Topics

Western Flyer Rebuild

Pete Leenhouts got in to see Western Flyer. All the new frames are installed and the old planking had been removed:

https://preview.tinyurl.com/yyzqwzdp

or

https://www.flickr.com/search/?text=WESTERN%20FLYER&contacts=all&view_all=1&sort=date-posted-desc

Pete had Riptide at the Shipwright's Co-Op for some work a while back, so he had an opportunity to get a bunch of other shots of Western Flyer.

--
John (@Jkohnen)
Start every day off with a smile and get it over with. (W. C. Fields)

Oops! Those links were screwed up because they pointed to someone I "follow" on Flickr. Why do they do that? <sigh> I think these will work better:

https://preview.tinyurl.com/y6a7o5mr

or

https://www.flickr.com/search/?user_id=41570332%40N02&sort=date-taken-desc&view_all=1&text=western%20flyer

On 8/29/2019 6:43 PM, Claire wrote:
Got this page from your links re western flyer
--
John (@Jkohnen)
There are some enterprises in which a careful disorderliness is the true method. (Herman Melville)

Keith Korporaal

If one were to search “Western Flyer Restoration” on Youtube, you will find 13 episodes on the progress.  Yesterday, (8/28), I was at the Port Townsend Shipwrights Co-Op picking up my boat.  The Western Flyer’s new stem and keel were laying on the floor, getting ready for installation.  Besides the history and John Steinbeck’s part, the the co-op’s craftsmanship is the fascinating part of this story.  And, add to that, the staff’s willingness to show any one interested... it’s worth a trip.

Oops! Those links were screwed up because they pointed to someone I
"follow" on Flickr. Why do they do that? <sigh> I think these will work
better:

https://preview.tinyurl.com/y6a7o5mr

or

https://www.flickr.com/search/?user_id=41570332%40N02&sort=date-taken-desc&view_all=1&text=western%20flyer

On 8/29/2019 6:43 PM, Claire wrote:
> Got this page from your links re western flyer

--
John (jkohnen@...)
There are some enterprises in which a careful disorderliness is the true
method. (Herman Melville)

Joe Novello

Keith, Wasn’t that your boat in the last few pictures next to Western Flyer?

On Thu, Aug 29, 2019 at 7:33 PM Keith Korporaal <orionkeith@...> wrote:
If one were to search “Western Flyer Restoration” on Youtube, you will find 13 episodes on the progress.  Yesterday, (8/28), I was at the Port Townsend Shipwrights Co-Op picking up my boat.  The Western Flyer’s new stem and keel were laying on the floor, getting ready for installation.  Besides the history and John Steinbeck’s part, the the co-op’s craftsmanship is the fascinating part of this story.  And, add to that, the staff’s willingness to show any one interested... it’s worth a trip.

Oops! Those links were screwed up because they pointed to someone I
"follow" on Flickr. Why do they do that? <sigh> I think these will work
better:

https://preview.tinyurl.com/y6a7o5mr

or

https://www.flickr.com/search/?user_id=41570332%40N02&sort=date-taken-desc&view_all=1&text=western%20flyer

On 8/29/2019 6:43 PM, Claire wrote:
> Got this page from your links re western flyer

--
John (jkohnen@...)
There are some enterprises in which a careful disorderliness is the true
method. (Herman Melville)

--
Joe Novello

Which boat do you think is Keith's?

This is Pete's Riptide next to Western Flyer. She looks small!

https://preview.tinyurl.com/y44tevzy

On 8/29/2019 7:34 PM, Toledo Joe wrote:
Keith, Wasn’t that your boat in the last few pictures next to Western Flyer?
--
John (@Jkohnen)
People who have tried it, tell me that a clear conscience makes you very happy and contented; but a full stomach does the business quite as well, and is cheaper, and more easily obtained. (Jerome K. Jerome)

Richard Green

The son of an old friend is now working on such boats in a yard in PT. After the rush is over, I reckon to head up and see if I can scope him out. Get that “new” RV out and among’em. Mebbe get a front row on the sound near Pt Hudson.

