Re: removing trace isolation swarf #mill #development

John Ferguson

sounds like the old shampoo ad. Cut, repeat.

While I'm at it i want to again thank you for your wonderful code.  As I wrote when I first surfaced the swarf problem, I've gotten my design and cut routine down cold - everything works.

best regards,

john ferguson

On 3/22/19 1:21 PM, John Johnson wrote:

I had the idea of repeating the cuts assuming that the next pass would throw the swarf out of the groove.

Yes, that’s the idea. I got tired of cleaning the grooves myself.

John T. Johnson
PhD Candidate - Cognitive Motor Control Laboratory
Lab TA NEURO 2001 Principles
School of Biological Sciences
Georgia Institute of Technology

678-575-2093
john.johnson@...

On 22 Mar 2019, at 8:26, John Ferguson via Groups.Io wrote:

HI Dan,

I've been cutting my "grooves" in a single pass. I'm assuming "steps" means offsets, maybe cutting a groove and then making another pass .001 nearer the trace to clean it up. Is that it?

I had the idea of repeating the cuts assuming that the next pass would throw the swarf out of the groove.

If I want to do steps, I assume I would need to increase trace separation in Eagle and then set the step in pcbgcode.  If this is approximately right, I'll go back to the manual and try it.

my boards, except for one, are single sided with no vias.  they have a number pf dip sockets and traces must pass between pins and there isn't a lot of space there - .010 pin separation and I like to use the long pads; tight.

what do you think?

john

On 3/21/19 9:35 PM, Dan.Staver wrote:

What step size do you use and what cutter diameter?
I’ve found if I use a step of >=50% the cutter foam, I get these “leftovers”, but, if I set a step of 30-40%, it tends to be clean. Takes longer, of course.

Dan Staver
Tave Tech Corp.
3130 Hollycrest Dr.
Colorado Springs, CO 80920