Re: Newbie startup problem #gcode

jeff.birt

>>The fact that WIN10 has a documents file in both onedrive\favorites and C:users makes me crazy

I’m not sure why this drives you crazy. OneDrive works just like another hard drive with some auto-syncing goodness built in. I suspect MS just tried to populate OneDrive with some familiar folder names, but I don’t think most of them are required. I do have my phone set up to upload to OneDrive so that folder name is important, but other than that I don’t think it is.

It interests me in a way that some folks dislike Windows 10. I have not found it much different that Windows 7 other than a slightly obtuse way they seem to hide some things (it seems harder to get to things like device manager, etc. by navigation but using the search bar works.). In fairness I suspect Joe Average user does not know what all these ‘power user’ things are and keeping them away from them is probably a good idea.

The automatic update thing is annoying as when I set up a machine for CNC control I want to make updates a manual process. This used to mean just using Win10 Pro over home but the latest install I did now only has a ‘delay for 35 days’ setting, not a manual update only. So, now for some more research on register hacks to fix this. Again, I realize that Joe Average needs to have the machine auto-update as the potential bad side effects of not updating are worse.

I think for use CNC guys this will eventually mean setting up a special ‘lite’ or Windows Embedded build on the CNC control PC. Linux gives one about a billion ways to shoot yourself in your foot if you don’t know what your doing. I recently set up a Raspberry Pi with a standard Pi-Raspbian build, including the desktop gui (have others that are all headless). You can’t even create a desktop shortcut without manually creating a text file.  What are the odds of Joe Average doing that?

Just pontificating not trying to start a OS religious war.

Jeff