Re: Mach 3 compatible driver with encoder

jeff.birt

You do not need closed loop control; it is kind of pointless on a stepper motor anyhow. You just need stepper drivers that are not junk. The 2040, 6040, et. al. routers on EBay are notorious for coming with electronics that just don’t work. I have been through that with several customers looking for something that does work.

If you want to build something yourself take a look at: http://www.soigeneris.com/gecko_g540-details.aspx , the G540 has a built in opto-isolated break out board, VFD (analog) output, two high current outputs to drive relays, and uses four separate stepper drives that plug into the break out board. No matter who you buy from I can’t recommend the G540 enough.

If you want to see what can be built around a G540: http://www.soigeneris.com/stdr_4c-details.aspx . I have been building these for 5-6 years now and they are running everything from 4’x8’ routers to Taig mills.

I do sell this stuff so my opinion is biased, but I sell the products I use myself and believe in.

Jeff Birt

Soigeneirs.com