Topics

Victory

An interesting article about the CG Newport lifeboat Victory. She's well over 60 years old, and they have to _make_ parts to keep her going, but there are still no replacement boats that can do what she can:

https://newportnewstimes.com/article/victory-the-queen-of-the-fleet

The noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it. (Laurence J. Peter)

Case Turner

My favorite CG boat ever. Pretty amazing boat.

I got to go for a short cruise on her across the bay once.

Case

On Feb 1, 2021, at 12:51 PM, John Kohnen <jkohnen@boat-links.com> wrote:

An interesting article about the CG Newport lifeboat Victory. She's well over 60 years old, and they have to _make_ parts to keep her going, but there are still no replacement boats that can do what she can:

https://newportnewstimes.com/article/victory-the-queen-of-the-fleet

The noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it. (Laurence J. Peter)

Dirt

Victory's my favorite CG boat too, with the other steel 52-footers close behind. But they're Old. It's getting so it's hard to keep them going, so Victory sits idle, waiting to be used only when her capabilities are _really_ needed. I'll miss the 52s when they're gone, but their replacements should have been ready years ago. <sigh> I hope when the replacements for the 52-footers are finally developed and built that they perform as well in the really awful stuff as Victory, but I'll bet they won't have as much class as she has.

On 2/1/2021 1:25 PM, Case wrote:
My favorite CG boat ever. Pretty amazing boat.
I got to go for a short cruise on her across the bay once.

https://newportnewstimes.com/article/victory-the-queen-of-the-fleet
Laws are like cobwebs which may catch small flies, but let wasps and hornets break through. (Jonathan Swift)

George C

Here's a great video of Victory along with a 47' playing in the waves. It might have been posted here before. I love  Victory's motion and how she take the waves, not near as dampened as the 47. Also like how she is painted white.

I've watched this video way too many times.

George

On 2/1/2021 1:25 PM, Case wrote:
> My favorite CG boat ever. Pretty amazing boat.
>
> I got to go for a short cruise on her across the bay once.
>
>> https://newportnewstimes.com/article/victory-the-queen-of-the-fleet

Laws are like cobwebs which may catch small flies, but let wasps and
hornets break through. (Jonathan Swift)

Roger Padvorac

I'm ignoring most email for the time being, but wondered at the size and subject of this one.

Previously I hadn't paid attention to the difference between the 52' and 47' boats.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/47-foot_Motor_Lifeboat
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/52-foot_Motor_Lifeboat

In short, the 47' boat is a wimp compared to the 52' boat.

You are right, they are amazing - the pictures in those Wikipedia articles says it all.

I'd be very surprised if this country builds a useful replacement for the 52' boats. The navy has a pretty poor track record for the last decade.

Every day I take a look at RT.com because its a reliable source of bad news that will affect my life (like efforts to cut Social Security). There are a surprising number of WA/OR articles there. I also read some of the compare and contrast opinion essays there.

Our culture has lost the competence of the mid 20th century - too many people stopped doing the hard thankless work of cultural stewardship and we've lost a lot of our cultural capital.

* * * *
The 47' boats started coming into service in 1997, and there are 227 of them, so they will be around for a while.

You say the 52' boats are saved for the really difficult situations.

How often do the 47' boats turn out to be inadequate, and a 52' boat is used, and in what kinds of circumstances?

I've survived my adventures by paying attention to the fallback options, which is why I put some thought into this subject, once I took a look at it.

* * * *
After I thought a bit, I wondered, what do you mean by old?

Engines and steering gear can be rebuilt or replaced, and on a boat like this there isn't much else that is essential, expensive, and takes a lot of work to maintain.

Why don't they just replace the engines and steering gear?

Sincerely,
Roger

On 2/1/2021 1:25 PM, Case wrote:
My favorite CG boat ever. Pretty amazing boat.

I got to go for a short cruise on her across the bay once.

https://newportnewstimes.com/article/victory-the-queen-of-the-fleet
Laws are like cobwebs which may catch small flies, but let wasps and hornets break through. (Jonathan Swift)

George C

Roger,

The article that John linked in his original post gave the example of a failed generator resulting in losing the radar and navigation system during a rescue. Anyways, I'm sure there are much more systems on this boat then just the engine and steering.

George

On Tuesday, February 2, 2021, 8:00:46 PM PST, Roger Padvorac <roger@...> wrote:

> [...]

