Re: Which Mini CNC mill #mill

Dan.Staver

I get good results using very thin double-sided sticky carpet tape to hold the PCBs down for milling.

Dan Staver
Tave Tech Corp.
3130 Hollycrest Dr.
Colorado Springs, CO 80920
+1-719-359-5352 - office
+1-719-502-1675 - cell
tavetech - Skype
dan.staver@...
www.tavetech.com
W3QDO

On Feb 10, 2020, at 11:06 AM, John Ferguson via Groups.Io <jferg977@...> wrote:

Maybe there should be a subject change.  Have a look at the two fixtures whose photos I've attached.

I make printed circuits which are about 2 inch by 3 inch. I found that I couldn't get reliable trace widths unless the board was absolutely level to the machine.  So I started with an MDF fixture bolted to the milling table and drilled and tapped in four places so I could use nylon screws to hold the pcb down. Every time I do a new setup, I mill the surface of the fixture with a fly-cutter to level it.  This works 100% of the time.  I've had no bad experience with PCB's not being of constant thickness.

I had such good luck with the MDF board that I made a better one for HDPE. I also made a jig to drill the holes in the pcb so they would be sure to align with the ones in the fixture.

Frankly, I don't see how you could ever get reliable cuts without leveling the surface the pcb is secured to while etching.

john

Attachments:
DSC07301.JPG: https://groups.io/g/pcbgcode/attachment/8053/0
pcb-etching-fixture&pcb-drill-jig.JPG: https://groups.io/g/pcbgcode/attachment/8053/1