From: Dan Andersson dan@... [pcb-gcode] ;
To: ;
Subject: Re: [pcb-gcode] X Axis Origin Shift During Milling
Sent: Sun, Jul 6, 2014 11:41:14 PM

Might be simpler than you think...

Check your grub screws on the couplings!

Next is to check the power supply, not with a DVM. Usae an oscilloscpope!

//Dan, M0DFI

On 06 Jul 2014 16:03:56 -0700
"sdmonaco@... [pcb-gcode]" wrote:

> Hi guys,
>

> I have an problem with my x-axis shifting (always the same direction) during a board milling operation. It only happens occasionally (about 1 out of 10 board designs). I have documented the latest occurrence with the pcb-gcode preview window shown in the file Hybrid_RBE_Bot_Etch.bmp and the resulting milled pcbs shown in the file PCB Fab Error.jpg. The GCode was verified using NC Corrector prior to doing the etch milling operation. I am using a Probotix V90 mill with Mach 3 control software. I have never heard any skipping steps during the milling when the problem occurs . When I stop the job and issue a G00 X0 Y0 the mill goes to the incorrect x-axis position. I have never seen the problem in the y-axis. Anyone else ever seen this issue?
>

> Thanks,
>

> Sam

Dan Andersson

Gents!

Look for the simple causes for fault first!

Most faults are mechanical, loose grub screws and worn parts.

Secondly, look at the power supplues.

//Dan, M0DFI

On Sun, 6 Jul 2014 19:46:56 -0700
"'rymaeda@...' rymaeda@... [pcb-gcode]" <pcb-gcode@...> wrote:

Hi!

Just after I installed one autoleveller probe my router became to lost a lot of steps caused by EMI introduced by probe wires. Maybe your problems can be of same nature.

So after the probing I detache all probe apparatus from the controll box.

Regards!

Ricardo Yoshio Maeda

sdmonaco

Hi Dan,

You are correct, most problems are due to simple mechanical issues but unfortunately this one was not mechanical.  The problem turned out to be with Mach 3.  Like most everyone else, I use a USB drive to port my etch and mill files over to my CNC computer.  The problem was instead of copying the files to my hard drive I loaded them into Mach 3 directly from the USB drive.  Mach 3 appears to have an intermittant problem with resetting the origin when running directly off the USB drive.  When I copied the exact same files to the computer hard drive and ran them again today they etched and milled flawlessly!  Thanks everyone for the great suggestions and help!

Sam

CNC 6-axis Deisgns

This is not a Mach3 problem, as such.
Using directly from USB is specifically known NOT to work, and against the rules.

The gcode files are and need to be memory mapped, and this wont work reliably from a USB drive.
Its probably not as well documented as it should be.

--
-hanermo (cnc designs)

Ashraf Gerges

I have the same problem with Chinese board TB6560, when I do engrave jobs with high RPM the X axis at the end of the job lose about 1mm of it's zero position, I noticed 2 factors increase this annoying phenomena:
1- the high RPM frequency of the VFD (working with low RPM give better result)
2- the many up and down moves of the X axis..

I put some RF filters but the enhancement was so tiny..

I even removed the spindle cable out of the cable carrier to prevent any frequency interfere with the stepper cables but no way!

I wonder if the users who use wood routers instead of VFD spindle have the same problem?

On Tuesday, 8 July 2014, 7:10, "Hannu Venermo gcode.fi@... [pcb-gcode]" wrote:

This is not a Mach3 problem, as such.
Using directly from USB is specifically known NOT to work, and against
the rules.

The gcode files are and need to be memory mapped, and this wont work
reliably from a USB drive.
Its probably not as well documented as it should be.

On 07/07/2014 23:53, sdmonaco@... [pcb-gcode] wrote:
> Mach 3 appears to have an intermittant problem with resetting the
> origin when running directly off the USB drive

--
-hanermo (cnc designs)

C. Alastair Seggie <alastairseggie@...>

Ashsraf

this is not perhaps lost steps Due to running the drive to fast not enough current to the steppers etc?

Regards
Alastair

I have the same problem with Chinese board TB6560, when I do engrave jobs with high RPM the X axis at the end of the job lose about 1mm of it's zero position, I noticed 2 factors increase this annoying phenomena:
1- the high RPM frequency of the VFD (working with low RPM give better result)
2- the many up and down moves of the X axis..

I put some RF filters but the enhancement was so tiny..

I even removed the spindle cable out of the cable carrier to prevent any frequency interfere with the stepper cables but no way!

I wonder if the users who use wood routers instead of VFD spindle have the same problem?

On Tuesday, 8 July 2014, 7:10, "Hannu Venermo gcode.fi@... [pcb-gcode]" wrote:

This is not a Mach3 problem, as such.
Using directly from USB is specifically known NOT to work, and against
the rules.

The gcode files are and need to be memory mapped, and this wont work
reliably from a USB drive.
Its probably not as well documented as it should be.

On 07/07/2014 23:53, sdmonaco@... [pcb-gcode] wrote:
> Mach 3 appears to have an intermittant problem with resetting the
> origin when running directly off the USB drive

--
-hanermo (cnc designs)

Ashraf Gerges

Alastair

I second this, I tried to reduce the motor tuning parameters, but I did not get a good result, the next thing I may try is to replace the 10 A PS with 15 or 20 A..