Topics

Yaquina River After Thanksgiving Float

It was a Perfect day for a float today. The sun was shining warmly, there was barely a breath of a breeze, no jackets were needed. :o) Alas, I was alone at the Cannon Quarry ramp, with noone to help shuttle my trailer down to the airport ramp. <sigh> I thought about putting in and going upriver a ways and coming back with the tide, but I went and had pizza. <g>

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmJGR7yL

Due to an uncooperative moon the tide was kinda late today. The sun was warm, but once it dropped behind the hills it was gonna cool off fast. Next year I've negotiated a much earlier high tide. I hope the sun and wind behave as nicely next year as they did today.

--
John (john@...)
I cannot endure to waste anything as precious as autumn sunshine by staying in the house. (Nathaniel Hawthorne)

I got an early start on the drive to Toledo yesterday, just in case the roads were icy and I had to slow down. The roads were dry so I killed some time by driving up to Elk City. A beautiful drive (as was the drive over the mountains and back, it was a beautiful day!), with a little frost and ice on the road in the shady spots up by Elk City. There were a bunch of boat trailers and cars with canoe/kayak racks at Elk City park, and I saw some kayakers a little downstream. It looked like some other boating group was trespassing on our turf, either going upriver to Elk City, or maybe doing a loop -- downriver against the tide and then coming back with it. I'll bet they had fun. :o)

The Robert Steward Chick sailing pram Rick Johnson and ? have been building in the Andrew Linn Boatshop is nearing completion. It looks real good! :o) I believe one of the retired Old Geezers is fabricating the hardware for the gunter rig. It'll be interesting to see how that setup works. We don't see many sliding gunter rigs around here...

https://flic.kr/p/2hT6eH5

https://flic.kr/p/2hT5azg

http://www.coots.org/BoatPlans/Chick

The pizza by the slice was good at Cobblestone. I was gonna be good and have a salad with it, but they weren't making salads that time of day, so I let the waitress talk me into having a half-dozen garlic rolls instead. They sure were good dipped in ranch dressing. :o)

On 11/30/2019 12:29 AM, I wrote:
It was a Perfect day for a float today. The sun was shining warmly, there was barely a breath of a breeze, no jackets were needed. :o)
https://flic.kr/s/aHsmJGR7yL
John (@Jkohnen)
There is only one honest impulse at the bottom of Puritanism, and that is the impulse to punish the man with a superior capacity for happiness. (H. L. Mencken)

Case Turner

Sounds like you got the best part of salad, ranch dressing.

Chick is a nice looking pram. Looks like it should sail nicely.

Case

Sent from not here

On 11/30/2019 12:29 AM, I wrote:
It was a Perfect day for a float today. The sun was shining warmly, there was barely a breath of a breeze, no jackets were needed. :o)
https://flic.kr/s/aHsmJGR7yL
John (@Jkohnen)
There is only one honest impulse at the bottom of Puritanism, and that is the impulse to punish the man with a superior capacity for happiness. (H. L. Mencken)

--
Dirt

elaineginader

I thought of this float on Friday as I sat in my cubicle wishing I could be there instead. Great pictures John. I wanted to see Pearl moving in the water too bummer.

Elaine

On Sat, Nov 30, 2019, 12:29 AM John Kohnen <jkohnen@...> wrote:
It was a Perfect day for a float today. The sun was shining warmly,
there was barely a breath of a breeze, no jackets were needed. :o) Alas,
I was alone at the Cannon Quarry ramp, with noone to help shuttle my
trailer down to the airport ramp. <sigh> I thought about putting in and
going upriver a ways and coming back with the tide, but I went and had
pizza. <g>

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmJGR7yL

Due to an uncooperative moon the tide was kinda late today. The sun was
warm, but once it dropped behind the hills it was gonna cool off fast.
Next year I've negotiated a much earlier high tide. I hope the sun and
wind behave as nicely next year as they did today.

--
John (john@...)
I cannot endure to waste anything as precious as autumn sunshine by
staying in the house. (Nathaniel Hawthorne)

Dan

Wow, my Coot calendar has nearly reached the last page, again.  Sure hope John got my order for a replacement.  Anyhow, I was just staring at January, and wondering.  Although, I may already have my answer.  Nonetheless, the question goes like this:  If I was to propose an expedition out of Toledo, to someplace by water on the weekend of 18-19 January, would anybody show up?

We have a son in Philomath, and I have a boat that would like a seatrial about then.  Local Almostcanada waters will be of the consistency you can drive a pickup across by then.  So, if the highways are passable about then, I would likely hook up and tow Walkabout on down youseguys’ way.  If I do this somewhat eccentric trip, I’ll drop Kate off in Philomath and continue west in search of navigable water.  I understand that Fern Ridge is allowed to flush all the toilets in John’s neighborhood and become a series of gooey mud puddles by then.  Is there an alternate venue anybody would rather recommend??  If there is any interest in this, please drop me a line.  Thanks, Dan.

elaineginader

This sounds like fun Dan. If I can get Larimar's seat completed I'll join you. Well it also depends on the weather and if I can drive to my destination.

On Sun, Dec 1, 2019, 12:33 AM Dan <danashore@...> wrote:

[...]

They made you _work_ on Black Friday?! No wonder the brick and mortar stores are going broke. <g> Next year the After Thanksgiving float will be on Saturday, so as not to conflict with the rush to the shopping malls. ;o)

I took Pickle to the Yaquina, not Pearl, with her remote-control electric trolling motor for effortless messing about. Her boat cover finally bit the dust, so I guess I'll have to oil up the Necchi and get to work...

On 11/30/2019 4:07 PM, elaine wrote:
I thought of this float on Friday as I sat in my cubicle wishing I could be there instead. Great pictures John. I wanted to see Pearl moving in the water too bummer.
https://flic.kr/s/aHsmJGR7yL
--
John (@Jkohnen)
There is a custom, amounting almost to tradition, that true boat speeds are obscene and must never be mentioned except in a highly dressed up state. (Lindsay Lord)

elaineginader

I can help you if you need me for pickles cover. But keep the old one as a pattern. We could meet at the boat house. Good I'm glad about the float will be on Saturday that way I'll be able to go. If you can please send me directions on how to get to the Flounders feast. I usually ride with Mark and he said he might not be able to make it.

--
John (jkohnen@...)
There is a custom, amounting almost to tradition, that true boat speeds
are obscene and must never be mentioned except in a highly dressed up
state. (Lindsay Lord)

Joe Novello

Peggy and I went to Yaquina Head to drink our morning coffee. The ocean kept calling to us - it was lake flat with no wind. So we ran home and got the Duckworth to the ramp and spent the entire day - all the way until sunset fishing the north reef. With much success, I might add.  A day well spent on the water. I’m sorry John - Happy wife = happy life.

Joe