Topics

Underwater Vision Update

Electri-Cal

Great morning at Fern Ridge res.,  All systems go, at last, time to check out the camera in the green water,  Nope, not going to show anything that is not green and fuzzy.  If it was on a 20 foot pole the camera might get down there below the salad.  But that is not the purpose, so I guess unless the water is clear this is not of interest.  Couldn't pick up the red hull at a foot away, but at the $ 35. price I didn;t expect wide screen and stereo.  The wide screen $ 25. auto camera still is not working, several wiring questions and "is it that underwater sealed" is still a valid question.  If it doesn't even turn on or show life, it's not a player anyhow.  I have a 2 ft. pole with a mount, but need to make a way longer one to get below the algi line, maybe??

The problem is that the dedicated units are not nearly as small and easy to hide in a snag free mount on the center line !!!  Sooo , I plan to get  the larger size and spend the bucks, then make a mount that is located where I can get to it for docking or cleaning or adjusting the range.  That looks to be some trouble to get right, and cost several times more than my  current one, possibly still will not see that much better.  The cost is a lot more, but maybe be a more workable solution.

HOWEVER -- one or a couple tries furthur first..  Looking at going to the clearer lakes, with the sensor set into a pole that can get lower under water.  That way I can check the visability better, sure as heck needs to be better than today.  So, long story short, I will see if another clearer water location will be better, or if boat movement is just too much for these smaller and easier to mount units.  Would be nice to get better answers before I chip in bigger bucks.

So -- don't buy one of these things yet, if they can't produce a good photo of obstructions it might  be a waste.  I'm still hoping for more that zero success, but not on algi filled lakes, eh ??   Can;t mount inside depth "pucks" on a wood boat without holes or tubes, or unusual mounts faired into the hull.plus the cone of pickup areas still don't point forward to work well.

All the best, stay tuned,   Cal

Electri-Cal

AARGH !!  I made a mount for holding the sensor on a pole underwater, another trial rig for dry mounting through the hull, with the syn. sapphire watch chrystal lens,  The sensor// camera pickup got lodged in the mount, s I carefully CRACKED the built in lens.  Now to decide if I want to try that again, or go for the as advertised "fishing " camera which is over an inch bigger.  It does have regular and infrared lights for night vision, a very tempting thought for the extra bucks.  Bigger screen, longer range, etc., so if I wanted to start over it basically is another unit, that is more bucks.  Thinking about that  more versatile drop tube or flip up holder for better access without holes or through hull mounts, stay tuned as I will get this set to show those pesky rocks and stuff that eats props.  DARN< DARN< DARN !!!

Later,   Cal

How many broken propellers could you have replaced with the money you're spending on your underwater vision project? ;o)

I know, I know, the fun of playing around with the gadgets is priceless. :o)

I think I warned you that when you got the underwater camera working you'd go searching for clear lakes. <g> It's not algae that make Fern Ridge opaque. There's a lot of fine clay that gets suspended in the water, so even in that deep spot by the dam where Charley's friend says the abandoned locomotive lies you can't see anything.

On 8/4/2020 6:12 PM, Electri-Cal wrote:
AARGH !!  I made a mount for holding the sensor on a pole underwater, another trial rig for dry mounting through the hull, with the syn. sapphire watch chrystal lens,  The sensor// camera pickup got lodged in the mount, s I carefully CRACKED the built in lens.  Now to decide if I want to try that again, or go for the as advertised "fishing " camera which is over an inch bigger.  It does have regular and infrared lights for night vision, a very tempting thought for the extra bucks.  Bigger screen, longer range, etc., so if I wanted to start over it basically is another unit, that is more bucks.  Thinking about that  more versatile drop tube or flip up holder for better access without holes or through hull mounts, stay tuned as I will get this set to show those pesky rocks and stuff that eats props.  DARN< DARN< DARN !!!
What is more pleasant than a friendly little yacht, a long stretch of smooth water, a gentle breeze, the stars? (Billy Atkin)

Hi, John -- Yep so far I could have bought 1 1/2 props for those bucks.  Would like to nsee below that summer algae cloud though.  Yes, you did do that, thanks back at you for the heads up.  However, i'm not one to be deterred without a bit more checking.  Charlies friend had what equipment to use??  Mine did not work as well as hoped, partly because not enough light source.  Then I broke the lens, and stopped the whole operation, but I did learn that you cannot see without a bigger unit and better vision.  I found one with both regular and NIGHT VISION sensors, more money but could make it all better, or not !!  For the cost, I need a good idea that will work, gotta pay to play.  Bigger sensor, more light is Probably Better from 1 ft down ??

Too bad the bigger unit I bought -- that comes in 3 plug in parts is a non starter, nobody can seem to get a picture on the screen, ---  defective, accidental short, trial and misplugging, factory defect, stupidity  or other ???  I do have a 12 volt lab power source, so I can bench test, an important part when looking at different systems to install later in the boat.

I now know a forward facing very small 3/8 inch tube depth finder most likely will not work, so a  bigger and brighter camers is the next "look see" with more research added.  I will probably mount it on the side where I can lower, and raise it easier.  I would like a sender that wirelessly transmits to my phone, but then I would probably have the stereo bluetooth sound system interfering with the depth signal.  The electric motor power is hard on the depth finder as it is, starts overloading the screen with static at over lower trolling speeds.

1 1/2 props, and counting... ;o) But you're having fun. :o)

Charley knows a fellow whose family owned some property that's now at the bottom of Fern Ridge. May be a Richardson, I don't recall. Anyway, he told Charley that when They finished building the dam in 1941 They abandoned a steam locomotive in what's now the deepest part of the lake, by the spillway -- "the part where it's a hundred feet deep." Hmmm... Methinks the tale might have grown in the telling. <g> Maybe some equipment was abandoned on the future lakebed, but over the years the size of that equipment, and the depth, have grown significantly. ;o)

https://oregonlakesatlas.org/lake/17090003017645#text-section

On 8/7/2020 8:09 AM, Electri-Cal wrote:
Hi, John -- Yep so far I could have bought 1 1/2 props for those bucks. ...
Charlies friend had what equipment to use?? ...
Only ignorance! Only ignorance! How can you talk about only ignorance? Don't you know that it is the worst thing in the world, next to wickedness? (Anna Sewell)

Ah, yep !  Good article, maybe we can find thet 'ol locomotive or whatever in the spring, with max. clearer water levels.  The bushing Charlie and I coccockted is good for all larger props, I used a drill bit to check sizes so now a lot more props are available for testing.  I think i'll get one more, or both of the two available locally.  If we find a super duper combo, I can press fit to make a permanent adaptor easy.   Depth camera not so easy, that is experimental, but i'm getting closer, ---  now to get lucky !!!  I didn't see many fish the other day, but looked at "pings" on maybe 8 that I would count.  A bit much chemical crud to eat any though, unless fertilizer runoff is tastier than I think.

Later,   Cal

They probably just abandoned a wheelbarrow or two when they were done building the dam. ;o)

It'll be interesting to see how the different props work on the trolling motors. Be sure to keep your eye on the ammeter when doing your trials.

On 8/8/2020 5:05 AM, Electri-Cal wrote:
Ah, yep !  Good article, maybe we can find thet 'ol locomotive or whatever in the spring, with max. clearer water levels.  The bushing Charlie and I coccockted is good for all larger props, I used a drill bit to check sizes so now a lot more props are available for testing.
If we do not provide against corruption, our government will soon be at an end. (George Mason at the start of the Constitutional Convention)