> close behind. But they're Old. It's getting so it's hard to keep
> them going, so Victory sits idle, waiting to be used only when her
> capabilities are _really_ needed. I'll miss the 52s when they're
> gone, but their replacements should have been ready years ago.
> <sigh> I hope when the replacements for the 52-footers are finally
> developed and built that they perform as well in the really awful
> stuff as Victory, but I'll bet they won't have as much class as she
> has.
>
> On 2/1/2021 1:25 PM, Case wrote:
>> My favorite CG boat ever. Pretty amazing boat.
>>
>> I got to go for a short cruise on her across the bay once.
>>
>>> https://newportnewstimes.com/article/victory-the-queen-of-the-fleet
>
> --
> John <jkohnen@...>
> Laws are like cobwebs which may catch small flies, but let wasps and

Jove Lachman-Curl

Great video, thanks for sharing.
I'm curious why the 52 seems to climb higher off a wave, and dive deeper, someone said less damped, but how does one damp a hull in as it crashes into a wave? ribs or chines might dive in less efficiently which would be damping I suppose. The 47 is a playing hull that is ribbed.
-Jove

On Tue, Feb 2, 2021 at 8:26 PM George C via groups.io <glcost2=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
> [...]

> close behind. But they're Old. It's getting so it's hard to keep
> them going, so Victory sits idle, waiting to be used only when her
> capabilities are _really_ needed. I'll miss the 52s when they're
> gone, but their replacements should have been ready years ago.
> <sigh> I hope when the replacements for the 52-footers are finally
> developed and built that they perform as well in the really awful
> stuff as Victory, but I'll bet they won't have as much class as she
> has.
>
> On 2/1/2021 1:25 PM, Case wrote:
>> My favorite CG boat ever. Pretty amazing boat.
>>
>> I got to go for a short cruise on her across the bay once.
>>
>>> https://newportnewstimes.com/article/victory-the-queen-of-the-fleet
>
> --
> John <jkohnen@...>
> Laws are like cobwebs which may catch small flies, but let wasps and

Jove Lachman-Curl

This is "thunder child" a high speed ocean rescue and interceptor.
Designed and built in Cork, where I went to college, although I only learned of these guys after I left for the USA.
More boats bouncing over big waves from the safety of my couch. :)
-Jove

On Tue, Feb 2, 2021 at 10:34 PM Jove Lachman-Curl via groups.io <jovelc87=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
> [...]

> close behind. But they're Old. It's getting so it's hard to keep
> them going, so Victory sits idle, waiting to be used only when her
> capabilities are _really_ needed. I'll miss the 52s when they're
> gone, but their replacements should have been ready years ago.
> <sigh> I hope when the replacements for the 52-footers are finally
> developed and built that they perform as well in the really awful
> stuff as Victory, but I'll bet they won't have as much class as she
> has.
>
> On 2/1/2021 1:25 PM, Case wrote:
>> My favorite CG boat ever. Pretty amazing boat.
>>
>> I got to go for a short cruise on her across the bay once.
>>
>>> https://newportnewstimes.com/article/victory-the-queen-of-the-fleet
>
> --
> John <jkohnen@...>
> Laws are like cobwebs which may catch small flies, but let wasps and

George C

Yea, I was wondering the same. The video shows a good comparison in their behavior. Victory has a natural fore and aft rock and side to side roll response while the 47' seems forced. Victory does have a displacement hull and is a double-ender and the 47 is a planing hull with a wide stern. Still seems to be more to it.

On Tuesday, February 2, 2021, 10:34:52 PM PST, Jove Lachman-Curl <jovelc87@...> wrote:

> [...]

> close behind. But they're Old. It's getting so it's hard to keep
> them going, so Victory sits idle, waiting to be used only when her
> capabilities are _really_ needed. I'll miss the 52s when they're
> gone, but their replacements should have been ready years ago.
> <sigh> I hope when the replacements for the 52-footers are finally
> developed and built that they perform as well in the really awful
> stuff as Victory, but I'll bet they won't have as much class as she
> has.
>
> On 2/1/2021 1:25 PM, Case wrote:
>> My favorite CG boat ever. Pretty amazing boat.
>>
>> I got to go for a short cruise on her across the bay once.
>>
>>> https://newportnewstimes.com/article/victory-the-queen-of-the-fleet
>
> --
> John <jkohnen@...>
> Laws are like cobwebs which may catch small flies, but let wasps and

Dan

Similar...

