Topics

Waldo lake

Josh

Rose's allergy troubles got to be too much so we had to get out of the valley yesterday. The snow on the trails was still about 3' deep in places, especially up at Betty lake.

Case Turner

Did you check out Charleton lake? Been wanting to get up there and canoe.

Case

Sent from not here

On Jun 6, 2020, at 8:05 AM, Josh <roseandthistlecustom@...> wrote:

Rose's allergy troubles got to be too much so we had to get out of the valley yesterday. The snow on the trails was still about 3' deep in places, especially up at Betty lake.
<20200605_144431.jpg>
<20200605_144530.jpg>
<20200605_144847.jpg>

<20200605_144945.jpg>

--
Dirt

Richard Green

Really enjoyed the photos, brought back memories!  Thanks.

Rich

On Jun 6, 2020, at 8:40 AM, Case Turner <casesturner@...> wrote:

Did you check out Charleton lake? Been wanting to get up there and canoe.

Case

Sent from not here

On Jun 6, 2020, at 8:05 AM, Josh <roseandthistlecustom@...> wrote:

Rose's allergy troubles got to be too much so we had to get out of the valley yesterday. The snow on the trails was still about 3' deep in places, especially up at Betty lake.
<20200605_144431.jpg>
<20200605_144530.jpg>
<20200605_144847.jpg>

<20200605_144945.jpg>

--
Dirt

Josh

Haven't yet, I'll have to look it up.

Case Turner

If you went into Waldo lake Campgrounds and day use areas you went right past the turn off for Charleton. It’s about 3-4 miles before the Waldo Lake campgrounds and only a 1/4 mile off the paved road. There’s a parking area and it’s a short hike to the lake (1/16) of a mile. We go paddle there several times a year once the snow melts. There’s camping on the lake but you have to back everything in. I use my canoe as a wheel barrow to run our gear in.

Case

Sent from not here

On Jun 6, 2020, at 9:05 AM, Josh <roseandthistlecustom@...> wrote:

Haven't yet, I'll have to look it up.

I haven't been to Charlton Lake since I camped at the shelter there in 1968, when I was doing Outward Bound. They'd split us up into small groups and turned us loose a few days hike north of there, hoping we could find out way to our final destination, Gold Lake, by different routes. Whether we were supposed to, or not, several of the groups converged on the Charlton Lake shelter for our last night on the trail. We shared our remaining food and had a good dinner and BS session. A good memory...

Something odd happened that night. It was a nice night, so I was sleeping under the stars (the only alternative was an Army surplus poncho!). As I was drifting off I heard a distant bell, as I got closer to unconsciousness the bell didn't seem to be getting closer. Then, DING! DING!, it was right in my ear! I woke with a start and looked up to a big, equine face right in mine! The horse was as startled as I was, and galloped away. ;o)

https://oregonlakesatlas.org/map?lake=17070301000906

The road into Waldo Lake was being improved that summer, perhaps getting ready to be paved. I don't recall if there was a road to Charlton Lake then. It wouldn't have mattered, because we were traveling by shank's mare.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/deschutes/recarea/?recid=81769

When we got to Gold Lake the huckleberries were ripe to perfection, so we picked a bunch, threw them in a billy can with some dried fruit we had left, and some water, and cooked up a heavenly goo, which we had for dessert after a steak dinner. :o) Me and a couple pother guys "borrowed" a boat that was there and paddled around on the lake, maybe using the floorboards? There weren't any oars. Gold Lake is pretty interesting. It's full of goldish algae, and the fish are said to love it.

https://oregonlakesatlas.org/map?lake=17090001001110

Thanks for the photos, Josh. As you can see, they stirred up some old memories. :o)

On 6/6/2020 10:17 AM, Case wrote:
If you went into Waldo lake Campgrounds and day use areas you went right past the turn off for Charleton. It’s about 3-4 miles before the Waldo Lake campgrounds and only a 1/4 mile off the paved road. There’s a parking area and it’s a short hike to the lake (1/16) of a mile. We go paddle there several times a year once the snow melts. There’s camping on the lake but you have to back everything in. I use my canoe as a wheel barrow to run our gear in.
I just think it's rather odd that a nation that prides itself on its virility should feel compelled to strap on forty pounds of protective gear just in order to play rugby. (Rupert Giles on American football)

Case Turner

Actually the road to Charlton from the Cascade lakes highway is a piece of $h!! it’s faster to go to 58 and up Waldo lake road to get there now.

The road from Waldo to Taylor and Irish is still there, however it requires 4wd. The section from Taylor and Irish to little Cultus is the worst and if wet would require 4 low. We paddled both lakes last summer. A major fire, can’t remember which one burnt through that whole western end and it’s like driving through a moonscape until you are almost to Irish lake.

Case
Enjoy the weekend! You know it’s coming!

On 6/6/2020 10:17 AM, Case wrote:
If you went into Waldo lake Campgrounds and day use areas you went right past the turn off for Charleton. It’s about 3-4 miles before the Waldo Lake campgrounds and only a 1/4 mile off the paved road. There’s a parking area and it’s a short hike to the lake (1/16) of a mile. We go paddle there several times a year once the snow melts. There’s camping on the lake but you have to back everything in. I use my canoe as a wheel barrow to run our gear in.
I just think it's rather odd that a nation that prides itself on its virility should feel compelled to strap on forty pounds of protective gear just in order to play rugby. (Rupert Giles on American football)

Dirt

Josh

I really enjoyed peoples memories of that area. When I was growing up my parents didn't know what the outdoors was but our landlord took me to Waldo every summer. He'd bring two canoes and put braces across the top turning them into a catamaran then take the gear to the campsite while his wife and I walked around the shore.