Topics

Newbie startup problem #gcode

RYERSON@...

I am struggling to get PCB Gcode up and running. I think I am close.

When I run PCBGcode.ulp from eagle ULP icon I get a message:

Unable to open the include file "source/pcb-gcode.h"   or I would put the file there.

I cant even find a source folder -- but it may just be my high level of frustration.....

Aaargh

Rye

Art Eckstein

Rye,
Welcome aboard and we will try to help you out.

When you downloaded the pcb-gcode zip file, you put it some place on your hard drive I will assume it is in your download folder. You then had to unzip this someplace??  The someplace is your source files.

Under your "someplace" there is a folder that is called docs and in there is a file called 'pcbgcode.pdf'.  This is your basic insutruction manual for this system.

Now having said that one of the first things you have to do is to open the Eagle control panel and then go to 'options' and 'Directories'  under this you have to give the full path to the source files in the 'User Language Programs' section.

In my case, it looks like this:
I:\eagle\pcb-gcode\pcb-gcode-3.6.2.4-art;$EAGLEDIR\ulp

Note: this is the full path to the version that I am using followed by a ';' and the original path to the default information provided by eagle.  Origionally, way back when, it was required that the pcbgcode path was the first one on the line, but I am not sure about that now.

Obviously, your path will be different than mine, but hopfully you get the idea.
I agree, you should be close, so let us know how it works out.

At 05:42 PM 6/10/2018, RYERSON@... wrote:
I am struggling to get PCB Gcode up and running. I think I am close.

When I run PCBGcode.ulp from eagle ULP icon I get a message:

Unable to open the include file "source/pcb-gcode.h"   or I would put the file there.

I cant even find a source folder -- but it may just be my high level of frustration.....

Aaargh

Rye

RYERSON@...

Hey Art;

Thanks for your clearly written instructions--you have a gift.   I will implement them later this morning and let you know how I come out.

As for your nickname, I am in tennessee (retired from DC) and I am taking lessons in how to speak country. It's hard, but I'm gittin there.

cheers
Rye

RYERSON@...

Hi Art;
I dont know if I am making progress or not.  If I understand you email instructions correctly the user language directory item should contain directory link tp both the Eagle ULPs and another link to the PCBGcode ULPs.  Since my gcode stuff is in the Eagle directory, here is what I have  C:\EAGLE 901\PCB-Gcode-Wizard;c:\EAGLE 901\ulp

Now if I go to the Eagle ULP icon and click on PCBGcode item I get the message  "\

c:/EAGLE 901/pcb-gcode.ulp(10):
Unable to open the include file "source/pcb-gcode.h"

I cant even find a file named pcb-gcode in either of the directories....

Any thoughts?

Art Eckstein

Rye,
The first thing that stands out to me is the "Wizard" in your path.  The files that are included in the original pcbgcode files do not include "wizard" in them. There is a seperate site that is PCB-Gcode-Wizard!  I cannot respond to his files. but if you go to the files section of this group:

https://groups.io/g/pcbgcode/files/2Software

and then the line where to download the files:

pcb-gcode 3.6.2.4 -- where to download

This will give a link to the specified files.

Download it and follow the directions.

I "THINK" ( and thats dangerous) that you may not have the proper files.

Let me know,

Bubba

At 06:01 PM 6/11/2018, RYERSON@... wrote:
Hi Art;
I dont know if I am making progress or not.  If I understand you email instructions correctly the user language directory item should contain directory link tp both the Eagle ULPs and another link to the PCBGcode ULPs.  Since my gcode stuff is in the Eagle directory, here is what I have  C:\EAGLE 901\PCB-Gcode-Wizard;c:\EAGLE 901\ulp

Now if I go to the Eagle ULP icon and click on PCBGcode item I get the message  "\

c:/EAGLE 901/pcb-gcode.ulp(10):
Unable to open the include file "source/pcb-gcode.h"

I cant even find a file named pcb-gcode in either of the directories....

Any thoughts?

Bruce Gennette

Rye,
If you are using Windows in its 'out-of-the-box' form there are all sorts of 'authentication' blockages in place, obstensively to prevent ordinary 'users' from messing up Micro$oft's Kontrol of your system.

Your choices are - 1) turn off all the authentication checking [dangerous for non-techies]  2) put the files in the place Micro$oft wants 'unknown' 'user' stuff [the instructions are in the user doc for pcb-gcode]

bye.

Mailtrack Sender notified by
Mailtrack 06/12/18, 11:22:05 AM

On 12 June 2018 at 08:32, Art Eckstein <art.eckstein@...> wrote:
[...]

I remain totally confused.  I am 75 and used to be a programming wizard, but time and technical progress have left me by the side of the road.

A number of things are confusing me;

  • What does $EAGLEDIR mean?  I assume it is some kind of path shorthand, but where does it point and what established it:
  • The PDF example uses forwards slashes ( / ) where the program uses back slashes ( \ ) and it uses colons in place of semi colons for separators.  I am assuming that backslashes and semicolons are correct.
  • What directories should Eagle and PCB Gcode be stored in?  The fact that WIN10 has a documents file in both onedrive\favorites and C:users makes me crazy

Maybe I should just start over...............

Art Eckstein

OK, we are both in the same boat as far as age goes, and I agree with each passing day, things get more confusing for a lot of this stuff.  Having said that, I well offer my .02 worth in response to your questions.

