Re: shorting traces - How I messed up & a question about spot-drill-holes #eagle #etch

klassen.jj@...

Truth be told, I spot drilled alright with a previous version of pcbgcode SOMETIMES but sometimes things would go horribly wrong, so I deactivated spot drilling in the past. but I re-setup my CNC and updated to the latest version and I came across this issue.

So I was curious, so I looked through all the files for every instance of 'SPOT_DRILL_DEPTH" to see where all it is defined and how it is used.

Fig 1 is just my search params in AstroGrep which yielded 2 ULP files and several settings files

Fig 2 shows the usage in the pcb-gcode-setup.ulp file,

-line 160 converts the user entered SPOT_DRILL_DEPTH in to the correct units for the machine,
-line 349 writes SPOT_DRILL_DEPTH with a name to a document somewhere, I assume the settings file
-line 589 creates the entry field for the GUI of the setup

so the mix-up can't happen in this file, which makes sense, because the settings file says the correct SPOT_DRILL_DEPTH value when inspected, so it must occur during the pcb-gcode.ulp file

Fig 3 shows the usage of 'SPOT_DRILL_DEPTH' in pcb-gcode.ulp

and searching for all instances of 'depth' or 'drill' bring me no luck...
Really, I don't know why my hack worked... perhaps I just pretend I am doing the first  spot drill every time because there is no difference in the routine (except it works for me?) and skipping the 'not first spot drill' section of the code...
but yeah.. it doesn't make sense that it puts the wrong depth in. I have no idea where it comes from.
Why there is a special case for the first spot drill, I do not know.

Good luck, I am glad you have success!