Re: How to etch a powerplane with pcb-gcode? #etch

Bruce Gennette

Milling out large areas between high voltage traces.

Do your normal design and route using the name xxx, then -
For areas to be removed draw a polygon between the traces (any shape).
Right click on each milling area polygon's boundary and select 'Properties'
Choose 'Polygon Pour' = cutout.

When the design is complete copy it and rename the copy to xxx-cutouts.
Delete from xxx -
Milling Polygons (except ground plain)
Milling Boundaries

Delete most things from the xxxx-cutouts, except -
Board Boundaries
Milling Polygons
Milling Edge Lines

Etch xxx
Surface end Mill xxx-cutouts
Boundary Mill through xxx-cut throughs

I haven't tried this, but it should work.
When converting xxx-cutouts to gcode you will probably need a new configuration for the width of the end mill to stay-inside-the-lines.

bye.

On Mon, 26 Nov 2018 at 07:26, Fred Genius <fredgenius@...> wrote:

A 1/8” end mill has the same size shank as a V bit (typically), so perhaps more convenient than a 2mm or 3mm bit. Although ER11A collets are designed to close up 0.5mm, I found it somewhat difficult to get a 3mm shank tight in a 1/8” collet..

Fred Ö¿Ö