Case Turner

Roger wrote:

“You say the 52' boats are saved for the really difficult situations.

How often do the 47' boats turn out to be inadequate, and a 52' boat is used, and in what kinds of circumstances?”

Where the 52’ really shines is it’s long range towing capabilities. The range and the amount that it can safely tow is considerably more that that if the 47’. For Newport with its large commercial fleet the Victory has been a workhorse its entire service.

Hard shoes to fill for sure when she won’t be able Tom make those long runs to tow home a disabled boat.

Case

On Feb 2, 2021, at 8:00 PM, Roger Padvorac <roger@skilledwright.com> wrote:

You say the 52' boats are saved for the really difficult situations.

How often do the 47' boats turn out to be inadequate, and a 52' boat is used, and in what kinds of circumstances?
--
Dirt

George C

Hi Dan,

It's more of a combination. Traditional double-ender with the planing bottom of the 47... so even more capable, haha.

That was a memorable day cruising up to Newport. Funny thing, I remember it as a warm sunny day and forgot about the foggy morning.

I like the photo you sent towing your boat in the snow too.

George

On Wednesday, February 3, 2021, 2:03:57 AM PST, Dan <danashore@...> wrote:

Similar...

George C

Newport has a CG Cutter, right?  Disabled vessels will have to wait longer for help.

On Wednesday, February 3, 2021, 4:43:19 AM PST, Case Turner <casesturner@...> wrote:

Roger wrote:

“You say the 52' boats are saved for the really difficult situations.

How often do the 47' boats turn out to be inadequate, and a 52' boat is used, and in what kinds of circumstances?”

Where the 52’ really shines is it’s long range towing capabilities. The range and the amount that it can safely tow is considerably more that that if the 47’. For Newport with its large commercial fleet the Victory has been a workhorse its entire service.

Hard shoes to fill for sure when she won’t be able Tom make those long runs to tow home a disabled boat.

Case

> On Feb 2, 2021, at 8:00 PM, Roger Padvorac <roger@...> wrote:
>
> You say the 52' boats are saved for the really difficult situations.
>
> How often do the 47' boats turn out to be inadequate, and a 52' boat is used, and in what kinds of circumstances?

--
Dirt

Case Turner

No Newport does not have a cutter. The Victory is it!

Sent from not here

On Feb 3, 2021, at 11:15 AM, George C via groups.io <glcost2=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Newport has a CG Cutter, right? Disabled vessels will have to wait longer for help.

I'd like to see some footage of what's going on in the wheelhouse when Thunder Child land after flying through the air off of the top of a wave. <g> Somewhere I saw a video of a new RNLI lifeboat being tried out by the crew at her assigned station. There were shots inside the wheelhouse of smiling lifeboatmen sitting in sprung seats with what looked like at least a couple of feet of travel! :o) But the boat wasn't flying through the air like Thunder Child. <g>

The Thunder Child video doesn't give much time to what happens when the waves get to bad for flying through the air. Mentioning that the boat just tries to get along slowly and keep her crew safe. I'll bet it's a handful in a following sea with that fat ass...

BTW, the RNLI is an interesting organization. Almost all the lifeboatmen and lifeboatwomen (or are they all "lifeboatmen" whatever their sex, like all commercial fishermen?) are volunteers, and the Institution is a charity. It's also something that the Irish and English agree on. ;o)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_National_Lifeboat_Institution

On 2/2/2021 10:50 PM, Jove wrote:
This is "thunder child" a high speed ocean rescue and interceptor.
Designed and built in Cork, where I went to college, although I only learned of these guys after I left for the USA.
More boats bouncing over big waves from the safety of my couch. :)
https://vimeo.com/202978684 <https://vimeo.com/202978684>
I have noticed that people who are late are often so much jollier than the people who have to wait for them. (Edward Verrall Lucas)

Newport doesn't have a cutter. A 110' cutter, Orcas, has been stationed at Coos Bay for thirty-some-odd years, but it's going away this year. <sigh> Replaced by a "fast response" cutter based in Asotria:

https://preview.tinyurl.com/5breul2j

https://www.portofcoosbay.com/new-room/2017/10/13/from-the-source-uscgc-orcas

and

https://preview.tinyurl.com/1tjg66nn

or

https://theworldlink.com/news/local/u-s-coast-guard-patrol-boat-orcas-to-be-replaced-in-2021/article_482fbe43-b882-51f1-ac5b-2538d7f8ca0f.html

