Topics

cutting plexiglass #mill

Jack Kennedy

I am very familiar with Eagle going clear back to 4.09..I want to use Eagle to make design in .sch for plexiglass cutting and then somehow make Gcode from that..Should I use symbol for the lines/circles, or should i use signals and then do it all in .brd ??????
maybe pcbgcode is not the right thing to use for plexiglass etching..?? can anyone give me some direction please..thanks for any help..

John Johnson

If you draw tracks, pcb-gcode will generate gcode to outline those tracks.
If you draw lines on the Milling layer, pcb-gcode will generate gcode to cut down the center of those lines.
So the way you want your artwork to appear would determine which layer you draw on.
Whether pcbgcode is the right tool for the job is another question :-)

On Aug 7, 2018, 12:59 PM -0400, watchman911@..., wrote:
I am very familiar with Eagle going clear back to 4.09..I want to use Eagle to make design in .sch for plexiglass cutting and then somehow make Gcode from that..Should I use symbol for the lines/circles, or should i use signals and then do it all in .brd ??????
maybe pcbgcode is not the right thing to use for plexiglass etching..?? can anyone give me some direction please..thanks for any help..

Rick Obel

I will be interested in this, too.  If Eagle cannot be used for this purpose, perhaps Fusion3D can, even though it is only 2D?  I intend to explore that and will report any success.

From: pcbgcode@groups.io [mailto:pcbgcode@groups.io] On Behalf Of watchman911@...
Sent: Tuesday, August 07, 2018 9:44 AM
To: pcbgcode@groups.io
Subject: [pcbgcode] cutting plexiglass #mill

Jack Kennedy

thankyou.. for the info on how to use layers..looks like this should work perfect..thankyou

spinnaker

You might be better to use something like Drafsight then use Cambam to convert to gcode.   Cambam is not free but has a number of trail tries.

Bernardc

As agree, CAMBAM is the best tool to make etching. You can import DXF or draw directly your sketch. To test you can use the free version, limited but really usefull. Have a look on CAMBAM site

Bernard

De : pcbgcode@groups.io [mailto:pcbgcode@groups.io] De la part de spinnaker
Envoyé : mardi 7 août 2018 21:50
À : pcbgcode@groups.io
Objet : Re: [pcbgcode] cutting plexiglass #mill

You might be better to use something like Drafsight then use Cambam to convert to gcode.   Cambam is not free but has a number of trail tries.

sdmonaco

Hi Watchman,

I have been making plastic panels and cases using eagle and pcbgcode for several years now.  I have created some gcode post processing software which makes it easier and greatly improves the quality of your resulting panels.  The two routines are called mpass.exe and cscale.exe.  Pcbgcode normally does all board cutting specified by the mill layer in a single pass at the depth specified in setup.  Mpass simply converts this gcode to a multi pass operation.  You specify total cut depth and cut depth/pass and it generates the gcode.  My copy of eagle also limits my maximum board size to 4x6 inches.  The cscale routine takes the gcode file produced by pcbgcode and scales all cut geometry by the scale factor specified.  So when I need to make a 12x4 inch panel I draw it 6x2 inches in eagle then run it through cscale with a scale factor of 2 which produces the correct panel size. I then run it through mpass to produce a gcode file which does the panel cutout in about 4 or 5 passes depending on the material I am cutting.   I uploaded both routines to the old yahoo drive but I have not checked to see if they were ported over to groups.io.   Let me know if you need a copy and I will upload them again.  

Sam

Jack Kennedy

thats good stuff Sam-- I am just starting to git a grip on Gcode and especially Z axis control so what u have sounds great..
my mini-mill is grbl arduino driven and my Eagle free-edition 9.1 is running on Ubuntu 18.04...I just downloaded Eagle 9.1.0 free edition and am amazed it says working area is 80cm x 80cm..whats that 2 1/2 feet on a side..!!!!

On Wed, Aug 8, 2018 at 1:29 PM, sdmonaco via Groups.Io <sdmonaco@...> wrote:
Hi Watchman,

I have been making plastic panels and cases using eagle and pcbgcode for several years now.  I have created some gcode post processing software which makes it easier and greatly improves the quality of your resulting panels.  The two routines are called mpass.exe and cscale.exe.  Pcbgcode normally does all board cutting specified by the mill layer in a single pass at the depth specified in setup.  Mpass simply converts this gcode to a multi pass operation.  You specify total cut depth and cut depth/pass and it generates the gcode.  My copy of eagle also limits my maximum board size to 4x6 inches.  The cscale routine takes the gcode file produced by pcbgcode and scales all cut geometry by the scale factor specified.  So when I need to make a 12x4 inch panel I draw it 6x2 inches in eagle then run it through cscale with a scale factor of 2 which produces the correct panel size. I then run it through mpass to produce a gcode file which does the panel cutout in about 4 or 5 passes depending on the material I am cutting.   I uploaded both routines to the old yahoo drive but I have not checked to see if they were ported over to groups.io.   Let me know if you need a copy and I will upload them again.  

Sam

sdmonaco

Hi Jack,

I have a paid license for Eagle 6 that I use.  It has the board size limitation.  I have attached a photo of one of my projects I did a while back.  I used the mill layer for cutting and  layer 1 for scoring.  The drilling was done by hand afterward using pcb hole spotting to mark the locations.  I did this because the mounting holes were larger than my largest pcb drill bit.  Sam

Jack Kennedy

looks good.. thats much like what I am trying to achieve..
I simply want to pilot-hole define where the drill holes are, then go back by hand and drill them up to size..
my licensed eagle is old..4.09 32bit complete with autorouter, but i am blown away with the free download 9.1.0.. it apparently does 2 sides, 80cm2, and is all there..i havent used it all the way thru cam so maybe there's a block somewhere..if not, i am truely amazed..someone please correct me if i'm wrong..

