The first three are computer based, and Grbl is Ardinuo based.

Country

At 8/11/2018 08:11 AM, ticaret.etudu@... wrote:
Ok waiting for it