On 2/3/2021 11:11 AM, George C wrote:
Newport has a CG Cutter, right?  Disabled vessels will have to wait longer for help.
Just think of the tragedy of teaching children not to doubt. (Clarence Darrow)

Some years ago the CG decreed that the 47-footers couldn't go out if the seas were above some moderately awful, but not uncommon on our coast, height. IIRC, the surfmen weren't happy about the restriction. Maybe it got rescinded later? The 52s were the only lifeboats allowed out when the 47s were grounded.

On 2/3/2021 4:43 AM, Case Turner wrote:
Roger wrote:
“You say the 52' boats are saved for the really difficult situations.
How often do the 47' boats turn out to be inadequate, and a 52' boat is used, and in what kinds of circumstances?”
Where the 52’ really shines is it’s long range towing capabilities. The range and the amount that it can safely tow is considerably more that that if the 47’. For Newport with its large commercial fleet the Victory has been a workhorse its entire service.
Hard shoes to fill for sure when she won’t be able Tom make those long runs to tow home a disabled boat.
Winter, a lingering season, is a time to gather golden moments, embark upon a sentimental journey, and enjoy every idle hour. (John Boswell)

Jove Lachman-Curl

You're right John, it might be one of the few things they agree on.
I saw an interview with an RNLI volunteer lifeboatman in Ireland and he said he does it for the ride. Going out during a big storm is the ride of a lifetime.
What is the coast guard boat in florence? I've kayaked past it, might be a cutter, looks bigger than a lifeboat.
-Jove

On 2/2/2021 10:50 PM, Jove wrote:
> This is "thunder child" a high speed ocean rescue and interceptor.
> Designed and built in Cork, where I went to college, although I only
> learned of these guys after I left for the USA.
> More boats bouncing over big waves from the safety of my couch. :)
> https://vimeo.com/202978684 <https://vimeo.com/202978684>

I have noticed that people who are late are often so much jollier than
the people who have to wait for them. (Edward Verrall Lucas)

Thanks for the video, George. Too bad they spoiled an otherwise great video with some annoying speeding up and slowing down. <sigh> No surf play, unfortunately, but a few years a go all the 52s got together at Newport:

https://youtu.be/Qrw1Mi3Qgas

The steel 52-footers were built to replace two wooden lifeboats of the same length. One of them, Triumph, was involved in a tragic rescue attempt on the Columbia River bar:

https://youtu.be/r_WsitQSNeg

The other, Invincible, ended it's days as a commercial fishing boat. She was broken up at River Bend after Bill Wechter had bought her for her aluminum house, and then, IIRC, had sold her to another fisherman, who never got her back in the water.

On 2/2/2021 7:39 PM, George C wrote:
Here's a great video of Victory along with a 47' playing in the waves. It might have been posted here before. I love  Victory's motion and how she take the waves, not near as dampened as the 47. Also like how she is painted white.
I've watched this video way too many times.
https://youtu.be/SGhFxYf2ixc <https://youtu.be/SGhFxYf2ixc>
Socialism never took root in America because the poor see themselves not as an exploited proletariat, but as temporarily embarrassed millionaires. (John Steinbeck)

The Florence CG station has a 47-foot motor lifeboat. Please pardon the F******k link:

https://www.facebook.com/USCoastGuardSTASiuslawRiver/

It's possible that a cutter, probably Orcas, was visiting when you went kayaking by.

I've had a soft spot in my heart of the old 36-foot MLBs after a Sea Scout trip across the bar at Florence years ago...

Here's an interesting video about the CG lifeboats here in the NW:

https://youtu.be/1S2Sid2EfCg

On 2/3/2021 1:27 PM, Jove wrote:
You're right John, it might be one of the few things they agree on.
I saw an interview with an RNLI volunteer lifeboatman in Ireland and he said he does it for the ride. Going out during a big storm is the ride of a lifetime.
What is the coast guard boat in florence? I've kayaked past it, might be a cutter, looks bigger than a lifeboat.
If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most. A small sailing craft is not only beautiful, it is seductive and full of strange promise and the hint of trouble. (E. B. White)