Topics

Wow! (Not boat related)

The gearheads among you will enjoy this:

https://flic.kr/p/2hHTZJL

Long ago I daydreamed about building a crazy motorcycle like that using a flathead six as a base (I used to smoke a lot of pot <g>). This fellow seems to have used hydraulic drive to solve how to get the power to make a right-angle turn in a short space on its way to the rear wheel.

Steampunkers may be nuts, but they seem to have fun. <g>

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmJhJfvz

The photographer built a skin-on=frame kayak too:

https://flic.kr/s/aHsjdG5vzK

Fishing is a delusion entirely surrounded by liars in old clothes. (Don Marquis)

Case Turner

Lon would’ve loved that bike!

Have you looked at Janus motorcycle company?

Case

Sent from not here

On Nov 17, 2020, at 12:21 AM, John Kohnen <jkohnen@...> wrote:

The gearheads among you will enjoy this:

https://flic.kr/p/2hHTZJL

Long ago I daydreamed about building a crazy motorcycle like that using a flathead six as a base (I used to smoke a lot of pot <g>). This fellow seems to have used hydraulic drive to solve how to get the power to make a right-angle turn in a short space on its way to the rear wheel.

Steampunkers may be nuts, but they seem to have fun. <g>

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmJhJfvz

The photographer built a skin-on=frame kayak too:

https://flic.kr/s/aHsjdG5vzK

Fishing is a delusion entirely surrounded by liars in old clothes. (Don Marquis)

Dirt

Richard Green

Amazing creations both steampunk and Janus!!

Rich

On Nov 17, 2020, at 5:26 AM, Case Turner <casesturner@...> wrote:

[...]

https://bmwdean.com/earles-fork.htm

Janus claim that their Chinese 250 engine is big enough but, while a modern 250 can go fast enough, Andrew can tell you that they can be tiresome for covering long distances:

http://andrewlinn.com/2019/190504madras/

Looks like an enthusiastic small company. And I like that they tell you what stuff they build themselves, and where they get the rest. I wish them success.

On 11/17/2020 5:26 AM, Case wrote:
Lon would’ve loved that bike!
Have you looked at Janus motorcycle company?
https://janusmotorcycles.com/ <https://janusmotorcycles.com/>;

https://flic.kr/p/2hHTZJL
The King’s English is not the King’s. It’s a joint stock company, and Americans own most of the shares. (Mark Twain)

Thinking about Janus Motorcycles made me think of what a somewhat (maybe a bit more than that <g>) fellow I used to work with did. He took two Citroen 2CVs, cut them in half, then welded the two front halves together. The experiment wasn't altogether a success, but it truly was a Janus of motorcars. ;o)

On 11/17/2020 5:26 AM, Case wrote:
https://janusmotorcycles.com/
Love is the delightful interval between meeting a beautiful girl and discovering she looks like a haddock. (John Barrymore)

cherrill boissonou

Which Avant avanted?
Earl

On Nov 17, 2020, at 10:58 AM, John Kohnen <jkohnen@boat-links.com> wrote:

Thinking about Janus Motorcycles made me think of what a somewhat (maybe a bit more than that <g>) fellow I used to work with did. He took two Citroen 2CVs, cut them in half, then welded the two front halves together. The experiment wasn't altogether a success, but it truly was a Janus of motorcars. ;o)

On 11/17/2020 5:26 AM, Case wrote:
https://janusmotorcycles.com/
Love is the delightful interval between meeting a beautiful girl and discovering she looks like a haddock. (John Barrymore)

Those “thumper” motors and chain drive would be too noisy for my tastes. Once you’ve had a beemer you never want to go back.

Rich

On Nov 17, 2020, at 10:47 AM, John Kohnen <jkohnen@boat-links.com> wrote:

https://bmwdean.com/earles-fork.htm

Janus claim that their Chinese 250 engine is big enough but, while a modern 250 can go fast enough, Andrew can tell you that they can be tiresome for covering long distances:

http://andrewlinn.com/2019/190504madras/

Looks like an enthusiastic small company. And I like that they tell you what stuff they build themselves, and where they get the rest. I wish them success.

On 11/17/2020 5:26 AM, Case wrote:
Lon would’ve loved that bike!
Have you looked at Janus motorcycle company?
https://janusmotorcycles.com/ <https://janusmotorcycles.com/>;

https://flic.kr/p/2hHTZJL
The King’s English is not the King’s. It’s a joint stock company, and Americans own most of the shares. (Mark Twain)

Jhcalbany@aol.com

I've always wanted to attend a Steampunk faire, with an e.

IIRC, the ring gear on the differential of one of the halves was swapped over to the other side (I think you could do that on those strange little cars) so it had three speeds reverse. Thus one end was permanently the front, so car had "traction avant et traction derriere". ;o) But at low speeds there could be conflict between the driver in back and the driver in front. <g> Both steering wheels worked! I was told tales of wild late-night testing in the parking lot at LCC. <g>

Alas, he made that monster before I met him, and it had already been sent to the scrap heap by then. <sigh>

A few decades ago some crazy gearheads took two Honda Civics and put the drive train from one into the trunk of the other, making a two-engine, four wheel drive speedster. One of the British car magazines tested one of them and said that when it was accelerating fast it sounded like a Dakota taking off! <g> (Dakota is British for DC-3/C-47) Since only one end steered, these hotrods (more than one were independently cobbled together around the world) were more successful than the two-faced 2CV. Coordinating the throttles wouldn't have been hard, but I don't recall how they handled the shifting...

On 11/17/2020 1:46 PM, Earl wrote:
Which Avant avanted?
Thinking about Janus Motorcycles made me think of what a somewhat (maybe a bit more than that <g>) fellow I used to work with did. He took two Citroen 2CVs, cut them in half, then welded the two front halves together. The experiment wasn't altogether a success, but it truly was a Janus of motorcars. ;o)
Ah! how delicious it is to turn over and go to sleep again: "just for five minutes." Is there any human being, I wonder, besides the hero of a Sunday-school "tale for boys," who ever gets up willingly? (Jerome K. Jerome)