Topics

Tuffy's Electrics

Tuffy's cuddy ("cabin" gives the wrong idea about it's comforts) is comfortable enough to lie down in, after your carefully back yourself into place on one of the bunks, and you can even roll over if you're careful, but it's mighty difficult for a grown Coot to _work_ in. <sigh> So I've done as much of the revamping of the electrics as possible outside the boat.

There was an extra furlong of battery cable going this way and that, feeding 24 volts to the motor and drawing off one battery for 12 volts for everything else. I ripped most of those cables out and put in a 24-12 volt convertor to supply everything but the motor. I added a little of my own complication by adding a shunt for a Link 10 ammeter and battery monitor, and fuses for the Link 10 and a depth sounder. This panel will screw onto the inside of the port cuddy bulkhead, then I just need to attach a few wires. Wish me luck. I'll try to remember to have my cell phone along, in case I get stuck:

https://flic.kr/p/2j6BdVV

There's a fuse panel and other 12 volt stuff on the inside of the starboard bulhead. I'm afraid to look at it. <g> For now, I'll just feed it 12 volts to it and hope for the best. It's getting to be time to go sailing! :o)

Society is like a stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you get a lot of scum on the top. (Edward Abbey)

Wish I'd known that, John.  I have enough electric stuff to do what you just did, or close to that.  I have a voltage led indicator that simply plugs into a ciggie lighter, voltage, rope end burner, floodlight plug, and depth finder input socket is more the point.  Good idea on the ammeter,  The voltage reducers I have work slick, probably have one or more laying around.  Biggest leftover item is a big 3 deep cycle battery charger, seperate for each drive battery, two to supply the 24 volt, plus one spare for take offs, reading lights, etc.  Fully automatic, commercial tough, and fast charge.  If you find somebody who needs 3 batteries charged, let me know, as this is a stand alone unit that doesn't do my twin 24v. two packs at once, so I'm probably relisting that soon. I added super plugs for easy maintenence, but I never used it. Could drop out the spare battery, just charge two, as an optional way to do it.

Just a note,   Cal

Thanks, Cal, but I had some of the stuff already myself, and the voltage reducer wasn't expensive. (Sorry, Bob, there just wasn't room for that 30 lb. vacuum tube DC/DC convertor you gave me. <g>). The Link 10 combines a battery monitor with an ammeter, and came with a suitable shunt.

I might be interested in the big battery charger. It will charge just two batteries OK? How many amps maximum output? The 24 volt charger that came with Tuffy is a slow wheelchair battery charger.

But there's no place to plug in a charger out at Richardson. <sigh> Any ideas about a suitable 24 volt solar panel setup?

Oh, and a shout out to Earl! The hydraulic press I got from him works dandy for crimping battery cable terminals (with a suitable crimping gadget I already had). :o)

On 5/29/2020 3:16 PM, Electri-Cal wrote:
Wish I'd known that, John.  I have enough electric stuff to do what you just did, or close to that.  I have a voltage led indicator that simply ...
Biggest leftover item is a big 3 deep cycle battery charger, seperate for each drive battery, two to supply the 24 volt, plus one spare for take offs, reading lights, etc.
let me know, as this is a stand alone unit that doesn't do my twin 24v. two packs at once, so I'm probably relisting that soon. I added super plugs for easy maintenence, but I never used it. Could drop out the spare battery, just charge two, as an optional way to do it.
All loose things seem to drift down to the sea, and so did I. (Louis L'Amour)

In case anyone tuned in late, my Nordica 16, Tuffy, has what I think is half of Cal's electric motor setup on Surprise. I have on 80 lb. Minn Kota bolt-on motor bolted to the side of Tuffy's keel, and Cal has two bolted to Surprise's bottom.

On 5/29/2020 11:55 PM, John Kohnen wrote:
Thanks, Cal, but I had some of the stuff already myself, and the voltage reducer wasn't expensive. (Sorry, Bob, there just wasn't room for that 30 lb. vacuum tube DC/DC convertor you gave me. <g>). The Link 10 combines a battery monitor with an ammeter, and came with a suitable shunt.
Next to power without honor, the most dangerous thing in the world is power without humor. (Eric Sevareid)