On Wed, Aug 8, 2018 at 2:45 PM, sdmonaco via Groups.Io <sdmonaco@...> wrote:
Hi Jack,

I have a paid license for Eagle 6 that I use.  It has the board size limitation.  I have attached a photo of one of my projects I did a while back.  I used the mill layer for cutting and  layer 1 for scoring.  The drilling was done by hand afterward using pcb hole spotting to mark the locations.  I did this because the mounting holes were larger than my largest pcb drill bit.  Sam

Attachments:

peterg1000

Eagle 9.x free edition limits board size to 80 square cms - i.e 10cm by 8cm. Not unfortunately 80cm x 80cm!!

Board outlines I mill by making the outline larger than required by 1/2 the end mill diameter.  Replicate the milling gcode for each complete pass, increasing the Z parameter by a small amount (say 0.25mm) for each pass up to the board thickness or just beyond. This will just free the board and barely mark the sacrificial base board.

Jack Kennedy

Thankyou for the correction..it seemed too good to be true..80 x 80 cm.. and apparently it is..
still 10cm x 8cm is nothing to sneeze at.. the mill job i am trying to get working is 5in x 5 1/2in.. so apparently it falls withing the limits.. call me happy-go-lucky..

On Wed, Aug 8, 2018 at 3:29 PM, peterg1000 via Groups.Io <petergharrison@...> wrote:
Eagle 9.x free edition limits board size to 80 square cms - i.e 10cm by 8cm. Not unfortunately 80cm x 80cm!!

Board outlines I mill by making the outline larger than required by 1/2 the end mill diameter.  Replicate the milling gcode for each complete pass, increasing the Z parameter by a small amount (say 0.25mm) for each pass up to the board thickness or just beyond. This will just free the board and barely mark the sacrificial base board.

Jack Kennedy

I drew lines on layer 46 hoping pcbgcode.ulp would see them and generate Gcode, but no joy..
pcbgcode generated 2 files (attached)..
i have a laseraxe mini mill with the latest grbl --dont remember the version i can find out if needed..
no worky worky

Jack Kennedy

when pcbgcode.ulp opens up on eagle 9.1.0, its size top-to-bottom is larger than my display, cutting off the buttons at the bottom.. very problematic.. by mousing the right edge i can get it to slightly resize a little smaller and then i can access the accept/make board controls.. is there a place where i can edit a file to work around this??
thanks in advance for any help..

On Thu, Aug 9, 2018 at 12:00 PM, Jack Kennedy <watchman911@...> wrote:
I drew lines on layer 46 hoping pcbgcode.ulp would see them and generate Gcode, but no joy..
i have a laseraxe mini mill with the latest grbl --dont remember the version i can find out if needed..
no worky worky

Vaughn

Files given look just like I kept getting til I downgraded to eagle-pcb V7.7

Hope you can get an answer so I too can upgrade.

Bes of luck Vaughn

Jack Kennedy

I dont see anywhere where pcbgcode can select mill layer 46.. both top and bottom copper layers are selectable, and apparently the board dimension layer, but no mill layer to checkbox..
I noticed the viewer comes up empty (solid black) which technically is correct, as I have no copper top or bottom.. I am simply trying to mill a piece of plexiglass per the mill layer..
the viewer comes up with top layer by default apparently..no selection there for layer46

On Thu, Aug 9, 2018 at 12:38 PM, Vaughn Lucock <vlkteach@...> wrote:
Files given look just like I kept getting til I downgraded to eagle-pcb V7.7

Hope you can get an answer so I too can upgrade.

Bes of luck Vaughn

Vaughn

free version of eagle only allows a few layers, may be thats the problem.

also need to set tracks as nets, i think, and width of track or nothing works.

I tried to take short cuts but in the end followed the help files and then moved from there

hope this helps some Vaughn

Jack Kennedy

I was able to export a DXF file.. then I used dxf2gcode to generate gcode..
Id like to avoid using dxf2gcode, but its nice to see the mill working..

On Thu, Aug 9, 2018 at 1:03 PM, Vaughn Lucock <vlkteach@...> wrote:
free version of eagle only allows a few layers, may be thats the problem.

also need to set tracks as nets, i think, and width of track or nothing works.

I tried to take short cuts but in the end followed the help files and then moved from there

hope this helps some Vaughn

Art Eckstein

Jack,
Did you tell the ulp to generate "Outline" files. That is where the milling comes in. And just to be sure, when you said you put "lines" on layer 46, the was done using "wire"?

Country Bubba

At 8/9/2018 01:00 PM, Jack Kennedy wrote:
no worky worky

Jack Kennedy

yes to both.. i checked.. 

On Thu, Aug 9, 2018 at 2:05 PM, Art Eckstein <art.eckstein@...> wrote:
Jack,
Did you tell the ulp to generate "Outline" files.  That is where the milling comes in.  And just to be sure, when you said you put "lines" on layer 46, the was done using "wire"?

Country Bubba

At 8/9/2018 01:00 PM, Jack Kennedy wrote:
no worky worky