Topics

Winterizing a Trailer Sailer, and Books to share

Good Girl's new owners, Josh and Shannon, have some books to share. See attachment. They'd also like some advice about how to get Good Girl ready for a winter on her trailer.

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2020 21:56:45 -0700
From: Shannon & Josh Mead
To: John Kohnen <jkohnen@boat-links.com>

Thanks,
Here's some of the books I have, would be happy to share with you or other members.

Skepticism, like chastity, should not be relinquished too readily. (George Santayana)

elaineginader

Could I please have the book "On Celtic Tides".I can't come to the lunch I'm working.

Elaine

On Mon, Oct 19, 2020, 3:39 PM John Kohnen <jkohnen@...> wrote:
Good Girl's new owners, Josh and Shannon, have some books to share. See
attachment. They'd also like some advice about how to get Good Girl
ready for a winter on her trailer.

Here's some of the books I have, would be happy to share with you or
other members.

Skepticism, like chastity, should not be relinquished too readily.
(George Santayana)

Josh

If you're in Eugene area it should be pretty simple to meet somewhere. Any books I loan out I would like back eventually but am not in any hurry.
Josh

elaineginader

Thank you Josh but I live in Portland. If you come to the Halloween Float I'll be there.

On Tue, Oct 20, 2020, 9:30 AM Josh <roseandthistlecustom@...> wrote:
If you're in Eugene area it should be pretty simple to meet somewhere. Any books I loan out I would like back eventually but am not in any hurry.
Josh

Josh

We love to go for drives and Rose hasn't been to Astoria yet so maybe sometime soon we'll head up I-5.

On Tue, Oct 20, 2020, 9:39 AM elaineginader <elaineginader@...> wrote:
Thank you Josh but I live in Portland. If you come to the Halloween Float I'll be there.

On Tue, Oct 20, 2020, 9:30 AM Josh <roseandthistlecustom@...> wrote:
If you're in Eugene area it should be pretty simple to meet somewhere. Any books I loan out I would like back eventually but am not in any hurry.
Josh

Jove Lachman-Curl

Winterizing.....
I don't know that much..... I've got an 18ft swing keel windrose 18, this is the 2nd winter.
I take the cushions out and sails and anything else that that will mold, I take the outboard indoors, I put a tarp over it and tie it down all the way round, I watch if for rain pockets making bathtubs in the tarp and put items under the tarp as needed so it will shed properly. The tie downs got loose and needed tightening after a week or so.
I ball the tarp up in a fist and choke it with a short piece of rope to make a tie point where there isn't one..... tarp is rectangle, boat is kind of a triangle.
Not perfect, but that's what I've done so far.
In the spring I did find a ball of fuzz that looked like it might have been a mouse nest.... not sure what to do about that.
Last winter the tarp failed at one point and I ended up with quite a bit of water in the boat, I bailed it out, and then set a fan in there on an extension cord, and rebuilt the tarp which hasn't failed since, the fan dried it out within a few days.
-Jove

On Tue, Oct 20, 2020 at 10:36 AM Josh <roseandthistlecustom@...> wrote:
We love to go for drives and Rose hasn't been to Astoria yet so maybe sometime soon we'll head up I-5.

On Tue, Oct 20, 2020, 9:39 AM elaineginader <elaineginader@...> wrote:
Thank you Josh but I live in Portland. If you come to the Halloween Float I'll be there.

On Tue, Oct 20, 2020, 9:30 AM Josh <roseandthistlecustom@...> wrote:
If you're in Eugene area it should be pretty simple to meet somewhere. Any books I loan out I would like back eventually but am not in any hurry.
Josh

Richard Green

Be sure tongue of trailer is raised above level to drain through the cockpit drains should there be leakage of the tarp over the boat.  Two options I’ve used in the past.  One is, no heat in the boat if it is not in the sun/shade situation which can cause condensation.  Second is the old 100w light bulb inside to keep a bit of heat.  In Jaunty, my wood boat, I used a yellow heater I got at a big box store on the lowest setting.  When it comes to my boats, I don’t worry the heat bill…but live in a town with public ‘lectricity which is low cost.

Rich

On Oct 20, 2020, at 10:57 AM, Jove Lachman-Curl <jovelc87@...> wrote:

[...]

It's a good idea to let some fresh air get inside the tarp, even if you've got a plastic boat, to discourage moss and mildew.

Put a marble or pebble inside that "fist" of tarp to make a more secure tie point.

On 10/20/2020 10:57 AM, Jove wrote:
Winterizing.....
I don't know that much..... I've got an 18ft swing keel windrose 18, this is the 2nd winter.
I take the cushions out and sails and anything else that that will mold, I take the outboard indoors, I put a tarp over it and tie it down all the way round,
I ball the tarp up in a fist and choke it with a short piece of rope to make a tie point where there isn't one..... tarp is rectangle, boat is kind of a triangle.
Not perfect, but that's what I've done so far.
Listen! The wind is rising, and the air is wild with leaves, We have had our summer evenings, now for October eves! (Humbert Wolfe)

Dan

Put a marble or pebble inside that "fist" of tarp to make a more secure
tie point.

Now, i know what saving those aggies and steelies from 1st grade "lagging
for aggies" on the playground woulda'; been good for...Dan

Richard Green

Hm. I lost some of my marbles…..

Rich

On Oct 22, 2020, at 11:44 AM, Dan <danashore@conceptcable.com> wrote:

Put a marble or pebble inside that "fist" of tarp to make a more secure
tie point.

Now, i know what saving those aggies and steelies from 1st grade "lagging
for aggies" on the playground woulda'; been good for...Dan

If you didn't save those marbles you won in grade school -- or lost your marbles -- you may have some old, rotten bungees left over from long deceased tarp shelters, like I do. The plastic thingy on the end of those bungees works almost as good as a marble for making an extra tie point in a tarp.

On 10/22/2020 11:44 AM, Dan in Almostcanada wrote:
Put a marble or pebble inside that "fist" of tarp to make a more secure
tie point.
Now, i know what saving those aggies and steelies from 1st grade "lagging
for aggies" on the playground woulda'; been good for...Dan
Society is like a stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you get a lot of scum on the top. (Edward Abbey)

Josh

I realized she'd (Good Girl) be even better off inside so I cleared out enough of the garage to pull her inside.

Next up I need to set up an anchor and rode and a trolling motor before next summer. Any tips on where to find them used?
Also gonna have to replace the trailer wiring on my truck, bet YouTube is best for how to do that.

elaineginader I haven't forgotten you wanted that book, if you email me @ roseandthistlecustom@... with your address I'll just mail it to you.
Josh