Yaquina River After Thanksgiving Float -- Dec. 4th

The After Thanksgiving Float from the Cannon Quarry ramp down to the Toledo Airport ramp is next Saturday. We'll be leaving the Cannon Quarry ramp about 1:00 so, with a strong ebb tide pushing us, we'll get to the Airport ramp with plenty of daylight left. Pizza from Cobblestone afterwards. :o) The Weatherman is promising clement weather:

http://www.coots.org/mb/Thanksgiving/

I'm gonna take Lazy Jack, so I can stay over Saturday night and attend the memorial for Dave West Sunday:

"We will be hosting a memorial for David West on Sunday December 5th at 11:00 AM. We will have an open mic for people to share their thoughts about Dave. At 12:30 the family will join a boat parade down to Craigy Point where we will stop and say a few words, then return to the boat shop.

"We will have the Waterfront Recreation and Education Center building open throughout the day for folks to mingle and share time and stories. We will also have a small amount of food and beverages for folks.

"Please respond here and let us know if you are attending this memorial. We have limited space on the boats during the boat parade, but if folks have their own (motor) boats we encourage them to join in.

"We look forward to a joyful celebrations of David’s life." (Joe Novello"

There is a custom, amounting almost to tradition, that true boat speeds are obscene and must never be mentioned except in a highly dressed up state. (Lindsay Lord)

cherrill boissonou

earl will be there

On Sun, Nov 28, 2021 at 11:03 PM John Kohnen <jkohnen@...> wrote:
[...]

Dan

Well, dagnabbittt!  Jamie told me you guys were working up to an overnight…and since the snow came and went and the Pony Express rider has been making it through the Gorge route without even using his snow shoes, and well…if I left day after tomorrow and didn’t stop for a nap enroute…well, Jamie was pretty much on to something.  That is, until I started a major shop renovation project about a week ago, and know what’ll happen if I go traipsing around the country with you Adventurers…but, sheesh awreddy…if I’d listened to Jamie a couple days back, well, we’d be loading Dinty Moore and gassin’ up, as we speak.  Do have a great outing, dan

elaineginader

Elaine will not be there. A bit under the weather.

On Sun, Nov 28, 2021, 11:03 PM John Kohnen <jkohnen@...> wrote:
[...]

John Purdy

For your entertainment, I thought I'd share my experience from the Thanksgiving Yaquina Float, This from a description I wrote to a local kayaker friend who asked about my day . . .

I decided to take Buck, the mighty Escort of Tiny Touring fame.  (Read about Buck and my adventures HEREI prepared to stay overnight for a nice leisurely trip up the coast for the trip home on Sunday.   The outing turned out much different than I had expected.  Weather forecast had changed from clear, calm and 55 degrees to 70% chance of rain, 50 degrees, and winds 8-15 knots with higher gusts.  Arrived at Cannon Quarry ramp at 12:30PM for a 1:00PM departure.  I needed to arrange a carpool to get back to the car after floating down river but there was literally no one else there. Humm, this has happened to me before when a Coot event had been scheduled, weather had changed for the worse and no one showed, only for me to find out later that the list of potentials had apparently been communicating privately, decided to cancel, I hadn't committed to go so I wasn't on the list of potentials so I didn't get the cancelation memo.

 Not wanting to waste my 2.5 hour drive I decided instead of floating downstream with the current, I'd paddle upstream for a couple of hours and ride the current back.  That way I didn't need a car shuttle.  With the kayak in the water I paddled upstream with the intent on learning how to paddle the back eddies and work my way upstream.  Went for 45 minutes, my navigation app showed I'd gone a mile.  Parked against a tree branch near shore, ate half a sandwich and drank some water.  Paddled on, crossing the river at the turning points in the river to be on the inside of the turns and therefore out of the main flow.  After two hours I'd gone 2 miles and was as far as I was going to go.  Weather had been okay, not much rain, not much wind, and tolerable temps.  Parked, I finished my sandwich and water, then set out to the middle of the flow to drift down current gazing at the water, sky, and changing shoreline.  An hour went by, I was only about 1/2 way back,  I continued to drift.  About 15 minutes later the skies darkened rain started filling in with a breeze in my face.  I had to paddle now to keep up with the current.  Another 10 minutes and the wind stiffened and rain thickened.  Alright enough is enough I thought, I gotta get back.  Now with the heavy rain and a 15 knot breeze in my face I paddled hard and fast the last 10 minutes to get back to the launch ramp.  Out of the boat my legs were stiff and wobbly.  After getting my legs back, pulled the kayak out of the water carried it to the car and hefted it up onto the rack . . . just barely.  The boat is heavy, about 45 pounds and even though the rack is low (small car, Buck, the mighty Escort) it's still a task to lift it after a paddling for a few hours.

After securing the gear, I was pretty wet, and had a bit of a chill.  There was lots of moisture in the car, staying overnight would not be pleasant.  By now it was almost 6:00 PM, weather was lousy, so I decided to drive back Home.  I found gas in Toledo for just $3.19 a gallon and headed out.  Got to Corvallis and was falling asleep at the wheel so stopped and rested for a while.  Woke at 9:00 PM then continued the drive, arrived home in Tigard around 10:30 PM

A few of positives from the trip.  1) I finally learned how to get my spray skirt to seal all the way around the kayak cockpit.  The kayak stayed pretty dry inside. 2) I got better at leaning the kayak to turn as I navigated around tree branches and grass clumps along the shoreline.  3) The Keel 2.0 I devised over a year ago but hadn't used much still worked well, though it looks silly.  I was able to paddle straight when I wanted to even though I was in a white water kayak that has no preference for going straight over going sideways. 4) The Navionics App recorded a nice track of my path dodging shoreline obstacles and documenting my river crossings to get out of the main current. The link below shows the track, you can Zoom in to see the details.

   Navionics ChartViewer

In the Navionics app (but not on the webpage above)  it has a 'play' icon that allows you to watch the track form.
Looks like the weather the next day on sunday might have been much better.  Oh well.  I got the kayak out and got to do some eddie hunting, something I'd like to get better at.

Last time I got caught out of the loop for a Coots event I still went out.  Took a bunch of pictures, my iPhone made a movie of the pictures, and I uploaded it to my TinyTouring Youtube channel.  You can see the video here.

John Purdy
Potter 15 #1206  "Perky"
Pyranha 8' white water kayak "Silk Purse"
Laser #196816   "JoyRide V"

On Friday, December 3, 2021, 05:34:21 PM PST, elaineginader <elaineginader@...> wrote:

[...]

Good for you, John! You're a more intrepid Coot than the rest of us, for sure. :o) I'm sorry we didn't tell the world that we weren't going, but me and Earl didn't think we were the only Coots, other than you, who planned to go. I got a plague (I blame my sister <g>) that kept me near the bathroom for several days, and Earl decided not to go just for the day, since I wasn't gonna be staying overnight in Toledo. I'm even sorrier I missed the memorial for Dave West Sunday...

I'm glad there were some positives to your adventure, beyond how good it felt after it was over. <g> We'll try to communicate better next time.

On 12/11/2021 8:04 PM, John P wrote:
For your entertainment, I thought I'd share my experience from the Thanksgiving Yaquina Float, This from a description I wrote to a local kayaker friend who asked about my day . . .
Quotation is a serviceable substitute for wit. (Oscar Wilde)