Re: Newbie startup problem #gcode

jeff.birt

Yeah, the auto-update needs to be more configurable. For enterprise SKUs there is more control, but this just means that your IT department can force things on you. Ask me about having my new laptop remotely re-formatted. At least for updates out IT department now sends out emails in advance, so folks know when updates will be pushed out (and they do so in the middle of the night, not during a lecture.) On my CNC machines at the university I use an enterprise SKU, which looks at the university license server but is otherwise plain vanilla and not on the domain (so they can’t mess with it.)

While somethings on the new Eagle versions require some getting used to. I really like the new direction. To be honest it was a good tool before with some nice features and a very screwy UI. Trying to create a new package/part was the most counterintuitive process imaginable.

My old CAM processing scripts don’t work exactly right anymore. The Excellon export script I used for years is not depreciated so I need to try and use their new stock CAM export. I use CamBam mostly now for PCB gocde generation and its Excellon importer is not great (but the plug-in source is out there and I modified it to work better.)

About 1 a month Autodesk does a webcast with the guys from the Eagle team to talk about the updates. It gives you an idea of where they are going and how the new features work. I would highly recommend signing up for it and viewing the recorded webcasts.

Jeff

From: pcbgcode@groups.io <pcbgcode@groups.io> On Behalf Of keith3125 via Groups.Io
Sent: Wednesday, June 13, 2018 9:14 AM
To: pcbgcode@groups.io
Subject: Re: [pcbgcode] Newbie startup problem #gcode

Allow me to introduce another scenario with Windows 10 I found way more bothersome,Jeff. Try a weeks worth of 3D CAD in Rhino, machine left on overnight to find an otherwise 'saved' file wiped by the auto-update.

And some of the ridiculous little, supposed niceties, for the soccer mom users, can be infuriating when you're actually trying to do something not involving a Facebook post.

Don't get me started on Eagle CAD revisions. Someone really ruined a perfectly good layout program.

On Wednesday, June 13, 2018, 10:04:12 AM EDT, jeff.birt <birt_j@...> wrote:

>>The fact that WIN10 has a documents file in both onedrive\favorites and C:users makes me crazy

I’m not sure why this drives you crazy. OneDrive works just like another hard drive with some auto-syncing goodness built in. I suspect MS just tried to populate OneDrive with some familiar folder names, but I don’t think most of them are required. I do have my phone set up to upload to OneDrive so that folder name is important, but other than that I don’t think it is.

It interests me in a way that some folks dislike Windows 10. I have not found it much different that Windows 7 other than a slightly obtuse way they seem to hide some things (it seems harder to get to things like device manager, etc. by navigation but using the search bar works.). In fairness I suspect Joe Average user does not know what all these ‘power user’ things are and keeping them away from them is probably a good idea.

The automatic update thing is annoying as when I set up a machine for CNC control I want to make updates a manual process. This used to mean just using Win10 Pro over home but the latest install I did now only has a ‘delay for 35 days’ setting, not a manual update only. So, now for some more research on register hacks to fix this. Again, I realize that Joe Average needs to have the machine auto-update as the potential bad side effects of not updating are worse.

I think for use CNC guys this will eventually mean setting up a special ‘lite’ or Windows Embedded build on the CNC control PC. Linux gives one about a billion ways to shoot yourself in your foot if you don’t know what your doing. I recently set up a Raspberry Pi with a standard Pi-Raspbian build, including the desktop gui (have others that are all headless). You can’t even create a desktop shortcut without manually creating a text file.  What are the odds of Joe Average doing that?

Just pontificating not trying to start a OS religious war.

Jeff

From: pcbgcode@groups.io <pcbgcode@groups.io> On Behalf Of Art Eckstein
Sent: Wednesday, June 13, 2018 7:55 AM
To: pcbgcode@groups.io
Subject: Re: [pcbgcode] Newbie startup problem #gcode

OK, we are both in the same boat as far as age goes, and I agree with each passing day, things get more confusing for a lot of this stuff.  Having said that, I well offer my .02 worth in response to your questions.

What does $EAGLEDIR mean?  This is an entry made by eagle to indicate its default directory path for that feature. In my case, this will be "C:\Program Files (x86)\Eagle-6.1.0"

The PDF example uses forwards slashes ( / ) where the program uses back slashes ( \ ) and it uses colons in place of semi colons for separators.  I am assuming that backslashes and semicolons are correct.   
I believe you are correct .

What directories should Eagle and PCB Gcode be stored in?  The fact that WIN10 has a documents file in both onedrive\favorites and C:users makes me crazy

First off, I cannot respond to Win10 specifically as I (fortunately) do use it.  For installation of Eagle itself, I allow it by default to go to the C:\Program Files (x86)" for those files themselves.  Do to restrictions made by later versions of windows, you cannot reasonably store (write) data files in the "program files" area.  Therefore you need to put them in an un-restricted directory.  This can be in the users area or another area as designated by you and duly noted in the options area of Eagle.  In my case, I use a combination of the users area for normal Eagle common functions, but all my pcb-gcode files are on a separate drive. This was done back when the program was being updated on a somewhat regular basis and I could simply add a new directory for the unzipped version.  My pcbs and related info are stored in a separate directory with
sub folders dictated by project name. This keeps the project together and not mixed in with all other "stuff"

Hope this helps.

Country

At 07:32 AM 6/13/2018, RYERSON@... wrote:

I remain totally confused.  I am 75 and used to be a programming wizard, but time and technical progress have left me by the side of the road.

A number of things are confusing me; 

• What does $EAGLEDIR mean?  I assume it is some kind of path shorthand, but where does it point and what established it:
  • The PDF example uses forwards slashes ( / ) where the program uses back slashes ( \ ) and it uses colons in place of semi colons for separators.  I am assuming that backslashes and semicolons are correct.
  • What directories should Eagle and PCB Gcode be stored in?  The fact that WIN10 has a documents file in both onedrive\favorites and C:users makes me crazy 

Maybe I should just start over...............

Join pcbgcode@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.