Many, many years ago we (back when there was a “we”) stayed in the Pt Hudson motel, now long ended. Room had such a bad case of fleas we bombed the room with two bombs before we could sleep there for the night. Shudder…….

I miss showing my boat, no longer mine, at the show. Mebbe should have kept Jaunty just for shows if nothing else. Heavy sigh…..

Rich

Joe Novello

On Thu, Aug 29, 2019 at 9:27 PM John Kohnen <jkohnen@...> wrote:
Which boat do you think is Keith's?

This is Pete's Riptide next to Western Flyer. She looks small!

https://preview.tinyurl.com/y44tevzy

On 8/29/2019 7:34 PM, Toledo Joe wrote:
> Keith, Wasn’t that your boat in the last few pictures next to Western Flyer?

--
John (jkohnen@...)
People who have tried it, tell me that a clear conscience makes you very
happy and contented; but a full stomach does the business quite as well,
and is cheaper, and more easily obtained. (Jerome K. Jerome)

--
Joe Novello

Claire Acord

If Pete L.’s boat is on one side, and Keith K’s is on the other side of Western Flyer, does that mean the Coots have her surrounded?  Are you discussing terms of her surrender....what a grand ‘Coot Clubhouse’ she would be...
Cheers
Claire...obviously suffering from boat festival fever

On Thu, Aug 29, 2019 at 7:35 PM Joe Novello <joenovello3@...> wrote:
Keith, Wasn’t that your boat in the last few pictures next to Western Flyer?

On Thu, Aug 29, 2019 at 7:33 PM Keith Korporaal <orionkeith@...> wrote:
If one were to search “Western Flyer Restoration” on Youtube, you will find 13 episodes on the progress.  Yesterday, (8/28), I was at the Port Townsend Shipwrights Co-Op picking up my boat.  The Western Flyer’s new stem and keel were laying on the floor, getting ready for installation.  Besides the history and John Steinbeck’s part, the the co-op’s craftsmanship is the fascinating part of this story.  And, add to that, the staff’s willingness to show any one interested... it’s worth a trip.

Oops! Those links were screwed up because they pointed to someone I
"follow" on Flickr. Why do they do that? <sigh> I think these will work
better:

https://preview.tinyurl.com/y6a7o5mr

or

https://www.flickr.com/search/?user_id=41570332%40N02&sort=date-taken-desc&view_all=1&text=western%20flyer

On 8/29/2019 6:43 PM, Claire wrote:
> Got this page from your links re western flyer

--
John (jkohnen@...)
There are some enterprises in which a careful disorderliness is the true
method. (Herman Melville)

--
Joe Novello

--
Stay afloat with current events....visit Traditional Small Craft Association - Puget Sound's website:
http://www.tscapuget.org

David Graybeal

If anyone wants to take a peek... I recently got an invite to look her over. Open house during the Festival. Saturday noon - 2pm

We've got to wait until _after_ they're done spending all that money rebuilding her before we do any Western Flyer piracy. Riptide and Keith's boat were just snuck into the Shipwrights Coop to do some covert reconnaissance. <g>

On 8/30/2019 8:32 AM, Claire wrote:
If Pete L.’s boat is on one side, and Keith K’s is on the other side of Western Flyer, does that mean the Coots have her surrounded?  Are you discussing terms of her surrender....what a grand ‘Coot Clubhouse’ she would be...
Cheers
Claire...obviously suffering from boat festival fever
--
John (@Jkohnen)
The best way to give advice to your children is to find out what they want and then advise them to do it. (Harry S Truman)

Might be hard to get to the other end of town after brunch and back in time to catch Marty's presentation. Maybe I'll try to get a peak on Monday...

On 8/30/2019 8:33 AM, David G wrote:
If anyone wants to take a peek... I recently got an invite to look her over. Open house during the Festival. Saturday noon - 2pm
--
John (@Jkohnen)
If animals could speak, the dog would be a blundering outspoken fellow; but the cat would have the rare grace of never saying a word too much. (Mark Twain)