What does $EAGLEDIR mean?  This is an entry made by eagle to indicate its default directory path for that feature. In my case, this will be "C:\Program Files (x86)\Eagle-6.1.0"

The PDF example uses forwards slashes ( / ) where the program uses back slashes ( \ ) and it uses colons in place of semi colons for separators.  I am assuming that backslashes and semicolons are correct.
I believe you are correct .

What directories should Eagle and PCB Gcode be stored in?  The fact that WIN10 has a documents file in both onedrive\favorites and C:users makes me crazy

First off, I cannot respond to Win10 specifically as I (fortunately) do use it.  For installation of Eagle itself, I allow it by default to go to the C:\Program Files (x86)" for those files themselves.  Do to restrictions made by later versions of windows, you cannot reasonably store (write) data files in the "program files" area.  Therefore you need to put them in an un-restricted directory.  This can be in the users area or another area as designated by you and duly noted in the options area of Eagle.  In my case, I use a combination of the users area for normal Eagle common functions, but all my pcb-gcode files are on a separate drive. This was done back when the program was being updated on a somewhat regular basis and I could simply add a new directory for the unzipped version.  My pcbs and related info are stored in a separate directory with
sub folders dictated by project name. This keeps the project together and not mixed in with all other "stuff"

Hope this helps.

Country

At 07:32 AM 6/13/2018, RYERSON@... wrote:

I remain totally confused.  I am 75 and used to be a programming wizard, but time and technical progress have left me by the side of the road.

A number of things are confusing me;

  • What does $EAGLEDIR mean?  I assume it is some kind of path shorthand, but where does it point and what established it:
  • The PDF example uses forwards slashes ( / ) where the program uses back slashes ( \ ) and it uses colons in place of semi colons for separators.  I am assuming that backslashes and semicolons are correct.
  • What directories should Eagle and PCB Gcode be stored in?  The fact that WIN10 has a documents file in both onedrive\favorites and C:users makes me crazy

Maybe I should just start over...............

jeff.birt

>>The fact that WIN10 has a documents file in both onedrive\favorites and C:users makes me crazy

I’m not sure why this drives you crazy. OneDrive works just like another hard drive with some auto-syncing goodness built in. I suspect MS just tried to populate OneDrive with some familiar folder names, but I don’t think most of them are required. I do have my phone set up to upload to OneDrive so that folder name is important, but other than that I don’t think it is.

It interests me in a way that some folks dislike Windows 10. I have not found it much different that Windows 7 other than a slightly obtuse way they seem to hide some things (it seems harder to get to things like device manager, etc. by navigation but using the search bar works.). In fairness I suspect Joe Average user does not know what all these ‘power user’ things are and keeping them away from them is probably a good idea.

The automatic update thing is annoying as when I set up a machine for CNC control I want to make updates a manual process. This used to mean just using Win10 Pro over home but the latest install I did now only has a ‘delay for 35 days’ setting, not a manual update only. So, now for some more research on register hacks to fix this. Again, I realize that Joe Average needs to have the machine auto-update as the potential bad side effects of not updating are worse.

I think for use CNC guys this will eventually mean setting up a special ‘lite’ or Windows Embedded build on the CNC control PC. Linux gives one about a billion ways to shoot yourself in your foot if you don’t know what your doing. I recently set up a Raspberry Pi with a standard Pi-Raspbian build, including the desktop gui (have others that are all headless). You can’t even create a desktop shortcut without manually creating a text file.  What are the odds of Joe Average doing that?

Just pontificating not trying to start a OS religious war.

Jeff

[...]

keith3125

Allow me to introduce another scenario with Windows 10 I found way more bothersome,Jeff. Try a weeks worth of 3D CAD in Rhino, machine left on overnight to find an otherwise 'saved' file wiped by the auto-update.
And some of the ridiculous little, supposed niceties, for the soccer mom users, can be infuriating when you're actually trying to do something not involving a Facebook post.

Don't get me started on Eagle CAD revisions. Someone really ruined a perfectly good layout program.

On Wednesday, June 13, 2018, 10:04:12 AM EDT, jeff.birt <birt_j@...> wrote:

> [...]

Hope this helps.

Country

At 07:32 AM 6/13/2018, RYERSON@... wrote:

I remain totally confused.  I am 75 and used to be a programming wizard, but time and technical progress have left me by the side of the road.

A number of things are confusing me;

  • What does $EAGLEDIR mean?  I assume it is some kind of path shorthand, but where does it point and what established it:
  • The PDF example uses forwards slashes ( / ) where the program uses back slashes ( \ ) and it uses colons in place of semi colons for separators.  I am assuming that backslashes and semicolons are correct.
  • What directories should Eagle and PCB Gcode be stored in?  The fact that WIN10 has a documents file in both onedrive\favorites and C:users makes me crazy

Maybe I should just start over...............

Phillip Vogel

The $EAGLEDIR thing and the forward vs back slashes are artifacts of Unix/Linux. Windows uses back slashes, and $EAGLEDIR refers to the directory (folder) where eagle is installed.

I'm 64 and it is tough to keep up. I used to write rather complex machine control programs in ZIP assembly language. Today, I use C# and Arduino.

Phillip Vogel

That was Z-80 assembly code. Friggin’ spell checker.